It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why does GMAT test reading comprehension & critical reasoning?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 60

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Why does GMAT test reading comprehension & critical reasoning? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 22:23
What's the purpose? Even CAT in India also tests logical reasoning as well as reading comprehension. However, the comprehension tested in CAT is different from the one tested by GMAC.
It is advised to read the economist to improve verbal. Why? Economist even has official link gmat.economist. Is there a collusion? lol.
Is the point just to improve verbal and take GMAT? I have given glances to some articles on economist. I found them easier than Wall Street journal's. But I am not an avid reader so cannot comment much on the word construction. But in those glances, I have found economist better and interesting than wsj.

My verbal lacks especially reading comprehension. However, what is the purpose of torturing oneself and reading the economist without interest only for the purpose of exam to enhance one's score? I believe it doesn't help later in life. I am not saying that it is useless but I believe I can very well have a career in finance without coming across such complicated constructions, without being an enthusiastic reader. I love reading fiction. I have even read some non fiction works, but obviously the grasp is a lot better on fiction. Non-fiction works by Michael Lewis are not an easy read. But it is only the interest and not the necessity is what I mean that makes you a reader.

I know one will ask why to test quant then?

May be quant and verbal are important for the universities that hire students for their programs. It is their way of setting apart the students on the basis of the score. They want to improve their hiring rates. Thus, the higher the score the better. And because quant & verbal are an essential cognitive abilities (not necessarily one needs to excel and have a 700+ IQ except for exam purposes). Therefore, even though GMAT is not the only criteria, it is a very significant critieria. Obviously the student who scored 700+ and who has an IQ better than the 600+, who has better reading capabilities will be having higher chances solely on the basis of his score. However, when it comes down to career and real life situations, I very well think that an employee with an IQ of 600+ with lower comprehension abilities for GMAT can very well do well, because the real world is devoid of such complex constructions and passages that GMAC offers. Just as one does not need to solve permutations and probabilities problems being an associate of some Investment Bank.

Does someone want to share his/her thoughts? :-)

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Why does GMAT test reading comprehension & critical reasoning? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 00:38
Hello, It seems you are very frustrated with the test.

FIrst of all, the link https://gmat.economist.com/ is not an official GMAC link; it is the website of Economist GMAT Tutor for coaching students for GMAT.

Also, the verbal sections of reading comprehension and critical reasoning are tested by GMAC because the score gives an idea(estimate) of the student's ability to understand and process information to get to a conclusion on solid information. You can argue that maybe the student who scores less also can do that, but a better score implies higher probability that the student can do those tasks better than others.

In fact, these kinds of arguments can be made for any test. A test will not be 100% perfectly designed for every student. It will try to minimize the variables in assessing some key required skills. Also, MBA has many fields(not only finance) and hence the test does not only test the necessities of finance or any other field.
No test can be perfect to assess the student's ability to do something, and this situation is known to the school(adcom), hence the school also consider other criteria for evaluation.

Reading articles from Economist and other sources is just a recommendation for people to improve their reading comprehension skills, and if you want to gain a better score you have to improve the skills you are weak in. There is no other way even if you don't like it.

This is my understanding of the test and its usefulness.
I would suggest that you accept the GMAT for what it is and try to overcome your weaknesses and beat the test. :)

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

GMAT PREP1: 660 ( Q50, V30). (CR 41, RC 22, SC 27).
GMAT PREP: 740, 750, 760, 740, 740.

GMAT EXAM ( 4th November 2017). TARGET 760!! GOT 760!!

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Re: Why does GMAT test reading comprehension & critical reasoning? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 09:20
DIII wrote:
Hello, It seems you are very frustrated with the test.

FIrst of all, the link https://gmat.economist.com/ is not an official GMAC link; it is the website of Economist GMAT Tutor for coaching students for GMAT.

I would suggest that you accept the GMAT for what it is and try to overcome your weaknesses and beat the test. :)

Hahah! Not very but may be frustrated yes! And there is no other way than this alas! :|

Re: Why does GMAT test reading comprehension & critical reasoning?   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2017, 09:20

Why does GMAT test reading comprehension & critical reasoning?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap