GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Jan 2020, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wish to seek advice on full-time or part-time EMBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Wish to seek advice on full-time or part-time EMBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2014, 18:46
Hi everyone

I'd like to seek your advice on whether I should go for a full-time or part-time EMBA Program and which schools might be best fit?

1. Age (at application): 41 Yrs
2. Background: Singaporean, married with 3 kids, aged 11, 8 and 4.
2. Education: Bachelor (4 Yr full-time, engineering, NUS in Singapore), Masters in Engineering (2 Yr part-time, NUS), Masters in Financial Engineering (1.5 Yr part-time, NUS),
3. Work exp (at application): 15 years
4. Current Job: Associate Director at a Big 4 based in Singapore. In Advisory services, doing consulting for banks and insurance companies, 3+ direct reports, and usually 5+ indirect reports on projects (extended team). Areas of expertise include target operating model design, business process re-engineering, business transformation and technology strategy. I also have a strong industry focus on Private Wealth Management, especially in Asia, HK and SG.
5. Progression: In my 5 yrs after being with my current firm, I have moved from Manager to Associate Director and taken on Business Development roles in addition to delivery. I am seriously considering MBA to broaden my skillset.
6. GMAT: 635 (last taken in 2009, now expired)
7. Application Target: A program starting in Jun 2015 or Jan 2016
8. Target Schools: INSEAD EMBA, IMD EMBA, Chicago Booth EMBA, Kellogg-HKUST EMBA, Oxford EMBA
9. Post-MBA: Still in the consulting line and moving on to more Business Development / Commercial roles with my current employer (#1); CEO or COO office of large multinational (#2) in certain industries.

Additional info:
- I previously applied to Oxford full-time MBA and got in. Unfortunately I had to reject it due to unforseen family circumstances.
- I'm pretty sure I should be aiming for an EMBA, not full-time MBA as I'm too old now (missed the boat to do a MBA when I was young).

- I've a preference to stay with my current employer and do a 'part-time' EMBA. As such, my choices are international EMBAs (preferably with an Asia focus) like INSEAD, Chicago Booth (run out of HK), Kellogg-HKUST (run out of HK), or even IMD or Oxford (though I have to fly into Switzerland or London every month).
- However, staying with my employer limits my program choices, especially the good US ones like MIT Sloan Fellows, Wharton EMBA. Those programs are done on weekends in the US - I can't travel that far, unless I take a year's leave from the current job and re-locate to US for a year to finish the program. In which case there is a risk my employer won't want me back after a year and I also have several mouths to feed at home.
- Of course, doing the full-time EMBA would also give me time off for learning, development and reflection.

- I also have the choice of UCLA-NUS (based in Singapore). But I have three degrees from NUS and frankly, want to experience a totally new, non-Singaporean school. The other EMba based out of Singapore is INSEAD - but very competitive, tough to get in.
- I do not want to do "executive education" type of programes like those offered by Harvard. I want a full, undiluted MBA.

My key questions:
1. Should I quit / take a year off the current job and take a 'full-time' EMBA (preferably a very good school, including weekend programs in the US like Sloan, Wharton, etc.)? But risk not having a job after that - no guarantees my employer will want me back.

2. Do you think it is reasonable / or crazy for me to fly into HK or even London and do my "part-time" EMBA? More feasible choices would be programs based in Singapore, e.g. INSEAD EMBA. But in Singapore there are now no longer many good choices (Booth moved to HK last year). I like the Oxford name actually but am fearful that traveling to London almost every month is not feasible if I hold on to my current job in Singapore.

3. Should I re-take my GMAT? Or ignore it and apply for a waiver? I have good quantitative skills, i.e. Masters in Financial Engineering. For INSEAD, should I do GMAT or take their "EMBA Admissions Test"?

Appreciate any views you may have. Many thanks!
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wish to seek advice on full-time or part-time EMBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 12:44
tanhw wrote:
1. Should I quit / take a year off the current job and take a 'full-time' EMBA (preferably a very good school, including weekend programs in the US like Sloan, Wharton, etc.)? But risk not having a job after that - no guarantees my employer will want me back.

2. Do you think it is reasonable / or crazy for me to fly into HK or even London and do my "part-time" EMBA? More feasible choices would be programs based in Singapore, e.g. INSEAD EMBA. But in Singapore there are now no longer many good choices (Booth moved to HK last year). I like the Oxford name actually but am fearful that traveling to London almost every month is not feasible if I hold on to my current job in Singapore.

3. Should I re-take my GMAT? Or ignore it and apply for a waiver? I have good quantitative skills, i.e. Masters in Financial Engineering. For INSEAD, should I do GMAT or take their "EMBA Admissions Test"?

Did you figure out what you wanted to do? Just so you are aware, EMBA's are typically neither part-time nor full-time. They are just considered different. There's much less flexibility (than for example, a part-time program) because you start and finish with your cohort. You can't take a semester off to do something else. If you are considering an EMBA, you should be fully committed to it. Also, since you have so many graduate degrees already, WHY are you wanting to get an EMBA? Are you looking to further your current career? Change careers? EMBA programs typically do not offer or heavily limits recruiting and job placement because they assume that you are just going to be progressing in your current job/career.

Want a 6.0 on the AWA?
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 12:49
I am moving this to the Executive MBA sub-forum. Thanks.

Want a 6.0 on the AWA?
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 01:52
tanhw wrote:
Hi everyone

I'd like to seek your advice on whether I should go for a full-time or part-time EMBA Program and which schools might be best fit?

8. Target Schools: INSEAD EMBA, IMD EMBA, Chicago Booth EMBA, Kellogg-HKUST EMBA, Oxford EMBA

- I've a preference to stay with my current employer and do a 'part-time' EMBA. As such, my choices are international EMBAs (preferably with an Asia focus) like INSEAD, Chicago Booth (run out of HK), Kellogg-HKUST (run out of HK), or even IMD or Oxford (though I have to fly into Switzerland or London every month).

Have you made a decision yet? I'm considering the same programs in 2016 and will also be based out of Singapore. The Booth & Kellogg programs out of HK are pretty attractive since the travel time is short and the programs are top notch. I'm also considering Oxford for the brand power and experience, but it's a much longer trip. There is also a program between WHU (Germany) and Kellogg, quite similar to the Kellogg-HKUST program.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2015, 10:05
Hello tanhw,
You have a lot to consider before making your decision so it's great you're reaching out for advice. Based on what you've shared so far, your profile likely aligns well with Executive MBA Programs given your years of work experience, your age, and the type of experience you have already. Most EMBA students continue working during their studies but it will be a big commitment (especially with travel) so make sure you are able to dedicate yourself to this if you choose this route. The global EMBA program options have a lot to offer and if you can, attend any local information sessions and try to meet with current students or alumni to learn more about their experiences.
Have you also looked into some of the modular EMBA programs, like Trium (joint program with NYU Stern, LSE, and HEC) or Columbia EMBA Global (joint program with CBS, HKU, and LBS)? Some EMBA programs do not require the GMAT so that's something else to consider. If you'd like to speak to someone at Fortuna (such as the former Director of Admissions at INSEAD), we can set up a free 30-minute call. I also have extensive experience with EMBA programs and for more info about our firm, Fortuna Admissions, take a look online: www.fortunaadmissions.com. Good luck with your decision.
Take care,
Dina
Re: Wish to seek advice on full-time or part-time EMBA?   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2015, 10:05

Wish to seek advice on full-time or part-time EMBA?

new topic post reply Update application status