Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [53]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [23]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [17]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3808 [5]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: With adjustments for inflation, the relative cost of welfare benefits [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Option "C" vs "D" -

Cause ->adjustments for inflation
Effect-1 -> relative cost of welfare benefits dropping
Effect-2 (Final Effect) -> welfare program now cost less

The final effect should always refer to the main cause not the previous effect (intermediate cause).

option "C" - Resulting would refer back to the relative cost (final effect refers to previous effect - wrong )
option "D" - and as a result clearly mean that welfare program now cost less because of adjustments for inflation (final effect refers to main cause - correct)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [1]
Send PM
Re: With adjustments for inflation, the relative cost of welfare benefits [#permalink]
Kudos
D. "it: in C is not correct. it should be they. also need "than" after less to make the comparision logical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
biddu wrote:
With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare benefits has been dropping since 1973, resulting in the welfare program now costing about 3 billion real dollars less to implement than in 1973

(a)resulting in the welfare program now costing about 3 billion real dollars less to implement than
(b)resulting in the welfare program now costing about 3 billion real dollars less to implement as
(c)resulting in the welfare program now costing about 3 billion real dollars less to implement than it did
(d)and as a result the welfare program now costs about 3 billion real dollars less to implement than it did
(e)and the welfare program now costs about 3 billion real dollars less as a result to implement than

V~ing phrase following a sentence with a comma mainly serves two grammatical functions:
1) it can refer back to the subject of the main clause, which in this case is "the cost"
2) it can also refer to the "whole thought" of the sentence: that the cost has been dropping since 1973.
A per this question, I think the second rule seems more appropriate since it's the event that resulted what came after. In other words, the cost by itself couldn't have resulted the second event.

I chose D as the correct answer not because the "resulting ~ phase" violated any rules, but because I thought its usage was not particularly stellar.
The sentence wants to express "an action". That is, it wants to say the welfare program now COSTS such and such: it want to express a full action.
However, in C and D, it is used as a modifier, nested in another modifier. For concision, it would have been much better if choice D had been condensed to form something like C and D.

Originally posted by jjsverbal on 17 Mar 2016, 21:08.
Last edited by jjsverbal on 04 Apr 2016, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
the only reason i picked D over c is because of the awkward phrasing in C.
Resulting in the welfare program now costing vs . welfare program now costs.
Experts your thoughts please.
chetan2u ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
goforgmat wrote:
chetan2u ?

my question in C is "usage of NOW before costing" ?? is it correctly used ??
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nick90 wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
chetan2u ?

my question in C is "usage of NOW before costing" ?? is it correctly used ??

I do not see any problem with the placement of "now". The problem with C is that a present participle "costing" is compared with a verb "did".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Sudhanshuacharya wrote:
IMO the answer should be D.
In the sentence there is a comma after the sentence "... dropping since 1973," hence "resulting" should not be used. "Resulting" could have been used if there were no comma.

Hence D suits more logically to the sentence fulfilling "... dropping since 1973, and as a result..."

Hi,
As you have mentioned Verb+ing modifier without comma modifies nearest noun and with comma modifies the clause.
So in case of C,is it not required to modify the clause rather than the noun relative cost?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
SHALLIKA wrote:
Sudhanshuacharya wrote:
IMO the answer should be D.
In the sentence there is a comma after the sentence "... dropping since 1973," hence "resulting" should not be used. "Resulting" could have been used if there were no comma.

Hence D suits more logically to the sentence fulfilling "... dropping since 1973, and as a result..."

Hi,
As you have mentioned Verb+ing modifier without comma modifies nearest noun and with comma modifies the clause.
So in case of C,is it not required to modify the clause rather than the noun relative cost?
Please correct me if I'm wrong

You are right. The present participle "resulting" modifies the entire previous clause. However option C is wrong because of some other reason:

Parallelism is not maintained between " program now costing" and "it did".

You may find some more details on verb-ing modifiers here:
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611-60.html#p1712612
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Expert Reply
The comparison is : how much the welfare program cost now to how much it did in 1973

we need it did, which is only on Answer choices C and D.

Hence A, B and E : wrong comparison, hence wrong.

Between C and D,

In C we got Costing , - the continuous form is incorrect.
we need simple present tense : costs - Hence the correct answer choice is D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
A quick doubt,

The current option (C) is - "resulting in the welfare program now costing about 3 billion real dollars less to implement than it did"

If the option was modified to - "resulting in the welfare program now to cost about 3 billion real dollars less to implement than it did", will this option be correct?

If not, then why ?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Expert Reply
No, option C, would still be wrong.
Because resulting.... would incorrectly modify the noun 1973 - giving rise to modifier error.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
KalyanChamarthi wrote:
No, option C, would still be wrong.
Because resulting.... would incorrectly modify the noun 1973 - giving rise to modifier error.

But resulting is present after a "," so wont it be modifying the full modifying clause that is - "the relative cost of welfare benefits has been dropping since 1973" , the action of the relative cost dropping.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts