GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

With an exp. of 10 years, should I go for 2 yr. MBA program?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
With an exp. of 10 years, should I go for 2 yr. MBA program?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 04:18
Hi,

I am a 33 yr old Engineer, working for one of the major Engineering Firm in India, which is amongst the top public sector of country. I have over ten years of experience in Contracts Management & Procurement.

I have been getting regular promotions in the last ten years (3 promotions in last ten yrs.) However, now I am looking for a career change, as I feel that I have learnt most of the things that I could learn here added with probable stagnation in my career in coming years.

I wish to switch my career in some other domain and hence I want to go for full time MBA. I am just too confused whether one yr. MBA will be of any help in switching the career? Further, I have doubts, will colleges be interested in taking me for two years programs as the average age of the class in most of the colleges is around 27 years with 5-6 yr. of work experience?

Please guide!!!!

Thanks and Regards,
Manu
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.24
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: With an exp. of 10 years, should I go for 2 yr. MBA program?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 04:58
manujichaubey wrote:
Hi,

I am a 33 yr old Engineer, working for one of the major Engineering Firm in India, which is amongst the top public sector of country. I have over ten years of experience in Contracts Management & Procurement.

I have been getting regular promotions in the last ten years (3 promotions in last ten yrs.) However, now I am looking for a career change, as I feel that I have learnt most of the things that I could learn here added with probable stagnation in my career in coming years.

I wish to switch my career in some other domain and hence I want to go for full time MBA. I am just too confused whether one yr. MBA will be of any help in switching the career? Further, I have doubts, will colleges be interested in taking me for two years programs as the average age of the class in most of the colleges is around 27 years with 5-6 yr. of work experience?

Please guide!!!!

Thanks and Regards,
Manu

Hi manujichaubey,

There are actually several answers to your question, depending on which colleges you're targeting. If you want to do an MBA from India, then the best option would be going for the 1 year executive MBA that IIMs, XLRI, SP Jain and ISB offers. That would be the best option or someone with your level of experience. The 2 year MBA degrees in India will not be able to justify your experience and you will struggle with the placements there.

However, if you looking at going for an MBA abroad, then 1 year and 2 year MBA degrees are equally good. The 2 year courses are in US and the 1 year courses are in Europe and Australia. For abroad, your decision would be based on which industry you want to switch to after your MBA. For example, if you want to switch to the finance industry, then the best options are NYU Stern or Wharton or Kelloggs. So you should do more research on which colleges are best for helping you switch to the industry of your choice.

Hope this helped clear your doubts to some extent!

P.S - Have you written your GMAT yet?

Consider giving KUDOS if you found the post helpful. :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 07:41
Hi!!

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I took GMAT 7 years back and scored a dismal 650. I was not very enthusiastic about leaving my job and going for a second tier college. Now, however, once again, I want to give it a shot. Started with GMAT Prep 1 V28, Q47 total 620.

Although, I am not very keen to do MBA from India but since I belong to the most over represented "Indian Male Engineer", I would have to decide about this aspect (i.e. India or abroad) after taking the GMAT.

I just wanted to explore about the chances of my changing the profile I have been working so far.
Director
Director
S
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2014, 05:29
manujichaubey wrote:
Hi,

Please guide!!!!

Thanks and Regards,
Manu

Hi Manu,

Your profile seems to be good. However 10 years of work experience might become a challenge at most of the US B-Schools. Switch your career only if required. You can either stay in the same industry and find a different role. This will help you learn the industry in and out. You can try for the European schools and also AGSM. You can have detailed look at the schools here: http://goo.gl/RZg44t

All the best!!

General Education
m:+91-90350 50056, +91 9620555680
w: http://www.genedmba.com e: info@genedmba.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 09:55
Did you do MBA then?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: With an exp. of 10 years, should I go for 2 yr. MBA program? &nbs [#permalink] 14 Mar 2018, 09:55

With an exp. of 10 years, should I go for 2 yr. MBA program?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap