Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 07:43 It is currently 11 May 2024, 07:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [5]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
Re: With obesity becoming an epidemic in the country, [#permalink]
Huma2703 wrote:
Hey! Could anyone please explain why E is the correct ans?

Posted from my mobile device

Huma2703

Just wanted to know how did you approach this question. What answer choice did you select as a assumption for this argument

Thanks
Probus
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
This is an assumption question so it HAS TO BE correct.D is incorrect because...

they do not eat healthy meals at home.They can very well eat healthy meals outside home.Nothing is telling us that they eat JUNK MEALS AT SCHOOL(which is precisely what E tells us).

This is a good question..

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4699 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Probus wrote:
With obesity becoming an epidemic in the country, it is up to our schools to inculcate healthy eating habits in the children from a very young age. A significant step in this direction will be changing the set-lunch menu available to students in schools. The lunch options should be devoid of junk food items such as burgers, French fries etc. Having healthier alternatives such as fresh fruits, salads, boiled potatoes etc. in schools will likely ensure that most of the students have healthy meals at schools.

Which of the following is required for the above argument to hold?

(A) The new, healthier eating options will be priced comparably to the items currently available for lunch in schools.

(B)The parents of the students will appreciate and support the proposed changes in the lunch menu at schools

(C)The number of people currently considered obese in the country could be negatively impacted by the proposed changes in the lunch menu at the schools.

(D)Currently, more than 50% of the students do not eat healthy meals at homes.

(E)Less than 50% of the students eat packed lunches they bring from their homes.

(A) Pricing cannot be an issue, maybe it is possible that the Lunch is provided free of cost by the School / Lunch is already included in the school fees.
(B) PArents support/appreciation is irrelevant to the discussion.
(C) Irrelevant to the context of the discussion.
(D) We are talking about having healthy food at School and as such eating unhealthy food at home is out of scope of our discussion.

(E) Packed lunch may contain unhealthy food, as such attacking this may yield the desired result of haiving healthy lunch at school , Answer must be (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Abhishek009 wrote:
Probus wrote:
With obesity becoming an epidemic in the country, it is up to our schools to inculcate healthy eating habits in the children from a very young age. A significant step in this direction will be changing the set-lunch menu available to students in schools. The lunch options should be devoid of junk food items such as burgers, French fries etc. Having healthier alternatives such as fresh fruits, salads, boiled potatoes etc. in schools will likely ensure that most of the students have healthy meals at schools.

(A) The new, healthier eating options will be priced comparably to the items currently available for lunch in schools.

(B)The parents of the students will appreciate and support the proposed changes in the lunch menu at schools

(C)The number of people currently considered obese in the country could be negatively impacted by the proposed changes in the lunch menu at the schools.

(E)Less than 50% of the students eat packed lunches they bring from their homes.

(A) Pricing cannot be an issue, maybe it is possible that the Lunch is provided free of cost by the School / Lunch is already included in the school fees.
(B) PArents support/appreciation is irrelevant to the discussion.
(C) Irrelevant to the context of the discussion.
(D) We are talking about having healthy food at School and as such eating unhealthy food at home is out of scope of our discussion.

(E) Packed lunch may contain unhealthy food, as such attacking this may yield the desired result of haiving healthy lunch at school , Answer must be (E)

thank you! your approach towards POE is so clear. Could you please guide me how did you prepare for GMAT verbal?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
we need to make sure that when we have the healthy diet , kids will eat the food.

this answer ensures that most kids will eat the new healthy food at school
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I think the answer is B.
B option provides that the parents of the students will appreciate and support the proposed changes in the lunch menu at schools.

The Conclusion as per me is in the first line where it is mentioned that it is upto the schools to inclucate good healthy eating habits in students from young age. I think that the later part is a premise since it provides description about how conclusion can be achieved.
With this being the conclusion, if I follow the Negation process.....

Then option B negated is that parents won't support school's actions. So this would mean that it is not upto schools to inclucate good habits but also upon the parents and whether or not they'll support school's actions. This would directly hit the conclusion.

I think E rather weakens the conclusion as it, prima facie, mentions that school's actions will work only on half of students.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Schools: IIM (WL)
GPA: 3
Send PM
Probus wrote:

B should be the correct answer here and not E
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Schools: IIM (WL)
GPA: 3
Send PM
]With obesity becoming an epidemic in the country, it is up to our schools to inculcate healthy eating habits in the children from a very young age. A significant step in this direction will be changing the set-lunch menu available to students in schools. The lunch options should be devoid of junk food items such as burgers, French fries etc. Having healthier alternatives such as fresh fruits, salads, boiled potatoes etc. in schools will likely ensure that most of the students have healthy meals at schools.

B seems to be a spot on answer how come its E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Scenario: Obesity is high. Schools need to start educating kids to choose healthy,
Conclusions= starting with their lunch options ensures MOST students have healthy lunch.

Assumption based question. Answer helps the conclusion.

There is nothing mentioned about price. Not applicable.

Parents opinion is not considered nor mentioned in the argument. Not relevant.

No information given on this. Not applicable. In fact, if true, this weakens the argument.

Not relevant. Argument is about lunch consumed in schools, not at home.

Correct.
A maximum of 49.9% students bring food from home (could be healthy or could be unhealthy, what they bring from home is irrelevant). Either case, with a healthy school lunch, at the least 50.1% of students will have access to healthy lunch options, and the conclusion that MOST students (in this case, majority) will eat healthy lunch food becomes true.

This was my reasoning to the answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts