It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Work Exp. Vs. GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: INSEAD
Work Exp. Vs. GMAT score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2006, 23:27
Hey all,

I am newbie here (just signed on), and this my first post. I'm sure this may have been discussed elsewhere, but I could not find that post (did a search on "work experience").
Ok, so here goes, I am interested in applying to MBA schools, but also know that right now I am very weak in the work experience department. I plan on taking the GMAT in early November and hoping to get a decent enough score (shooting for 700 of course), and applying to Haas and UVA (my undergrad Alma Mater), and another school (probably Duke).
I have only one full year of full-time work experience as a financial analyst at a company that has since been bought out/merged with another company (ie. it no longer exists), and after that I have spent a little over a yr in Taiwan learning Chinese and tutoring English (to business professionals).
I have kept in contact w/ some managers at my previous work, so rec. letters shouldn't be a problem. The thing is, I'm not sure how my chances are of getting into grad school, even w/ a good GMAT score.
Can I use my experience overseas as something on my applications?
Also, I'm currently 24 (still very young), so that might work against me as well.
Another thing is, talking to the students here in Taiwan, it seems that many of them apply to grad schools (in the States) right after (or shortly after) college, without work experiences. Many of them have high GMAT scores (700-750s) and some seem to be able to get into top business schools w/o any problems. Is this something unique to Asia? (I've heard China's the same way).

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2006, 09:22
From one Taiwanese UVA grad to another I think your chances at Darden will be tough. You realize that Darden teaches primarily using the case method and not by lectures. Without years of work experience the adcom will see you as unlikely to contribute toward this type of learning environment.

Intern
Intern

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2006, 09:31
Yea, I'm familiar with Darden's teaching methods. The Comm school used some case studies too (although I did not graduate there, did Econ w/ Finance concentration).

Another rumor I've heard from my Taiwanese friend is that UCLA apparently is (of the top 20) one of the more lax schools when it comes to lacking work experience. Does anybody know anything about this?

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2006, 10:09
I know ots of Taiwanese students who go to grad school straight out of college, but their degrees will be in MS in finance or accounting, not an MBA. Seriously you need a few good years of solid work experience under your belt to get into a top b-school. Also the "high" GMAT scores you mention (700-750) are really not that high, when you factor in that the test takers were students. It is a lot more impressive for someone working a 10 hour a day job, with wife and kids to score a 700 than for a student to score a 750. I think most adcoms would see it the same way. Of course, if you have an GPA of 3.9+, a GMAT score of 780+, and a boat load of leadship activities, then who knows......

Intern
Intern

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2006, 00:52
Hmm...ok
I was thinking about this as well. So then your recommendation would be to get another couple yrs of work experience and then apply for Business School? I know I will take my GMAT now, since I am in the mindset of studying and taking the test, and the scores will be good for a few yrs.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2192 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2006, 06:11
Work experience is absolutely critical to your app. I would however suggest that you can spin your experiences to some extent. You worked in the industry for a year and then did volunteer type work in China for a year. Tough decision.

Kudos [?]: 2192 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2006, 22:22
If I go back to the work force for say 2-3 years before applying, would you advise that I retake the GMATs?
I know that the score is good for 5 yrs, but I hear the older the score the more differently the schools weigh it. However, I feel that at this point (in my life) is when I can really concentrate on doing well on the GMAT since I am a part-time student (so I am in the studying mentality) and also only work part-time which gives me more time to study.
And also looking at different posts from other young applicants, it seems like most of the ones applying for top schools have at least 3 yrs work experience (which is the recommended minimum for top school, it would seem), so I am seriously thinking just putting off business schools for another couple yrs.
And, my GPA from undergrad wasn't very spectacular either, so I probably won't stand out in that respect.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: Work Exp. Vs. GMAT score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 00:39
Some schools (I can think of Stanford) now have move to the no work experience required model if you are a very qualified candidate.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Schools: University of Michigan Erb Institute '12

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 08:13
Holy dead thread, Batman!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 08:22
bleh

Last edited by atlmba2009 on 27 May 2009, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 08:31
I wonder what happened with orientexpress, it's been over 2 years!

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1], given: 0

Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
why is this thread even active? liubhs02, how did u find this thread?

Traffic never sleeps...

Kudos [?]: 30 [1], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 09:36
terp26 wrote:
I wonder what happened with orientexpress, it's been over 2 years!

Users w/ 8 posts don't usually come back after 2 years. Threads like this shouldn't be brought back to life.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 19:37
I'm hoping my 12 years of work will offset the 610 GMAT, but I'll let you know how that goes. I have a 3.5 gpa but who knows how much they weight that. I suspect the GMAT is the make or break which seems unfair for someone who has been incredbily succesful in their chosen career and are career changers.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 20:30
Quote:
I'm hoping my 12 years of work will offset the 610 GMAT, but I'll let you know how that goes. I have a 3.5 gpa but who knows how much they weight that. I suspect the GMAT is the make or break which seems unfair for someone who has been incredbily succesful in their chosen career and are career changers.

I think the 12 years of WE actually hurt you for the top schools. I know it's kinda unfair, but the top schools are gearing for younger candidates.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 20:36
nadtrans wrote:
why is this thread even active? liubhs02, how did u find this thread?

lolz =D , I was bored and trying not to think about essays, so I looked through the oldest thread and see which one I can bring back. sorry if I cluttered things up.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 21:02
Seriously, please refrain from bringing threads this outdated back unless they are actually useful. Maybe two years ago this is the type of info was hard to find but now its all over this board. This just confuses people, it is not helping anyone since the guy who asked the question is long gone and by honestly, yes it does clutter the front page.

If you have a question ask it...dont dig things up from ancient history.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Re: Work Exp. Vs. GMAT score   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2008, 21:02

Work Exp. Vs. GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap