GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 12:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Work experience and MBA vs MsC [Help me to make a choice]

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: EDHEC (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Premium Member
Work experience and MBA vs MsC [Help me to make a choice]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 14:25
Hello everyone,
I would kindly ask you an opinion about my story.
I am an Italian guy 25 years old.
Before enrolling in my university to get a bachelor degree in Economics I had the opportunity to join a medium size company of my city for an internship.
I was noticed by my supervisor and I had the opportunity to continue my work there as Receptionist while continuing my studies; then as the company is not so big (almost 200 employees) I was noticed by the CEO that gave me the opportunity to follow him during meetings as his assistant.
After that experience (of over 1 year) I was promoted Junior HR Manager, that is still my role after 3 years.
During these years I was also involved in commodity trading (not on the stock market) as secondary job, I co-founded a startup (that 1.5 years later I left with a compensation after suing my partner of funds misappropriation) and I self learnt how to invest my savings in the stock market.
The problem is that I feel that all these experiences are limited to my area, and as I always spoke Italian I have a limited knowledge of the business English terms.
As I am going to pass the 25 I decided to give an upgrade to my life and I was looking for a Msc in Management in order to move abroad, in a country (for example Switzerland or England) were salaries and life are better (actually I live in Padua, a medium size city near Venice) and where I could gain more experience in a different sector.
My ambition is also to change sector and work, for example in IB or in big companies as product manager.
To pursue my goals I had a meeting with an admission consultant of a leading european bs that tried to convince me that I am more suitable for a MBA than for a Msc, as I would be more in-line with the median age (even if in the lower side) and I have enough experience to apply.
This scares me a lot because it's a huge investment (that luckly I could made, even with a small student loan) and I've never been in a foreign study environment.
I also feel that my experience as employee is limited to a particular area (HR Management of my company), and I would like to know how much a MBA at my age could contribute to change sector and role.
I am also worried that I won't be able to contribute to the class initially even if I have a lot to tell about my experience as entrepreneur, but maybe it's because I don't know what to expect from a MBA class, and that's way I posted this entry.
Do you think that enrolling in a MBA program would be a good indea with my background, or should I apply to a MsC?
I know that to many people of this forum this question may seem crazy, but I really don't know what to expect, the investment is huge, and I hope that you could help me with your opinions.

Many thanks in advance and sorry for this long entry :)
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Work experience and MBA vs MsC [Help me to make a choice]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 22:56
Since you already have 3 yrs of professional experience MBA will suit you more than MiM which is more for recent graduates with no experience. MiM students typically have an average age of 23 yrs and on graduation join an entry level job. You need to figure our whether you are okay with that.

Quote:
I also feel that my experience as employee is limited to a particular area (HR Management of my company), and I would like to know how much a MBA at my age could contribute to change sector and role.

MBA can help you do that. Also don't worry about the contribution part, you have enough and varied experience to contribute to discussion. Once you are in the class you will realise that you have things to say.

----------------
No Longer in business

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 05:51
ApplyMBAapp wrote:
Since you already have 3 yrs of professional experience MBA will suit you more than MiM which is more for recent graduates with no experience. MiM students typically have an average age of 23 yrs and on graduation join an entry level job. You need to figure our whether you are okay with that.

Quote:

MBA can help you do that. Also don't worry about the contribution part, you have enough and varied experience to contribute to discussion. Once you are in the class you will realise that you have things to say.

Thank you very much! I want to take the most out from this experience and I want to be sure to make the right choice at the right time!
Any other feedback will be widely appreciated :-D
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 21:22
An MBA will best help you reach your career goals here, you may want to take a bit more time to figure out what you want to do first. IB and product work are quite different so you should clear that up first. Also, don't feel like you need to rush into an MBA it sounds like you could probably stand some more work experience to improve this aspect of your profile

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 05:10
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
An MBA will best help you reach your career goals here, you may want to take a bit more time to figure out what you want to do first. IB and product work are quite different so you should clear that up first. Also, don't feel like you need to rush into an MBA it sounds like you could probably stand some more work experience to improve this aspect of your profile

Thank you for your opinion!
The problem is that in my company I reached a very good level for my age and it's nearly impossible to ask to be switched to another role just to make more experience.
Moreover in my area it would be impossible to find a similar responsability role with a different mansion.
In fact decided to pursue the MBA to open more doors abroad with an higher salary, the only doubt that I have concerns the contribution that I could give to the class and if with an MBA I could switch role and industry starting from a non entry-level position.
What do you think about that?
Re: Work experience and MBA vs MsC [Help me to make a choice] &nbs [#permalink] 02 Mar 2017, 05:10

Work experience and MBA vs MsC [Help me to make a choice]

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap