Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: HBS '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: Worried about background check [#permalink]
Bookmarks
iwantanmba wrote:
Hi guys

I got in to an ultra-elite school (yay!) and they are doing a background check. They are using Re Vera Services and the fee is $75.

I am a bit worried because of some discrepancies. I had a few jobs, and I put down the ending date for the first job 1 month longer than that from actual HR record, and the starting date for the last job 1 month earlier than the actual start date. Both of these are off by 1-2 weeks but they were end-of-this-month, start-of-next month cases so they end up being 1 month differences. The reason is, when I filled in the application, I just used my memory and didn't carefully check with HR for every detail. Everything else (job, title, salary...) is correct.

Should I worry about it, should I inform the school and Re Vera up front, or just let them do their job and clarify when asked?

Many thanks

YOu can go either way here. If you want to tell the company up front, do it, but you can let them find it out as well, I don't think you should worry.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Kudos
iwantanmba wrote:
Hi guys

I got in to an ultra-elite school (yay!) and they are doing a background check. They are using Re Vera Services and the fee is $75.

I am a bit worried because of some discrepancies. I had a few jobs, and I put down the ending date for the first job 1 month longer than that from actual HR record, and the starting date for the last job 1 month earlier than the actual start date. Both of these are off by 1-2 weeks but they were end-of-this-month, start-of-next month cases so they end up being 1 month differences. The reason is, when I filled in the application, I just used my memory and didn't carefully check with HR for every detail. Everything else (job, title, salary...) is correct.

Should I worry about it, should I inform the school and Re Vera up front, or just let them do their job and clarify when asked?

Many thanks

==
I am in the same shoes: also in a dream school and with Re Vera after me :)

I worked in several countries at various positions, with managers and currencies changing back and front. Also, I know there are +/- two week discrepancies between HR system inputs and actual employment dates. My take is that the background check is after evident bluff: non-existing recommendors, positions that never existed etc.

Honestly speaking, I don't care about the process. I know my data is true, but if the school decide to make a case that my CV employment date differs from HR systems by amazing 5 days, then I'll probably won't be happy in that school anyhow.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I would not worry about it at all! Background checks do not and can not go into such detail for every applicant, they just do a highlevel check to make sure your work experience is legitimate, your past education is legitimate and most probably a credit and criminal record check for good measure. Beyond that I dont see how a more indepth background check would be feasible for the 1000's of newly admitted students.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
iwantanmba wrote:
Hi guys

Many thanks

Re Vera did my background check (I’m a R1 admit), and someone from that company emailed me asking about two minor discrepancies (job title not matching what’s on my app and a slight discrepancy in salary / bonus figures). I clearly explained both issues to the Re Vera person and submitted supporting documentation to clarify. They seemed 100% fine with that. From my experience, they will definitely nit pick into your employment history and verify everything (start/end dates, compensation info, job title), but if they find anything that needs clarification, they will absolutely give you the benefit of the doubt and allow you to explain. I really wouldn’t worry about it too much if I were you. Re Vera and the ad coms both know that stuff like this happens and like bb said, they are really just looking for major things indicating that you clearly lied or embellished facts on an application to try to improve your chances of admission. I REALLY don’t think they will revoke admission or fellowships unless they have proof beyond a reasonable doubt that you either purposefully misled the adcom, or you were grossly negligent in unintentionally providing them materially false information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
It is already July 15th and I haven't heard back about the background check. They contacted my references already, and I guess they are waiting to hear back from my uni and work place. Does it typically take this long? School starts next month!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
worriedadmit wrote:
It is already July 15th and I haven't heard back about the background check. They contacted my references already, and I guess they are waiting to hear back from my uni and work place. Does it typically take this long? School starts next month!

Sometimes these companies do not get back to you when you're finished with the check. Contact the admissions office. I would think that by now that the company or the school would let you know something is wrong if there is.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Are the background checks random or everyone does them?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
DrStrangelove wrote:

The schools that do them (pretty much all of the top schools) will do them for everyone who is admitted and pays the deposit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
kasonhills wrote:
DrStrangelove wrote:

The schools that do them (pretty much all of the top schools) will do them for everyone who is admitted and pays the deposit.

My friend who went through the process with ReVera last year said that they went about the process with out contacting him before. They called him to ask for a phone number they were missing and thats the only call they made. So, they don't actually check all criteria, but randomly pick something.
I hope that someone who went throgh the process will verify this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
DrStrangelove wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
DrStrangelove wrote:

My friend who went through the process with ReVera last year said that they went about the process with out contacting him before. They called him to ask for a phone number they were missing and thats the only call they made. So, they don't actually check all criteria, but randomly pick something.
I hope that someone who went throgh the process will verify this.

That's not how it works, they don't contact you before they check individual items, why should they? You already gave them all of the relevant information on your application. They will only contact you if they need additional information or find a discrepancy.

Now, what they check depends on what the school pays for. I think most schools will at least contact recommenders, and confirm transcripts and work experience. But ReVera also has options to check extracurricular activities and awards, and I'm sure some schools do have them checked as well. I don't think anyone knows exactly how much any individual school will check.

Some schools let you know once the background check is complete, with others if you don't hear anything that means there were no problems.

You seem a bit... worried? Tell us what your situation is and we might be able to give you better insight.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM