It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would a 3rd attempt at GMAT make sense for me?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Would a 3rd attempt at GMAT make sense for me? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 12:34
Hi all--

I've submitted R1 apps with a 710 (1st attempt was 700 with a weaker quant). I have a non-traditional background (education and social enterprise in developing world), high gpa, solid essay and solid recs-- I want to leverage a top MBA to continue working in social impact; right now that's a very broad interest, but I'm thinking specifically of places like Bellweather and Dalberg, and then eventually transitioning into entrepeneurship.

I've started to seriously consider Sloan because it aligns well to my interests and goals.

The round 2 app is due in Jan, so I'll be working very carefully on my essays. I'm wondering if it makes sense to study and take the GMAT again in hopes of getting a 730 or higher (I believe Sloan's avg was 724).

If I could pull off a 730, would it actually help given I've taken this exam twice before?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Experts' Global Representative
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Would a 3rd attempt at GMAT make sense for me? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 04:28
urbanac wrote:
Hi all--

I've submitted R1 apps with a 710 (1st attempt was 700 with a weaker quant). I have a non-traditional background (education and social enterprise in developing world), high gpa, solid essay and solid recs-- I want to leverage a top MBA to continue working in social impact; right now that's a very broad interest, but I'm thinking specifically of places like Bellweather and Dalberg, and then eventually transitioning into entrepeneurship.

I've started to seriously consider Sloan because it aligns well to my interests and goals.

The round 2 app is due in Jan, so I'll be working very carefully on my essays. I'm wondering if it makes sense to study and take the GMAT again in hopes of getting a 730 or higher (I believe Sloan's avg was 724).

If I could pull off a 730, would it actually help given I've taken this exam twice before?

Hi urbanac,

Thanks for your query.

Yes, you must consider a third attempt. A higher GMAT score will certainly have a positive impact on your chances of gaining an admit!

All the best! :)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 08:46
urbanac wrote:
Hi all--

Hi there,

I agree that a 730+ would help your chances, particularly at programs like Sloan. If you really feel like you left points on the table (i.e., that you're capable of hitting or breaking 730), then that lends itself toward retaking the exam. But if in your heart of hearts you think the 710 was the best you have, then it might not be worth the time. Time toward the GMAT in the next two months means time away from school research / engagement and R2 applications. You wouldn't want to undermine your R2 apps because of a GMAT retake that deep down you felt would probably land you with the same score you already have. So you'll have to weigh those factors. If you feel like you're probably a "710 candidate," then consider what other schools would be more aligned, and accept Sloan (et al) as your reaches. Where else did you apply in R1 / are you considering applying in R2?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 17:43
Hi urbanac,

I'm an alum of a top 5 global MBA and received interviews and offers at other top 5 global MBA programs. Your GMAT score is INCREDIBLE. 710! Wow! That is fantastic. What I can tell you that matters the MOST is your story. How YOU tell your story that makes you SHINE and STAND OUT matters much more than the GMAT score. Instead of spending the time to bring your score up to 720, or 730, my recommendation is to use that time to know yourself better, craft out your personal story that can sell you effectively throughout your essays and having that KILLER resume that speaks volumes within the first few seconds of glance.

Regards,
Portia

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 13:05
Sloan is a top ranked and very competitive program with an avg GMAT around 730. My initial hunch is for you to retake and bump that score up to a more competitive level. One thing to consider is how you feel about your story and your overall ability to deliver a breakthrough application, if you feel confident you can pull this off and confident you may have left some points on the table then consider a retake.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: Would a 3rd attempt at GMAT make sense for me?   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2017, 13:05

Would a 3rd attempt at GMAT make sense for me?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap