Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:40 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 545
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 570 Q31 V38
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72904 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 545
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 570 Q31 V38
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72904 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Writers Block on Statement of Purpose [#permalink]
Expert Reply
That’s great. You can also run your SOP through it. I assume it is safe. I don’t think it would show up anywhere…. You can ask it to critique it and make recommendations how to improve it

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
ocelot22 wrote:
I am writing my first statement of purpose. I am applying to Finance PhD programs. I recently scored 720 GMAT (q49, v40) and have nearly the equivalent of a bachelors degree in math, in addition to my MBA. I am currently trying to write my first statement of purpose, for the University of Kansas. I have a bit of writers block. I understand that I need to relate the research interests of the department in my SOP (Kansas seems to do a lot of research on mutual funds), I am stuck in terms of how to get this down into an aesthetic. I also understand I need to in some way incorporate how I know this will be tough and I am ready (overqualified) etc. In any case, if anyone has successfully gained admission to a Finance (or accounting) PhD program, I would greatly appreciate any help. Please send me a PM if that is the case.

ocelot22

I have not helped anyone apply for a PhD , but I have worked on applications for masters programs in finance and economics in the UK that also require demonstrating high level of academic appreciation of the subject. In my experience, nothing beats originality in SOPs. Your SOP may not be the best written piece ever, but as long as it comes straight from your heart and shows your passion for further exploring a métier, it will get you due attention and consideration from the evaluators.

You are absolutely right when you say that you need to connect the field's research interests to your background, education, work experience, and motivations. However, if you feel like you are having a hard time putting this into words, it could be because you are not sure you understand the school's research work. In this case, it is best to get in touch with the professors and really take the time to understand how you can benefit from participating in the program and the apprenticeship. The more insight you gain from your conversations with the program staff, professors and students, the better your SOP will be. You may also find extensive introductory material on the college's program website that will give your ideas on how to make the connection to your profile.

You can use AI tools to define a broader structure, but the strength of the write up really depends on how clearly you see the value of this course to your career and interests.

Best wishes

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4387 posts