Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:03 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Booth '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1530 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8556 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Written in the early eleventh century by Lady Murasaki Shikibu as a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi guys, D is correct.

You may think idiom "consider.... to be" is wrong, but it's not. It's RARELY used in real GMAT, in real GMAT, we're better off to stick with "consider X Y". (You can refer to Manhattan SC Gmat, idiom "consider X to be Y" is a suspect case, not wrong.)

However, in the passive voice sentence, idiom "X is considered by Y to be Z" is acceptable.

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Written in the early eleventh century by Lady Murasaki Shikibu as a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
(A) Shikibu as a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji to be –A very obvious modification error. ; After the comma (court), the Tale of Genji, should come

(B) Shikibu in the manner of a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji as --- same as in A

(C) Shikibu, a fictionalized accounting for political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji--------Same as in A and B

(D) Shikibu as a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, The Tale of Genji is considered by literary historians to be --- In spite of the - to be – controversy, the best, I believe.

(E) Shikibu, The Tale of Genji is a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court which literary historians consider to be --- What does which( leave alone the absence of comma before –which- ) modify: the Court. A horrible modification that compares the court to a novel

It is natural to get upset when we are forced to use consider to be in the place of just consider; But if the choices have unpardonable grammar errors, you might pass the idiomatic dilemma and cling on to a choice that does not have such a flagrant blunder. That way, IMO, D is passable as the best among the not so palatable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
(A) Shikibu as a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji to be –A very obvious modification error. ; After the comma (court), the Tale of Genji, should come

(B) Shikibu in the manner of a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji as --- same as in A

(C) Shikibu, a fictionalized accounting for political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji--------Same as in A and B

(D) Shikibu as a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, The Tale of Genji is considered by literary historians to be --- In spite of the - to be – controversy, the best, I believe.

(E) Shikibu, The Tale of Genji is a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court which literary historians consider to be --- What does which( leave alone the absence of comma before –which- ) modify: the Court. A horrible modification that compares the court to a novel

It is natural to get upset when we are forced to use consider to be in the place of just consider; But if the choices have unpardonable grammar errors, you might pass the idiomatic dilemma and cling on to a choice that does not have such a flagrant blunder. That way, IMO, D is passable as the best among the not so palatable.

Do we then have order of priority for errors like we have it in quant for mathematical operators?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
May be priority is not so explicitly stated, but, it is a natural process. For example, a pronoun ambiguity is sometimes ignored by the GMAT; similarly, punctuation is not a great concern form GMAT. But still they are mistakes. CAn we cling on to them? In the given case, if we do not pardon the idiom aspect, the problem isn’t worth testing. That is why I said taht since it is not a GMAT question, let's at least practise other errors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Kudos
anilisanil wrote:
Do we then have order of priority for errors like we have it in quant for mathematical operators?

Normally GMAC prefers the following:
Correctness > Clarity > Concision

First priority is filter out grammatical mistakes.
Second priority is to check for ambiguity and redundancy.
Third to check for short and sweet option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
forzajuventus wrote:
Written in the early eleventh century by Lady Murasaki Shikibu as a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji to be the world's first novel.

(A) Shikibu as a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji to be
(B) Shikibu in the manner of a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji as
(C) Shikibu, a fictionalized accounting for political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, literary historians consider The Tale of Genji
(D) Shikibu as a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court, The Tale of Genji is considered by literary historians to be
(E) Shikibu, The Tale of Genji is a fictionalized account of political and romantic intrigue in the Japanese imperial court which literary historians consider to be

IMO -- there's no right answer in any of these choices. Terrible question.

AS noted by everyone, none of the option is "right" but D is the "best" of the lot. I guess daagh provided the best and to the point explanation.

However, if the question is actually taken from Kaplan, it must have been a very old version. The reason GMAC comes out with a new version of OG is that it deprecates some kinds of questions with time. "consider to be" is deprecated and will never appear on GMAT now. In fact, if you consider OG13, there are hardly any idiom questions. This is designed so that GMAT favors non-natives as well. Idioms come naturally to native speakers but not non-natives.

So I won't stress too much about "consider X to be Y" vs "consider X Y".
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32889 [1]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Kudos
Sometimes there is the tendency on this board to consider a question terrible or not well written because:

- do not understand the question itself

- there is a lack of truly comprehension of the same.

- are followed the thoughts of others without thinking on your own, critically.

As such, I do not see nothing bad with it. Moreover, I see it as a good question maybe 650 level to practise and a bit tricky.

We have a dependet clause (indeed very long) and a indipendent clause to follow.

Not wrong with that, taking it with a grain of salt

regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
carcass wrote:
Sometimes there is the tendency on this board to consider a question terrible or not well written because:

- do not understand the question itself

- there is a lack of truly comprehension of the same.

- are followed the thoughts of others without thinking on your own, critically.

As such, I do not see nothing bad with it. Moreover, I see it as a good question maybe 650 level to practise and a bit tricky.

We have a dependet clause (indeed very long) and a indipendent clause to follow.

Not wrong with that, taking it with a grain of salt

regards

I disagree. Barring the blatant idiomatic error, the other errors in the other answer choices are pretty easy to spot, and I'm sure most people who answered this incorrectly feel the same. The main issue here is the debatable nature of the OA. From what I've seen, idioms in the GMAT world are black and white -- either they are used correctly or incorrectly. While there might be subjectivity in conciseness, diction, or style, there is no subjectivity to idioms in the GMAT world.

In response to your point: "- are followed the thoughts of others without thinking on your own, critically." -- if I had the liberty to critically think on my own on the GMAT, I would create a choice "F" and correct the idiom error. I don't know about you, but if the GMAC tells me that the sky is red, then I sure as hell am going to answer that the sky is red on the GMAT; and in the OG problems I've seen, the GMAC has established that "consider" is NOT followed by "to be".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
It fascinates me, when reading responses to questions like these, how much of an unfair advantage I have by being a native english speaker.

"considered to be" is completely idiomatically correct.

"considered by many to be" is also an extremely common phrase and completely idiomatically correct. It didn't even register as a possible reason for invalidating option D when I read it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM