It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 06:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wrote yesterday ....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

Wrote yesterday .... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2008, 18:13
So I wrote yesterday , and ended up with a 680 (43Q, 40V). Cant say Im elated, but considering how bad I did in math, I guess I cant complain.

I need to decide whether I want to rewrite this thing again or not; Ive been studying for so long and invested so much time. Not sure if I really want to put myself through that again.

I knew I wasnt going to do so well on the math piece when I choked on the very first question. It didn't get much better from there, Im afraid.

Verbal was never really too much of an issue for me; there were a few very tricky SCs. I had three RCs, none of which were too bad. CR was not bad either; a few ones I had to read about three times, but I found that the answer choices were pretty clear. No ambiguity here.

Regarding the score, Im wondering how bad a 43V will look, especially considering that my undergrad degree was in engineering. Aaaargh ... I really dont want to have to write this thing again.

Last edited by pmenon on 02 Oct 2008, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 705 [0], given: 1

Re: I write tomorrow... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2008, 20:27
pmenon wrote:
So wish me luck, guys ! Although I must admit I feel a tad bit unprepared ... chalk it up to exam nerves, I guess !

All the best dude. Nerves are important, hold them !!

Don't lose 2 important things COOL and CONCENTRATION. Remember this is JUST A TEST.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Re: I write tomorrow... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2008, 20:50
pmenon wrote:
So wish me luck, guys ! Although I must admit I feel a tad bit unprepared ... chalk it up to exam nerves, I guess !

Good luck.... Hope to hear a 7**

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Re: Wrote yesterday .... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 14:36
hate to do this to my own post, but back up to the top for some more replies/advice. Cheers.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
pmenon wrote:
So I wrote yesterday , and ended up with a 680 (43Q, 40V). Cant say Im elated, but considering how bad I did in math, I guess I cant complain.

I need to decide whether I want to rewrite this thing again or not; Ive been studying for so long and invested so much time. Not sure if I really want to put myself through that again.

I knew I wasnt going to do so well on the math piece when I choked on the very first question. It didn't get much better from there, Im afraid.

Verbal was never really too much of an issue for me; there were a few very tricky SCs. I had three RCs, none of which were too bad. CR was not bad either; a few ones I had to read about three times, but I found that the answer choices were pretty clear. No ambiguity here.

Regarding the score, Im wondering how bad a 43V will look, especially considering that my undergrad degree was in engineering. Aaaargh ... I really dont want to have to write this thing again.

Definitely 680 is a competitive score. With a good essay, you shouldn't be shy applying to any top 10 schools (imo).
what were your mock CAT scores? How long did you prepare and was V or Q very difefrent from the regular Gmatprep?

Good luck with your essays....

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Kudos [?]: 96 [1], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 2

Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 22:41
i am sorry but you will have to retake this gmat again..depending on which school u are shooting for..u need to pull your score up on Q...there is really nothing much else to say..u need to break the 80% mark.

i know its tough..even i had a 42 on Q..when i never ever scored below 49 on gmatprep..i typically score 50 on gmatprep..so nerves is 99% of the game..just relax and keep your head up..u still have time before r2 deadlines..

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 2

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2008, 15:36
my mock CAT score were in the 680-740 range. The math I got on the actual test was probably not significantly harder, but my performance was probably just due to nerves.

I honestly really dont want to write it again. Ive got other things to worry about and would like to move on. Although I keep getting hung up on my Q score of 43 ... if schools look at the overall score of 680, it may not seem that bad, but if they look at the breakdown, they might start questioning my capabilities....

Thats the only reason why I am still debating rewriting..

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2008, 20:25
pmenon wrote:
my mock CAT score were in the 680-740 range. The math I got on the actual test was probably not significantly harder, but my performance was probably just due to nerves.

I honestly really dont want to write it again. Ive got other things to worry about and would like to move on. Although I keep getting hung up on my Q score of 43 ... if schools look at the overall score of 680, it may not seem that bad, but if they look at the breakdown, they might start questioning my capabilities....

Thats the only reason why I am still debating rewriting..

My 2 cents:
Some schools give importance to the math and verbal percentile (some may even consider AWA scores). Some just look at the overall score. It really depends on the school you intend to apply.

Lets wait to hear what the experts have got to say ...

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2008, 18:07
time is precious...!!! so dont waste more time thinking abt it! or delay your application by another couple of months.
i'd say 680 is pretty decent...! if u dont like the idea of taking the test... just leave it.
and apply to the schools of your choice.! if u dont get into your top choices... only then consider doing it again.
all the best.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 3

Schools: HBS Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2008, 19:41
What percentile is 43Q?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 86

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2008, 21:09
foodstamp wrote:
What percentile is 43Q?

70th Percentile

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 86

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2008, 12:09
been on vacation since i wrote, so i havent been checking here often ... or thinking about the test, for that matter ! :)

Yeah, 43Q put me at the 70th percentile . definitely not great . i still havent decided what im going to do. im only applying for 2010 entry, so i do have time to write again, if i wanted to.

i am aiming for one of the top tier schools, and from what ive seen, i fall within the 80% range for all of them.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: HBS Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2008, 16:46
I'd take the next 30 days to study and then retake. If you scored a 680, you can score 700+. You could have just been unlucky on test day. Since you already have a good score under your belt, there is nothing to lose.

Don't stress over it - 680 is a good score. Plenty of people get into the top 5 schools with high 600s. I don't think it would hurt to retake it again though.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 09:08
yeah, im gonna bump this bad boy up :)

so im still here with my 680. havent re-written ... have definitely been giving it thought though. My quant score really really sucked, and I want to prove to myself that I can do better.

Will schools actually care that my score was so skewed towards verbal ?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 11:19
I'm in the same boat..680 (same breakdown too)..prepping to enroll in 2010...n retaking it again.
However..i was wondering..does it hurt if your next attempt is lower than your original score?
Since schools ask for your last 2 GMAT scores..and they in fact will get up to 3 scores when they receive the official report.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 17:42
i also had another similar question for those who may know. does retaking the test and doing a lot better make a positive impression, or will a poor first score be the end all for most good schools? i guess the question is, how bad does retaking look if you dont do significantly better?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Wrote yesterday ....   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2009, 17:42

Wrote yesterday ....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap