It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42575

Kudos [?]: 135410 [0], given: 12692

Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 21:54
Expert's post
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:04) correct 27% (01:03) wrong based on 143 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant speeds. If Xavier is now 2 miles ahead of Adam, how many minutes before Xavier is 3 miles ahead of Adam?

(1) Xavier is traveling at 70 miles per hour and Adam is traveling at 60 miles per hour.
(2) Xavier left 5 minutes before Adam.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135410 [0], given: 12692

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Mar 2016
Posts: 542

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 98

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 04:32
stat1 : relative velocity = 10 miles per hour...

so in every 6 minutes the distance grows as 1 mile...

hence in 12 mins 2 miles..
18 mins 3 miles

suff


stat 2 : not suff..

ans A

Last edited by mohshu on 12 Apr 2017, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 98

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7791

Kudos [?]: 18108 [2], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 05:19
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:
Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant speeds. If Xavier is now 2 miles ahead of Adam, how many minutes before Xavier is 3 miles ahead of Adam?

(1) Xavier is traveling at 70 miles per hour and Adam is traveling at 60 miles per hour.
(2) Xavier left 5 minutes before Adam.


Relative Distance = Relative Speed * Time

The relative distance to be covered is 1 mile. We need the time it will take to cover this Relative Distance.

(1) Xavier is traveling at 70 miles per hour and Adam is traveling at 60 miles per hour.
Relative Speed = 70 - 60 = 10 mph
We have the relative distance and relative speed so we can find the time taken.
Sufficient.

(2) Xavier left 5 minutes before Adam.
We know that Xavier left 5 mins before but we don't know for how long Adam has been riding. So we do not know in how much time Xavier covered a relative distance of 2 miles.
Say both have the same speed so their relative speed is 0. In that case, Xavier would have covered the 2 extra miles in 5 mins.
Say Xavier covered 1 mile in 5 mins and hence has a speed of 12 mph. If Adam's speed is 2 mph, Xavier would have covered another 1 mile extra in 6 mins.
In either case, their relative speed is different and hence, time taken for Xavier to cover a relative distance of 1 mile will be different.
Not sufficient.

Answer (A)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18108 [2], given: 236

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Aug 2015
Posts: 24

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 06:40
VeritasPrepKarishma

so for every question as mentioned only relative speed is required to solve the problem?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7791

Kudos [?]: 18108 [0], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 20:49
Nitish7 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

so for every question as mentioned only relative speed is required to solve the problem?


I am not sure what you mean by "every question as mentioned". But whenever there are two or more people and the question talks about the "distance between them" etc, relative speed comes in handy.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18108 [0], given: 236

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 258

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 466

Re: Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 10:23
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant speeds. If Xavier is now 2 miles ahead of Adam, how many minutes before Xavier is 3 miles ahead of Adam?

(1) Xavier is traveling at 70 miles per hour and Adam is traveling at 60 miles per hour.
(2) Xavier left 5 minutes before Adam.


Relative Distance = Relative Speed * Time

The relative distance to be covered is 1 mile. We need the time it will take to cover this Relative Distance.

(1) Xavier is traveling at 70 miles per hour and Adam is traveling at 60 miles per hour.
Relative Speed = 70 - 60 = 10 mph
We have the relative distance and relative speed so we can find the time taken.
Sufficient.

(2) Xavier left 5 minutes before Adam.
We know that Xavier left 5 mins before but we don't know for how long Adam has been riding. So we do not know in how much time Xavier covered a relative distance of 2 miles.
Say both have the same speed so their relative speed is 0. In that case, Xavier would have covered the 2 extra miles in 5 mins.
Say Xavier covered 1 mile in 5 mins and hence has a speed of 12 mph. If Adam's speed is 2 mph, Xavier would have covered another 1 mile extra in 6 mins.
In either case, their relative speed is different and hence, time taken for Xavier to cover a relative distance of 1 mile will be different.
Not sufficient.

Answer (A)


Hi Karishma,

I have small question regarding statement2 explanation:
can we assume adam speed to be less than or equal to Xavier's?, because the question asks, how much time before was Adam 3 miles behind Xavier, if that were to happen, Adam speed has to be greater than Xavier's to get closer and closer to Xavier to make the question valid. If Adam speed is less than Xavier's , Xavier will be moving away for every minute. Am i correct?

Please clarify

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 466

Re: Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2017, 10:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Xavier and Adam are riding motorcycles down the highway at constant

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.