Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [26]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618548 [8]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1820 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Re: You are given an unlimited number of circles each of which [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
MOKSH wrote:
You are given an unlimited number of circles each of which having radii either 2 or 4. You must place the circles side-by-side so that they only touch at one point. If exactly two of the smaller circles are used, in how many different ways may the circles be placed next to one another so that the centers of the circles are all on the same straight line and so that the sum of the lengths of the diameters of the circles is 32?

A. four
B. six
C. eight
D. ten
E. twelve

Got me a little confused a bit with this statement: "If exactly two of the smaller circles are used" because I'm not a native speaker but then yeah 2 smaller circles and the rest are bigger circles....

2 smaller circles will have sum of length of diameter = 8

\(32-8 = 24\) remaining diameter for the larger circles of diameter 8, Thus, 3 larger circles.

s s L L L

\(\frac{5!}{3!2!} = 10\)

Answer: ten
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Large circle has a diameter of 8, Small circle has a diameter of 4. Since total length of diameters must be 32 and exactly 2 smaller circles are used ---> There are 3 large circles and 2 small circles (for a total of 5 circles) that need to be arraged.
Therefore.. (5!)/(3!)(2!) = 10 (D)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Arrangement of circles question. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
You are given an unlimited number of circles each of which is identical to one of the two circles shown above. The radii of the larger circles are 4 and the radii of the smaller circles are 2. You must place the circles side-by-side so that they only touch at one point. If exactly two of the smaller circles are used, in how many different ways may the circles be placed next to one another so that the centers of the circles are all on the same straight line and so that the sum of the lengths of the diameters of the circles is 32?

A. four
B. six
C. eight
D. ten
E. Twelve

I just don't get it, can some one please help. I cannot see any one of the given options to be correct.
Will post my reasoning once i receive a method to derive the answer

Please refer to the solutions above.

Also, please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to the rule #3. Thank you.!

Sorry for that Bunnel, i tried searching the question, but somehow did not find it :(
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618548 [0]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Re: Arrangement of circles question. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
You are given an unlimited number of circles each of which is identical to one of the two circles shown above. The radii of the larger circles are 4 and the radii of the smaller circles are 2. You must place the circles side-by-side so that they only touch at one point. If exactly two of the smaller circles are used, in how many different ways may the circles be placed next to one another so that the centers of the circles are all on the same straight line and so that the sum of the lengths of the diameters of the circles is 32?

A. four
B. six
C. eight
D. ten
E. Twelve

I just don't get it, can some one please help. I cannot see any one of the given options to be correct.
Will post my reasoning once i receive a method to derive the answer

Please refer to the solutions above.

Also, please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to the rule #3. Thank you.!

Sorry for that Bunnel, i tried searching the question, but somehow did not find it :(

No worries. Just please name a topic properly when posting: the name of the topic must be the first sentence of the question or a string of words exactly as they show up in the question.

Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Even if you don't know the 'technical math' behind this question, you can still get to the correct answer with a little bit of 'brute force' work.

From the prompt, you can deduce that we'll need 2 small circles and 3 large circles to complete the task. From the answer choices, we know that there can only be 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 ways to arrange those 5 circles, so it shouldn't be that tough to 'map out' the possibilities.

S = small circle
L = large circle

SSLLL
SLSLL
SLLSL
SLLLS

LSSLL
LSLSL
LSLLS

LLSSL
LLSLS

LLLSS

Total = 10 options

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Hi

I am unable to understand why after knowing that 24 units are left, we didn't consider any more smaller circles being placed here. The responses above have all followed - 24/8(big circle diameter) = 3 big and used combination.
It is not mentioned we cannot use more SMALL circles. Hence, shouldn't we consider the combination of 24/4 = 6 SMALL Circles ?

Thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92875 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts