|All Reviews > Menlo Coaching Reviews|
Joined: Jul 16, 2018
760 Q50 V44
My time working with Yaron could not have been more enjoyable! I took my GMAT on July 1st with the goal of applying R1 to Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton, and knew I needed to quickly turn my attention to my applications.
I have a relatively overrepresented professional background and was concerned about how I could stand out from the many with identical work experience. I knew I wanted to engage a consultant and knew I needed someone who (1) could dedicate the time to truly understand what makes me ME, (2) keep up with my rapid pace of iterations, and (3) had a diverse client base such that he or she wasn’t giving the exact same, cookie-cutter advice to dozens of other applicants struggling with the same issue. Further, I knew that my working style would require a lot of consultation, discussions, and experimenting with ideas, thus I knew I needed an “all-you-can-eat” model (vs an hourly model).
I did an intro call with Yaron and quickly gained comfort around my couple of key criteria. I was attracted to the fact that he only takes on ~10-15 clients (vs 50+ elsewhere) and that he repeatedly told me we could chat on the phone as much or as little as I wanted. He also emphasized that he not only had worked with a number of people with my same profile, but also many people with very diverse profiles, which gave me confidence he had good context for what I bring to the table as well as a good barometer for how that would look when compared to other candidates.
Once we started working together, I was extremely impressed by Yaron’s commitment to my application push. He spent hours on the phone with my drawing out every detail of my childhood up through my current job, taking detailed notes and spit balling some potential essay topics. Yaron was also willing to speak with my parents for a few hours and used that conversation to fill in some of the detail around my younger years. What I was most impressed by, however, was the pace at which Yaron turned things around – I would send him multiple full essay drafts almost every night before I went to sleep (~between 12am and 3am) and would get back thoughtful comments on each draft the very next morning (even on weekends!). Yaron’s geographic location (Europe) allowed for this dynamic, and it was clear to me that he was reviewing my essays for hours starting from the moment he woke up.
I was incredibly proud of how my applications turned out and I attribute a great deal of my success to Yaron’s hands-on, white-glove approach to the process. I got the sense that he really cared about getting to know me and helping me reach my goals, which made the whole process that much more enjoyable and productive.
I have enthusiastically recommended Yaron and Menlo to all my coworkers and friends and hope my excitement has come through here. With Yaron’s help, I ultimately earned acceptances at Stanford GSB and Wharton (along with a deferral at Harvard that is still pending at time of writing). Thank you again, Yaron!
Joined: May 17, 2020
Working with Yaron, and Menlo coaching, was one of the best decisions I have made throughout the MBA application process. As someone coming from a lower-ranked undergraduate school without a prestigious resume, I knew that I was fighting an uphill battle from the start. However, with Yaron’s constant guidance, shockingly fast turnaround times, and his deep understanding of story, I was able to get fantastic admits at multiple programs.
Yaron’s biggest strength is that he understands how to tell a story. Yaron was able to ask me the right questions and to help me understand what my MBA goals were and how to tell my story to the admissions committee. As I started working on my essays, I realized the time zone difference was an advantage, with Yaron turning things around as I slept or while I was at work.
In times where Yaron was a little uncertain on how to advise me, he quickly brought in other consultants with subject-matter expertise. I’d recommend Yaron, and Menlo to anyone who is willing to do the hard work needed to get into a top MBA program and who needs help navigating the incredibly demanding and time-consuming MBA application process.
Another great advantage of the Menlo program I wish to highlight is the group sessions with the community of peers who are applying at the same time, and the Menlo network. Through Menlo’s network, I was able to connect with students and alumni, who were extraordinarily helpful, and this was an unexpected benefit of working with Menlo.
As a result of my work with Yaron, I was able to punch above my weight and was accepted into five of the eight top-10 programs I applied to. I couldn’t be more excited by the results, which I could not have gotten without Menlo. When I see my peers who have been accepted to the same top-tier MBA programs as I, I am often the only one in the room who didn’t work for MBB consulting, a bulge bracket bank, and didn’t have an Ivy League education. It is thanks to the guidance and insights of Yaron and Menlo that I got the results I did.
Joined: Jan 26, 2019
I was accepted to Wharton, Stern (with full scholarship), and Ross (with $$). David helped make my MBA admission dreams come true!
Looking back to when I was first researching MBA consultants, I was hesitant about the price, but I KNOW now that David and Menlo Coaching were worth every penny. He exceeded my expectations as an MBA coach. Not only did he provide the services that I expected (with recommendations, essays, interviewing, etc.), but he helped me beyond what I was paying for. David helped me develop a very sensitive, personal story (that I have only shared with a handful of people including David) into essays that I am still proud of and gave me guidance with multiple, unexpected issues that came up at my job, including one that I was concerned would affect my MBA candidacy. He gave me the advice I needed to handle these problems at work and still produce the best applications with great results!
I believe in David and Menlo’s work and have been referring David to my friends and co-workers who are thinking about going to business school. One of my best friends is currently working with him now.
Joined: Dec 06, 2016
770 Q51 V42
If you want to work with the best consultant in the game, look no further. I worked with an admissions consultant for undergrad, and then again to apply for deferred MBA programs while still in school, and most recently for full-time MBA applications with David. The experience working with David when compared to the others I have worked with or friends have worked with is astounding.
David and I started working together about a year before I submitted my first application. He did a great job helping me make professional decisions that would improve my candidacy. Unlike other consultants I’ve worked within the past, David is continually available to meet via Zoom.
David doesn’t just help with the tangibles (resume/essays etc), he works to learn about you and help you write your story. I think we spent 3-4 hours just discussing my “story”. I truly feel like David got to know me (and that I got to know David) and it made working together more useful and more interesting.
David’s no bull attitude is refreshing. He won’t pull any punches and isn’t afraid to tell it like it is, which is important when working on MBA applications. David forced me to think not only about where I wanted to go to school but what I truly wanted to do after. He even connected me with multiple of his previous clients so I could learn about what work they were doing.
End result: CBS admit with 100k merit scholarship, Wharton admit with 80k merit scholarship
I could not recommend David (and the rest of his team who helped with interview prep) any more highly. If you are here looking for the best, you’ve found him.
Joined: Apr 22, 2020
REVIEWER IDENTITY VERIFIED by school email address [?]
I first started working with David White back in 2016. I had just started my first job out of college and wanted his help in strategizing my career while I plan to apply for MBA programs in the next 2-3 years. From the first time we chatted, David demonstrated that he was committed to helping me achieve my dreams. Always responsive, professional and structured, he spent so much time helping me craft my story, advising me on making the right career moves, and even connecting me with great GMAT tutors.
I was definitely not the easiest client to work with: I had a lot to juggle along with my job and extra curriculars, I had a below average GMAT/GPA, came from a non-orthodox background, and went through family hardships during the process. David was there in my corner every step of the way, continuously encouraging and advising me on how best to move forward. I had even applied during the 2018-2019 cycle, when I only applied to H/S/W with only a 640 GMAT - though I was able to secure an interview at Wharton, I of course didn't make it into any schools. It didn't stop him from continuing to help me during next admissions cycle.
I had a lot going against me. I started in community college and even went through a job layoff during the process - Menlo Coaching was kind enough to waive fees for me during this cycle because of the layoff. Despite all this, I was able to make it into four top 10 programs. I'm excited to be starting at Wharton this fall (with $$$ on top of it!). This would not have been possible without David there constantly backing me up. He became more than just a consultant, he was a trusted advisor and friend. I cannot recommend him and Menlo Coaching enough - he was absolutely vital in helping me make my dream come true.
He stuck with and never gave up on me, even when I almost did - for that I am eternally grateful. If you're looking to maximize your chances of making into one of these programs - you can rest easy knowing this man will be there to guide you all the way.
Joined: Apr 20, 2020
Alice came highly recommended to me by my partner who had a wonderful experience working with her and the entire Menlo Coaching team. His application process ended with a successful outcome and was accepted to his top choice school (CBS).
From our very first discussion, Alice provided me with a clear plan forward to best position myself for my future application. As a participant in the Early Bird program, I worked with Alice for more than a year in a very structured and organized manner. I struggled with the GRE until late in my application process, and her help navigating the test while balancing all aspects of the application was truly invaluable in being able to apply by the Round 1 deadline. I also appreciated that Alice provides her clients access to working with additional members of the Menlo team, especially with interview prep. Mock interviewing with both Alice and Obinna made me feel confident and prepared going into the real interview.
Alice cares deeply about her clients’ success and that is evident in her work. I cannot thank her enough for her guidance and patience throughout the entire application process. She exceeded all of my expectations, and I would not be attending my dream school in the fall without her support.
She is an extraordinary and knowledgeable resource for prospective business school applicants, and I can’t recommend Alice and the Menlo Coaching team more strongly.
Joined: Jun 30, 2017
REVIEWER IDENTITY VERIFIED by school email address [?]
My only regret was that I wish I started working with David and his team earlier in the process! Not to say that I ran out of time or felt rushed, but David referred me to a fantastic GMAT tutor that I wish I started with earlier and has great insights on how to approve your application. Menlo coaching has put together a thorough set of materials that lays out the application in a very structured way, making it tough to procrastinate.
I required a lot of attention throughout the application process and David always responded within one day, even on weekends. I was persistent and non-orthodox in my approach and appreciated David’s support. He continued to assist me while I was wait-listed at Wharton and even supported me in my appeal to HBS.
At each step of the way David has prepared materials, additional resources at your disposal and unique insights that allow you to put your best foot forward.
Joined: Apr 03, 2020
770 Q49 V46
I am thrilled that I decided to work with Menlo coaching for my applications - it was such an energizing and educative process. The team has a deeply personal approach; Alice pushed me to go deep in developing my story and helped me craft this to each school in the most compelling way. I received lots of conflicting sources of advice from friends and colleagues - having Alice's informed expertise was incredibly reassuring as I could trust that every detail and perspective had been considered. I was astonished by how swiftly and thoroughly Alice and the Menlo team would come back with comments or responses to my questions - the level of attention and care made me feel like their only client. I had studied humanities as an undergrad and thought I knew how to write an essay, but working with Alice has made me a much sharper writer and interviewee! I definitely could not have achieved these two admissions without Alice and I'm so glad that I chose to work with Menlo.
Joined: Sep 11, 2019
REVIEWER IDENTITY VERIFIED by score report [?]
I finally made up my mind to apply for MBA in August, which was kind of late in the application process. Alice and David came highly recommended by a friend of mine who worked with Menlo R1, so I got on the free consultation call with Alice. Here were my impressions after the call that made me decide to choose Alice as my MBA coach:
1. Alice is really honest and personal: she obviously came prepared during my call and I felt that she was really trying to get to know me and understand why I want to pursue MBA. Unlike other MBA consultants who kept selling about themselves, she was trying to help me understand my options and even suggested that I apply next year as she believed I would have better results and be more prepared. Although I ended up applying R2 this year, I really appreciated her honesty and how she sincerely hoped me to achieve the best MBA results.
2. Alice is highly qualified: When I was searching for MBA coaches, they normally fall into two groups. One group is professionals who went to a top MBA and are doing MBA coaching part time. I found them to be impressive people to work with, but they are really doing it part time and they have other priorities with their career. The second group is Ex-AO from top MBA program, they understand the MBA process and are usually super nice, but I don't feel the connection. Alice has both things I was looking for - super impressive professionals + fully committed to MBA coaching.
3. Alice had extensive experience with international/over-representative applicants: She had extensive experience working with MBA candidates around the world. During my conversation, I got the sense that she really understood the challenge international applicants have, especially from an over-representative group.
After working with Alice in the past few months throughout R2 application, I am truly convinced that choosing Alice to be my MBA coach was the best decision I’ve ever made and I see Alice as my mentor now who I hope to stay in touch after my MBA application process. Here are the reasons:
2. I received great offers: I applied to 5 schools in the top 10 MBA programs, received four interviews. I got accepted to 2 schools and waitlisted by 2 schools (Alice is still helping me off the waitlist)
3. This is truly full service and totally worth the cost: Menlo is a powerhouse and their team will help you with every aspect of MBA application even though Alice is my main coach. Starting from figuring out school selection, enhancing GMAT score, school networking, developing personal story, preparing for interviews, all the way to discuss school decisions and work on the waitlist.
4. Super responsive and perfectionist: Alice and Menlo team were super responsive throughout my application process. She is also a perfectionist as well. I can’t remember how many iterations we went through for my resume and essays. She would make sure any materials I submitted to be the best my ability.
5. Good at help you navigate this emotional process: MBA application process is an emotional process. I felt Alice is on my side as a friend who understands my feelings but more importantly, as a great mentor who helps you navigate this emotional process.
I am writing this testimonial not just because of the fantastic MBA results I received. I am recommending Alice and other consultants from Menlo because they are the best in class and will help you achieve your full potential with your MBA application.
Joined: Mar 29, 2020
750 Q49 V42
I am really pleased that I got to know of Alice through a friend and I decided to engage Menlo Coaching for my 2019 MBA applications.
I was quite sure about pursuing MBA since 2018 and I was lucky to have quite a few friends who had gone through the process to guide me. Honestly, looking at people’s stories and career goals was a bit intimidating and having applied earlier in 2016 to a bunch of schools with no success deterred my confidence. I had a huge weakness in my profile and being in one of the most competitive pools of applicants, it definitely did not help my case.
Bottom line was that I needed expert help to guide me through my applications and maximize my chances at top 10 schools. Fortunately, I started my search for a consultant in January 2019, which I believed was quite early but as it turns out it was actually the right time, if not late. I talked to multiple consultants before deciding to go with Alice.
I was quite impressed with Alice from the get go. First of all, Alice and David are the top rated consultants on many forums. In addition to that, the note I received from Alice when I reached out to her was extremely personal and warm. It showed her genuine interest in helping candidates, even prospective clients who had not signed up with her yet.
The candidacy evaluation call with Alice was quite different as compared to other consultants. Instead of selling herself and talking about her services she was more interested in my point of view, my profile, my reasons for applying to an MBA program and my career goals. She provided a candid evaluation of my chances at different schools, she had done her homework on analyzing my resume and coming up with a plan of action to address weaknesses in my candidacy. She also provided an honest opinion on why different people choose to pursue MBA and whether it made sense for me to do the same. Alice and David are quite selective in choosing their clients and they enjoy a bit of a challenge, which my application definitely provided. Soon after my chat with Alice, I did some cost benefit analysis on choosing the right consultant - the fees, number of schools I could apply and the historical success rate. I knew that getting in a top 10 program would be very challenging and Alice, with her flat fee model and personalized approach to shape each candidate’s application, was perfect for me.
Working with Menlo Coaching was a pleasure and a true partnership. Here are a few things about Alice and her team that you should know which make them stand apart:
1. They make you work and are on your toes to make sure you make progress - helps you not lose sight in the bustle of work and personal priorities
2. They have the experience and understanding of what the admissions committee value in a prospective student - helps you clear the clutter and focus on the important parts of your story
3. They start early - extremely important to get ahead of the curve; also helps you plan out school visits and other things that can bolster your application
4. They are very methodical and structured - their succinct video tutorials, reference materials and project management tool help you keep on track
5. They are super accessible and extremely prompt in feedback - it feels truly collaborative and personal; I have been on one-on-one calls with Alice and Leslie for many hours to talk about my personal stories, education, work and goals
6. They help you think about your own story without spoon feeding templates - helps you come out as a true one of a kind candidate
7. They are perfectionists - I have had at least 20 reviews of my resume and more than 6 to 7 edits on each of my essays for all of my 8 school applications
8. They help you get into the networking mindset while you are applying - through their former clients, existing clients and affiliates (peer reviews, reports on campus visits, interview notes, etc.)
9. They go out of their way in many ways like helping candidates with their GMAT / GRE prep by providing the right resources and connects
10. They are not machines, they care about their clients and do everything to accommodate their client’s requests - I had a pre-commitment after application deadlines which meant I needed to finish all my interviews in a very short window of time, and Alice helped me expedite the interview preparation in a way that worked best for me
11. They are excellent at helping candidates prepare for interviews - professional help with speech delivery, interview presence and interview preparation through multiple mock interviews and feedback sessions
12. They do not stop at resumes, essays, video essays or interviews, they help you through all that follows as well - scholarship negotiation, waitlist updates and even pre-MBA preparation
As for my results, I got interview calls from all the schools I applied to, got accepted at 2 top-10 schools with scholarships and was waitlisted at 2 other top-5 schools. It was a total shocker for me to have turned around my profile into a compelling application and being accepted at schools of my dream.
Although my contract with Menlo Coaching was for R1 applications, Alice is such a gem of a person that she even helped me with one R2 application for a very ambitious school that I really wanted to apply to. Alice truly values the relationships she develops with each of her clients and I would not hesitate to turn to her for advice anytime in future too.
I cannot stress enough how happy I am with Menlo Coaching. They are true professionals but at the same time equally personal in their approach. Alice is a pleasure to work with and someone who I would love to be in touch with going forward.
If you are still deciding on the choice of an admissions consultant, Alice and David would be my sincerest recommendation.