Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2829 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: 1,q) is a point on line L. Is the slope of L greater than 0? [#permalink]
I got D too, but just realized why I was wrong. Anybody else has a clue? ;)
Director
Director
Send PM
Good baner! :b:

OA is (B).
Director
Director
Send PM
baner and HongHu,

ok in (i) q = 1

slope = (1-q)/(q-1)=(1-1)/(1-1)=0/0 = 0 or infinite or undefined or ??????

if it is 0, then ststement (i) is sufficiemnt.

guys pls explain........
Director
Director
Send PM
If q=1, (1,q) and (q,1) is one point. You need two points to determine a line. If you only have one point, there's no way you know if the slope is negative. Thus insufficient.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
HongHu explained it well enuf.....1 point can't give u a line....so insuff...also 0/0 is actually undefined.
Director
Director
Send PM
HongHu wrote:
If q=1, (1,q) and (q,1) is one point. You need two points to determine a line. If you only have one point, there's no way you know if the slope is negative. Thus insufficient.

thanks guys. pretty clear......
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Send PM
If I can add a very important gmat point to this:

I was having a problem with this problem. I guess D should have worked, because both point to a specific situation in which we can know about the slope. But what I didn't like was that the two statements seemed to point to two different lines.

In the second statment, we see that the line L must be a straight, horizontal line, with slope 0. That's fine, and difinitive enought. But in statement number one, we see that the line must have two different points at two different locations. We get a positive slope, so we can answer the question, but it's not 0, which it was in number 2.

I was about to comment that this couldn't be a real GMAT question, because the two statments always have to speak about the same answer. And here is my point: you will never get D in a way that the two statements both work but both point to a different answer.

If this happened on the test, I would have been forced to think about it again. And then I realized that q could be 1, which would derail statement 1 as enough, but it would then allow the line L to have a slope of zero.

So remember that. If they don't match up, then you're missing something.
Director
Director
Send PM
C means you could get a solution by working both conditions together.

D means each of the two conditions can give you an answer indepently. They don't have to give you the same answer. In this question, if (I) says 1<>1, then the answer would indeed be D.
CIO
CIO
Send PM
HongHu wrote:
C means you could get a solution by working both conditions together.

D means each of the two conditions can give you an answer indepently. They don't have to give you the same answer. In this question, if (I) says 1<>1, then the answer would indeed be D.

HongHu, this is simply not the case. The writer of a data sufficiency question has a specific answer in mind, and writes the question to that answer. The statements go some or all of the way towards getting that answer, but they never speak about different situations entirely.

I will bet my business on it. This is a terribly important nuance that people taking the GMAT would be well served to understand. Once you do, you can learn how to use the answer choices to get information about hte problem, even if you're not choosing C, as I did in the example above.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hmmm, I could almost swear that I've seen questions where (i) and (ii) leads to different answers but both are sufficient indepently (thus (D)). I'll let you know if I see one like this. You may very well be right. But I'm still a bit suspicious to this. It's almost adding a new assumption of yourself to a question. I wouldn't do it if I have other ways to solve a question.
CIO
CIO
Send PM
HongHu wrote:
Hmmm, I could almost swear that I've seen questions where (i) and (ii) leads to different answers but both are sufficient indepently (thus (D)). I'll let you know if I see one like this. You may very well be right. But I'm still a bit suspicious to this. It's almost adding a new assumption of yourself to a question. I wouldn't do it if I have other ways to solve a question.

The question is whether or not you have seen them on real test examples or on boards or from other sources. Many people developing questions do not recognize this nuance. But go through the DS section of the entire OG, for example, and you will not find one example of this. I can show you a thousand other data sufficiencies. Not a single one will ever have the two statements contradicting each other.

If you do find one, I'll be happy to explore it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
I agree with ian7777,

Most ETS questions with choice D refers to same answer
Director
Director
Send PM
ian7777 wrote:
HongHu wrote:

The question is whether or not you have seen them on real test examples or on boards or from other sources. Many people developing questions do not recognize this nuance. But go through the DS section of the entire OG, for example, and you will not find one example of this. I can show you a thousand other data sufficiencies. Not a single one will ever have the two statements contradicting each other.

If you do find one, I'll be happy to explore it.

Thanks Ian for more clearification.....................
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 285 [0]
Send PM
I agree with Ian. But I have seen questions where the statements contradict each other... But never in the questions from the OG. These questions are always from other sources....

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts