Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3663 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The general density dependence model can be [#permalink]
i would say 12-A and 13-E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
I get A and E

It seems we all agree on 12 so I'll explain my though process for 13.

The article is only 2 paragraphs. The enire 1st paragraph explains the model. The second paragraph points out inconcistencies but finishes explaining uses despite the consistencies. If the purpose was to only point out the consistencies then the author would spend more time on them. Also if the purpose was just to explain the inconsistencies then he/she would not conclude with additional uses despite these consistencies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 382 [0]
Send PM
gixxer1000 wrote:
I get A and E

The article is only 2 paragraphs. The enire 1st paragraph explains the model. The second paragraph points out inconcistencies but finishes explaining uses despite the consistencies. If the purpose was to only point out the consistencies then the author would spend more time on them. Also if the purpose was just to explain the inconsistencies then he/she would not conclude with additional uses despite these consistencies.

12 A , 13-B

My interpretation:

Author is talking about inconsistency of the economic model , he is nowhere mentioning whether these inconsistencies still keep the economic model valid and so it refutes the argument in E.
Director
Director
Send PM
For 12
prasannar wrote:
[b]At high density levels,
however, competitive effects outweigh legitimation
effects, discouraging foundings[/b] thus A for 12

Paragraph-1 explains the model
Paragraph-2 explains the inconsistencies thus B for 13

But in the second paraghrap the author says: other studies have found patterns not consistent with the model

Does it mean that the author suggests the reversion of what he says in the first paraghrap?

I mean:

In the quout of prasannar: high density discourages foundings. But in the green boldface he say reversally, and means that: the high density courages the foundings. So foundings must increase! is it right?

For 13:

OA is E. I think if E was sitting in the first or the second order, I will choose E immediately. But Gmac is too monster! it keeps the nearly close correct in the first to throw us. Do you think so!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [1]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Kudos
rpmodi wrote:
gixxer1000 wrote:
I get A and E

12 A , 13-B

My interpretation:

Author is talking about inconsistency of the economic model , he is nowhere mentioning whether these inconsistencies still keep the economic model valid and so it refutes the argument in E.

When answering the primary purpose question you shoul look at the beginning and ending of the article. The beginning is where you set the tone and explain the topic and the end is where you conclude and summarize what you think about the topic.

The entire first paragraph explains the model.

The second paragraph starts out:
"While several studies have found a significant correspondence between the density dependence model and actual patterns of foundings, other studies have found patterns not consistent with the model."

So the author tells us several studies have found consistencies, others have not.

The final sentence conludes:
"Even within national contexts, studies have found more
support for the density dependence model when they employ broader geographic units of analysis--for example, finding that the model's operation is seen more clearly at the state and national levels than at city levels."

So even after the author points out the inconsistencies he goes back and shows support for the model.

Here is the flow of the article:
1) Describe a model and show that it can work.
2) Show that several studies show consistent results and other do not.
3) Detail why others do not show consistent results.
4) Conclude that despite inconsistent results there is still applicable uses for the model.

90% of the time the primary purpose of the passage is located and the beginning and ending. You should always go back and read atleast those two sentences before choosing.
Director
Director
Send PM
gixxer1000 wrote:
rpmodi wrote:
gixxer1000 wrote:
I get A and E

12 A , 13-B

My interpretation:

When answering the primary purpose question you shoul look at the beginning and ending of the article. The beginning is where you set the tone and explain the topic and the end is where you conclude and summarize what you think about the topic.

The entire first paragraph explains the model.

The second paragraph starts out:
"While several studies have found a significant correspondence between the density dependence model and actual patterns of foundings, other studies have found patterns not consistent with the model."

So the author tells us several studies have found consistencies, others have not.

The final sentence conludes:
"Even within national contexts, studies have found more
support for the density dependence model when they employ broader geographic units of analysis--for example, finding that the model's operation is seen more clearly at the state and national levels than at city levels."

So even after the author points out the inconsistencies he goes back and shows support for the model.

Here is the flow of the article:
1) Describe a model and show that it can work.
2) Show that several studies show consistent results and other do not.
3) Detail why others do not show consistent results.
4) Conclude that despite inconsistent results there is still applicable uses for the model.

90% of the time the primary purpose of the passage is located and the beginning and ending. You should always go back and read atleast those two sentences before choosing.

Nice! I think you are master of Verbal! :-D

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts