GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 00:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

100% Simon vs 15% IE vs 0% Emory and Oxford

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 39% [9]
  • 17% [4]
  • 4% [1]
  • 39% [9]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
100% Simon vs 15% IE vs 0% Emory and Oxford  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 17:51
Though I am quite old (35) and Indian, rest of my application is quite decent - 740 GMAT, 10+ years of international work experince in 6 different countries, Undergrad from a decent college in India, above average salary, etc.

In short term after MBA, I would like to move to a more prominent leadership role in a manufacturing company.

Oxford has a great brand value. However, Simon has given me 100% scholarship, and I feel two years time will give me more time to work/think about future.

Is selecting Simon over others will be a wise decision ?
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 100% Simon vs 15% IE vs 0% Emory and Oxford  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 01:18
abhikrek wrote:
Though I am quite old (35) and Indian, rest of my application is quite decent - 740 GMAT, 10+ years of international work experince in 6 different countries, Undergrad from a decent college in India, above average salary, etc.

In short term after MBA, I would like to move to a more prominent leadership role in a manufacturing company.

Oxford has a great brand value. However, Simon has given me 100% scholarship, and I feel two years time will give me more time to work/think about future.

Is selecting Simon over others will be a wise decision ?

Congrats

I understand you situation but how do you see 1 year mba vs 2 year mba? Also, where do you want end up living and working UK vs US?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 01:59
I have written down the advantages and disadvantages of 1 year vs. 2 years and honestly it's difficult to take a decision on them.

The opportunity cost is quite less in a one year program. However, I would not be able to work during the whole period (I have been involved with some ERP implementation projects for many years and spend 15-20 hours/week on them). If I go for 2 years program then I will be able to manage 10-15 hours/week and would earn enough to take care of my living expenses.

I don't plan to work in US/Europe as good savings is pretty important for me. Main target is Singapore. If not then Middle East

I have to take a call by 3rd June. Any suggestion/comment will be really appreciated.

Will I look like a stupid if I select Simon over Oxford?
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 02:41
abhikrek wrote:
I have written down the advantages and disadvantages of 1 year vs. 2 years and honestly it's difficult to take a decision on them.

The opportunity cost is quite less in a one year program. However, I would not be able to work during the whole period (I have been involved with some ERP implementation projects for many years and spend 15-20 hours/week on them). If I go for 2 years program then I will be able to manage 10-15 hours/week and would earn enough to take care of my living expenses.

I don't plan to work in US/Europe as good savings is pretty important for me. Main target is Singapore. If not then Middle East

I have to take a call by 3rd June. Any suggestion/comment will be really appreciated.

Will I look like a stupid if I select Simon over Oxford?

I do not know how this help you penetrate Singapore. I think you should have applied to NUS or Nanyang. This would give you one year to search for job in Singapore. Theoretically, UK certificates fits in Singapore but nothing guaranteed. I doubt will Simon will help you there, except your nationality gives you advantage to land Singapore and search for job.

If you choose Simon, you won't be stupid. However, you must work very hard to search for job in Middle East or Singapore.

I have another idea. You may accept Simon offer. Then you can use the OPT for 12 months. During this time, you may expand you search for job in region you like or you may change your view and stay on the US if gain H1B. You may take the same idea for Oxford but watch out the Brexit if happened.

You may have look for reviews for both schools in our review links:

http://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/oxford-25

http://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/simon-65
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 04:27
Thanks a lot!!! Mo2men
I had applied for NUS but the school suggested me to go for part-time/executive MBA program :-)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 11:57
Oxford Said:
I would take oxford out of it since IE is ranked/positioned better anyway. Oxford is getting up there, though there have been some voices indicating the program is fairly young and has not established itself yet. Anyone heard better things about Said?

Simon:
What I have heard about the Simon's incoming class being heavy-weighted towards Indian applicants with over 30%, so you will feel comfy but not sure that is why you are going to the bschool and the mba program. I am sure all will be qualified but likely you will be overqualified (hence the full scholarship you are being offered). So I am a little disappointed in their decision to make it so heavy-weighted in one category/group/nationality.

Between Simon and Emory - hard to pick when a full scholarship is involved. Everyone's situation is different. If you have $150K in your account to cover the school and tuition, then it may be worth splurging and going to a top 20 school in light of some of the issues at Simon and a better geo location and better access to employers in Atlanta. At the same time, if you are not sure what you going to do/want to go into Manufacturing, which I don't think is strong in the south, Simon is a good/free choice.

Between IE and Simon/Emory - big difference with locations and paths. If you are planning to work in the US, you have to stick to the US side. If you want to be in Europe, then IE is it. You have traveled enough, so you may have a preference here. The IE program is only 12 months vs. 20 for the Simon (with internship). These will be very different experiences. I feel Simon will be more spaced out with an internship and courses whereas IE will be intensive with recruiting starting within months of matriculating, allowing for faster off-line time, but it almost sounds you want more of the time to think about your career, path, and plans going forward.
Re: 100% Simon vs 15% IE vs 0% Emory and Oxford   [#permalink] 25 May 2016, 11:57

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate