Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Send PM
Re: Optional Essay Question [#permalink]
I know this is the place where you should explain why you did not ask your current supervisor for rec letters.
And usually school understand that this stuff can be sensitive.

But what are the typical explanation?
I just want to know what are the common approach for this issue. Is there any good/bad reason?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I think the typical reason is that the person hasn't told their supervisor/employer that they're applying to business school, because they don't want to bring up the possibility of them leaving the company until they're certain they've gotten admitted somewhere. I think schools understand this situation and so long as the other recommenders have good first-hand knowledge of your performance it's not a big deal.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NJMike4MBA wrote:
I think the typical reason is that the person hasn't told their supervisor/employer that they're applying to business school, because they don't want to bring up the possibility of them leaving the company until they're certain they've gotten admitted somewhere. I think schools understand this situation and so long as the other recommenders have good first-hand knowledge of your performance it's not a big deal.

Thanks for ur input.
By the way, do you actually tell your employer you're quitting right after the admit...or do you wait until you're 1 month/2 weeks away from quitting? I preferred telling him/her later, but I'm afraid when they do background check and stuff, they might need to contact my supervisor. Does this ever become a problem for other people?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
My boss knew I was applying, so as soon as I told him I was admitted he knew I was going to be leaving. We've already begun talking about what my last day in the office will be. I think deciding on when you tell your boss is going to depend on your relationship with him/her and will probably vary pretty dramatically.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I see..you told your boss.. that makes the whole thing easier.
I'm leaning towards not telling him.. hmm..maybe I have to rethink about this.

Anybody else on the same boat? (not telling their supervisor about MBA)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I haven't told my boss about my admit. I'm waiting until a month or so before I leave.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
refurb wrote:
I haven't told my boss about my admit. I'm waiting until a month or so before I leave.

RF

ditto.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
What other things can one mention in the optional essay if GPA is not a problem ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
crackfire2003 wrote:
What other things can one mention in the optional essay if GPA is not a problem ?

For some of the schools I was required to use the optional essay to explain gaps in my employment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
All,
I am facing this Percentage to GPA dilemma and after having spoken to a professor in Ivy league, I learnt that a <3.5 could be risky as it brings down the average of the entering class. I reached out to the school to find out how my 78%, and being in the top 5 in a class of 60 would be normalized to a GPA but haven't heard back. There are no grades on my mark-sheet, so all one can know is that it is an Honors degree from a certain university in India. Looking at some conversion formulae on Internet, my GPA can go as low as 2.9, which I personally feel is inaccurate.
Should I try to explain my position on percentage and all in the optional essay? Earlier I was thinking of explaining a recent job switch, the only one in last 7 years, in the optional essay. Can I explain two things in the optional essay - % and job switch?

Thanks a lot for your help.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ravsg wrote:
All,
I am facing this Percentage to GPA dilemma and after having spoken to a professor in Ivy league, I learnt that a <3.5 could be risky as it brings down the average of the entering class. I reached out to the school to find out how my 78%, and being in the top 5 in a class of 60 would be normalized to a GPA but haven't heard back. There are no grades on my mark-sheet, so all one can know is that it is an Honors degree from a certain university in India. Looking at some conversion formulae on Internet, my GPA can go as low as 2.9, which I personally feel is inaccurate.
Should I try to explain my position on percentage and all in the optional essay? Earlier I was thinking of explaining a recent job switch, the only one in last 7 years, in the optional essay. Can I explain two things in the optional essay - % and job switch?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Adcoms have seen thousands of international applicants across many different grading systems. They are well aware that being in the top 5 in your class and graduating with honors is indicative of excellent academic performance. You do not need to write an optional essay explaining your grades. They know not to compare a 78% from India to the 4.0 GPA scale in the US.

As for the job switch, many people switch jobs. Can you not address this in the career goals essay? Something along the lines of, "I was looking for XYZ experience, so I took a job at ABC company doing DEF." No need for the optional essay there either.

The optional essay is the place to explain gaps (2+ months) in employment, low GPA (either low class ranking or low grades) and inconsistent academic performance, any criminal record you may have, etc.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Adcoms have seen thousands of international applicants a....

Thanks for your help!
I am looking at starting a business after mba and the job switch doesn't help much in that regard, so was thinking of explaining that.
Also, where can I mention that I was in the top 5 in the class, resume?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
How low is a GPA that warrants an optional essay explanation?

I ended up with a 3.08 cumulative, 3.23 in my major (finance). Do I bother writing an optional essay to explain why I had a low GPA? I have some ways to explain it but I don't have any crazy excuse (death in the family, sickness, etc). My boss said not to bother because it just draws further attention to it and it may sound like I am making excuses.

I scored a 750 on my GMAT, went to a top 12 undergrad business school, 3 years W/E at matriculation, applying to elite programs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
ravsg wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Adcoms have seen thousands of international applicants a....

Thanks for your help!
I am looking at starting a business after mba and the job switch doesn't help much in that regard, so was thinking of explaining that.
Also, where can I mention that I was in the top 5 in the class, resume?

Resume would be a good place to put your top 5 thing..It's definitely eye-catching!
Regarding the % to GPA thing, you shouldn't worry about the conversion. Most of the schools' application forms contain two data fields - US GPA or International GPA. The International GPA data field generally has sub fields such as minimum GPA and maximum GPA. So in your case you would simply leave the US GPA field blank, write 78 in the International GPA field, 0 in the minimum GPA sub-field and 100 in the maximum GPA sub-field. As cheetarah1980 rightly pointed out, ad coms see hundreds if not thousands of applicants from India every year to know well enough about the % scales...

I don't think that explaining your job switch in an optional essay is a great idea because you are kinda attracting attention to a point that you yourself don't consider obviously beneficial from a post-MBA goals standpoint..I would just leave unnoticed or if any essay asks for career progression, you can maybe plug it in there and say that you switched for XYZ reasons..just a couple of lines, nothing elaborate since it doesn't seem to hold great importance in your grand scheme of things..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
mbarealestate wrote:
How low is a GPA that warrants an optional essay explanation?

I ended up with a 3.08 cumulative, 3.23 in my major (finance). Do I bother writing an optional essay to explain why I had a low GPA? I have some ways to explain it but I don't have any crazy excuse (death in the family, sickness, etc). My boss said not to bother because it just draws further attention to it and it may sound like I am making excuses.

I scored a 750 on my GMAT, went to a top 12 undergrad business school, 3 years W/E at matriculation, applying to elite programs.

It depends on which school you're applying to..
Check out the GPA ranges for the schools you are applying to...If your GPA is lesser than the lower end for that particular school or if you flunked courses, then you definitely must explain..If it is slightly higher than the lower end, you can possibly get off without writing it since you have a strong GMAT...If it is in between the range, don't even bother explaining it..Particularly since you mention that you don't have a great reason for the low GPA, I think your boss is correct in stating that you would be unnecessarily attracting unwarranted attention...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks guys!!! :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
dcdevil wrote:

For some of the schools I was required to use the optional essay to explain gaps in my employment.

Has anyone ever had a few months of unemployment on their resume and not explained it in the optional essay?
I was unemployed for a few months. I mention being laid off in an essay for each school, but I don't want to write 200 words on the fact that I got canned and couldn't land another job for a while. I didn't join a non-profit during my unemployment because that's a lot harder to do than it sounds. I don't see the value in writing an essay that will be negative in nature.
Does anyone think I could get dinged because I didn't write an optional essay about my period of unemployment?

Much obliged, Gmatclub.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2