Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-31-2015
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: 180 hours - is it enough? [#permalink]
matisch wrote:
thank you for a reply. I am aiming at 620-650, at the moment I'm studying economics and finances, so have quite much stuff in math.

I plan to study 5-6 hours on a weekday and free time on weekends. Is it worth doing e.g. Kaplan test with scores or is it better to do only DT without score?

Okay, well since I do not have enough experience to tell you whether you will get your desired score, I'll skip on that. I think you have an advantage considering your studyprogram. Be sure not to 'over do' it with the studying, take some time off now and than to relax.

Good luck. I hope someone experienced with Kaplan will reply to you soon.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi matisch,

The idea of a 'minimum' number of study hours comes from the general idea that most Test Takers study for 3 months and put in 10-15 hours per week during that time. So some people think that 120 hours is 'enough', while others think that 180 is 'enough.' It's a REALLY dubious deduction. The point about the length of study time is NOT about the total number of hours put in (but you WILL likely need to study a lot to hit your goals). The point is that the type of studying that you'll do for the GMAT is different from the type of studying you would do for a College/University Final Exam. You can't really 'cram' for the GMAT - the process takes time.

Academically, I think that 180 hours of study in 6 weeks is NOT a good idea. However, it might work for you.

First, we need to establish a 'baseline score' for you, so we can get a sense of your strengths and weaknesses and have a result that we can compare future results to. This will require that you take a FULL-LENGTH CAT test. If you've taken one already, then great - what were your scores? If you haven't taken one yet, then you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take the Test in one sitting. You should report back here with your scores.

I'm curious why you're planning to try to do all of this in such a short period of time?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,
thank you for your detailed reply. 12hours/week in 3 months are in total 140 hours. I'm going to study 180 hours, so maybe even to much??

About 6 weeks. This time will be during my holidays, so I will be concentrate only on my GMAT, I think it's better to keep such a high level of contrentration than to study 180 hours in e.g. 8-10 weeks, what dou you think?

At the moment I don't know what my "baseline score", but if we suppose it to ~500, is it enough time to reach 630, if I am a relative smart guy? :D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi matisch,

Until you take that first practice CAT, we have NO idea of your relative strengths and weaknesses. The GMAT is not an IQ test, so while it's certainly beneficial to be "reasonably smart", that really tells me nothing about how YOU will handle the Full Exam. I've worked with some brilliant people over the years who were so stubborn and 'stuck' in their ways that they were unable to properly adapt to what they NEEDED to learn about the GMAT. So there's something to be said for how flexible you are with your thinking - can you learn how to effectively deal with the GMAT?

An overall score of 630 certainly seems like a reasonable goal, but we still have no basis for comparison. 6 weeks might seem like a lot of time, but it's really not. Until you get started, we won't know for sure.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Expert Reply
matisch wrote:
Hey guys, i'm new here ;)

I'm going to start learning for GMAT and my plan is to realize it in 6 weeks and 180 hours. What do you think, is it more less enough time to spend with OG and Kaplan, or not? Maybe it's even too much? Thanks!

Hi Matisch,

I agree with Rich, it's important to understand where you stand now. Take a full exam, then design your study plan around how you'll take your score from where it is now to the 620-650 range. The time you allotted yourself to prepare is shorter (and much more intense) than the average test taker, but each person is different. Just remember that part of your study time should also involve reviewing summaries and notes you take along the way.

Best of luck, and let us know how things go!

Jessica
GMAT Club Bot