Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: 2010 Laptop discussion [#permalink]
asimov wrote:
T410/s both have optical drives.

Ah, ok! I was looking at the "Compare" tab on Lenovo's website, and the feature they listed was "blu-ray recordable high-definition optical DVD drive", which I glossed over and just assumed was the normal optical drive. The T510 has this, the T410 and T410s do not. I think it's just some fancier version of a normal one. Looking at the tech specs of the T410/s, both have "9.5mm DVD multiburner optical drive".

Thanks for pointing that out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Yale, Michigan, Cornell $$, Duke
 Q45  V46
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
gkumar wrote:
Hi shadow, do you have the right link to the larger thread? i got a lot of noise in the results when searching...

the-great-laptop-discussion-forum-61513.html

I've been trying to decide the best way to run Windows on my MacBook Pro when I get to YSOM, when I noticed this on the Class of 2012 page:

Laptops

Laptops play an integral role in the Yale MBA curriculum. All Yale SOM students, except those in the three-year JD/MBA program, receive a standard- issue laptop computer upon arrival at Orientation. This computer, which is the personal property of the student, is preloaded with the necessary software applications and configured to operate on the Yale SOM network. The brand and the hardware configuration of the computer will be announced in the spring. The SOM-IT Help Desk will fully support students in using their SOM laptop computers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
hwiya320 wrote:
My sister receieved a HP Elitebook from work and it looks like a great laptop. It's 14" so it gives you plenty of screen dimension with nice titanium/metal casing.

Has anyone had any of the HP laptops? I haven't had one in a while and i'm curious.

My gf received an HP laptop as a Christmas gift a few years back and it is far more reliable than any laptop I've owned personally (poor experience with IBM's, Sony's, and Dell's...Especially Dell's, ugh). I was so impressed that I purchased an HP desktop (I hobby with some hardcore graphics/video work and gaming in addition to using business applications) and I LOVE my HP computer. I normally build my computers from scratch by just purchasing all the components but HP was the first manufacturer I actually trust to do it right, for me. I fully intend to stick with HP as my experience with multiple computers of theirs has been great.

These I think can fit the small, good battery, while not sacrificing on too much power and value for your dollar. I'm deciding between these two computers:

HP TouchSmart tm2t series
HP Pavilion dm3t series

I'm not really too weight or price sensitive considering I'm used to paying upwards of 1500-2000 for a powerhouse 17" computer that makes my arm want to fall off when I carry it. If it made sense for b-school, I would actually go with a mac but that's just asking for compatibility headaches plus I can get twice the computer for the same price. I love macs but they're rarely cost effective or practical in a business setting (unless you work at a place where everyone uses a mac).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Yale
 Q48  V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I've had really good experience with Dell and HP business oriented laptops in the past.

Right now, it looks like the school provided laptop will be sufficient, probably going to be a Dell Latitude E6410. Honestly, though, if given the choice, I'd be picking between the Adamo, the Vostro V13, or the HP Elitebook 2750p.

I'm picking up an iPad this weekend...going to see if there's any legitimate usage case for it in b-school...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I'm getting ready to graduate, but can update my computer to Windows 7 for $20 (currently runs on XP). Do you guys think this is a good idea? Do I need to look at certain tech specs to make sure they are adequate? I have a Lenovo X61 which I love and runs great. Just wondering if I should do it since it is SO cheap....

Thanks!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
i like windows 7 a lot. very intuitive and user friendly... just make sure youve got at least 3 gb of ram on it for it to run smoothly.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
skaballet wrote:
I'm getting ready to graduate, but can update my computer to Windows 7 for $20 (currently runs on XP). Do you guys think this is a good idea? Do I need to look at certain tech specs to make sure they are adequate? I have a Lenovo X61 which I love and runs great. Just wondering if I should do it since it is SO cheap....

Thanks!

I wanted to upgrade from XP to W7 on my Fujitsu Lifebook netbook but i chose not to do it because it would be a nightmare with all the drivers for hardware and etc. Looking for W7 compatible drivers can be a lot of work.

Besides, I bought that thing last November as a temporary replacement while my Vaio was getting repaired. I rarely use it anyway.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:GWSB
GMAT 2: 610
Send PM
skaballet wrote:

Thanks!

I installed Windows 7 on my old HP desktop (bought in 2004), because I liked it very much on my recently purchased laptop. Even though Windows 7 installed OK, some of its cool features were not available because of outdated hardware. I also would have to abandon my scanner, which was bought about the same time as the desktop, because there are no drivers for that old model. So eventually I re-installed XP back. Some more information about that process is in this post: https://parttimembadegree.com/2009/11/27/mba-recess/ Basically, Windows 7 is a very cool OS, and at least no more "buggier" than XP, unlike the Vista flop, and therefore well worth upgrading to. But make sure your computer will support all its functionality. You can google smth like "Windows 7 compatibility" to find a Microsoft list of compatible hardware. They also have some tool that you can download on your computer to check compatibilty.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
the asus ul-30a which i advocated for earlier in the thread is now $599 at amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P3KMVC?tag=sdfp-20
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
the asus ul-30a which i advocated for earlier in the thread is now $599 at amazon:

what's the difference between the UL30a vs UL30VT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Ross 2012
 Q48  V37
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:

what's the difference between the UL30a vs UL30VT.

i'm pretty sure the ul30a just has the integrated intel graphics card, while the ul30vt has the intel and an nvidia card that you can switch to depending on what you're doing. i think im going with the ul30vt-a1 fwiw
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
Doesnt anyone use macbooks at school? I have one that is 1.5 years old but its really light and has great battery life. Other than possible non-compatibility with the school's network that I will check on are there any other downsides to a mac during b-school?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
aditi123 wrote:
Doesnt anyone use macbooks at school? I have one that is 1.5 years old but its really light and has great battery life. Other than possible non-compatibility with the school's network that I will check on are there any other downsides to a mac during b-school?

The big downside from my perspective is Excel compatibility. I work with independent consultants who use Macs, and they are constantly screwing up my files (through no fault of theirs, Excel for Macs just isn't very good). Also, the shortcuts for Excel for Macs are quite different, which means if you learn the shortcuts on a mac and later have to switch back to a PC for your job (common with consulting), you will be at a learning curve disadvantage.

Fingers crossed, I've never had any problems with the viruses or constant computer crashing that all Mac users seem to swear is common with PCs. To each their own I guess.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I was reading on engadget that Asus is coming out with several new models soon, including for the UL series (ultra-light) and for the PL series (business). That would explain the price drop to 799.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Unhedged, that's good to know about the upcoming Asus models, I must have missed that engadget story. I think if their current UL30 models got discounted to around $500 then I would bite. Congrats on Kellogg, btw.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, General Management
Schools:Wharton 2012
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
WE 2: Media Company - Strategy & Finance
WE 3: Film Producer, Entertainment Marketing
Send PM
I am heavily considering the Dell V13. Full spec laptop and only 3.5 lbs with the battery. Looking to find some more reviews online and see it in person before I purchase. I'll also probably wait until July.

https://www.engadget.com/2009/12/08/dell ... sions-yes/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
I already have a laptop that I love, but it's a 17'' HP with limited battery life that isn't convenient for lugging around on a daily basis. However, I wasn't going to go out and pay a lot of money for a new laptop for b-school. Somewhat inspired by the "complimentary computer" nature of the iPad, I bought a $300 Acer Aspire netbook. It has 1 gig ram, windows 7 starter, 10.1'' screen, 8+ hrs of battery life, a decent sized keyboard, and is as light and portable as can be (no DVD drive). I've got Microsoft Office on it and it runs pretty well -- I should be able to do whatever I need to do in excel or word at any time and I can always use my other laptop if I'm going to be working on something for hours. I also set up my bigger laptop for remote access (XP Pro) if I need to do any heavy lifting. So far my only complaint is that I haven't been able to get the webcam to work well over gchat.

This probably isn't the solution for most, but since I didn't need a new computer and just wanted something utilitarian and portable I think this will meet all my bschool needs.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9