It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Full-Time Undergrad seeking Master's of Accounting Degree
Joined: 23 Apr 2015
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Location: United States (TX)
2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 04:56
Please share your stats, stories, and advice in order to help all fellow 2016 MAcc applicants!

Use this template!

GMAT:
GPA:
Undergrad major:
Work experience:
Schools applied (applying to):
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend:

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Full-Time Undergrad seeking Master's of Accounting Degree
Joined: 23 Apr 2015
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Location: United States (TX)
Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 05:05
GMAT: Scheduled for 11/7/15
GPA: 3.60
Undergrad major: Double-major in Accounting and Finance
Work experience: 3 Accounting Internships (one upcoming with PwC)
Schools applied (applying to): UT-Austin, UVa, Vanderbilt, SMU, Wake Forest, William & Mary, Tulane, Texas A&M
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend:

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 06:47
GMAT:570 (barely studied)
GPA:3.95
Undergrad major:Accounting and Economics
Work experience: Internal Audit Intern (at my college), VITA assistant site manager, accountant (basically the controller) for a museum
Schools applied (applying to): NC State, Wake Forest, W&M
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend:
If I get KPMG to pay for my Masters, I will go to WFU. I will otherwise go to NC State. I will go to W&M if I get a full ride (they do not look at GMAT)

What are my chances of getting into UT? How much would I have to raise my GMAT?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Full-Time Undergrad seeking Master's of Accounting Degree
Joined: 23 Apr 2015
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Location: United States (TX)
Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 07:49
nrdes234gs wrote:
GMAT:570 (barely studied)
GPA:3.95
Undergrad major:Accounting and Economics
Work experience: Internal Audit Intern (at my college), VITA assistant site manager, accountant (basically the controller) for a museum
Schools applied (applying to): NC State, Wake Forest, W&M
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend:
If I get KPMG to pay for my Masters, I will go to WFU. I will otherwise go to NC State. I will go to W&M if I get a full ride (they do not look at GMAT)

What are my chances of getting into UT? How much would I have to raise my GMAT?


nrdes234gs,

Since UT has the top Master of Accounting program (MPA) in the nation they typically require relatively high GMAT scores (usually above 650). However, you may be given some leniency due to your high GPA. I had a friend who scored a 630 and was admitted due to his high undergrad GPA. I am also applying to UT, Wake, and W&M but have yet to take the GMAT (currently studying my butt off). W&M is on my radar simply for the fact that it has a great program at a top-notch school & they waive the GMAT, which is definitely a rare combination. However, my top school is UVA by far.

Just curious, did KPMG inform you that they would pay for your masters? If not, how are you planning to approach them about it? I am in a similar situation with PwC but I have never heard of Big 4 firms paying for a MAcc degree.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 16:02
JC12 wrote:
nrdes234gs wrote:
GMAT:570 (barely studied)
GPA:3.95
Undergrad major:Accounting and Economics
Work experience: Internal Audit Intern (at my college), VITA assistant site manager, accountant (basically the controller) for a museum
Schools applied (applying to): NC State, Wake Forest, W&M
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend:
If I get KPMG to pay for my Masters, I will go to WFU. I will otherwise go to NC State. I will go to W&M if I get a full ride (they do not look at GMAT)

What are my chances of getting into UT? How much would I have to raise my GMAT?


nrdes234gs,

Since UT has the top Master of Accounting program (MPA) in the nation they typically require relatively high GMAT scores (usually above 650). However, you may be given some leniency due to your high GPA. I had a friend who scored a 630 and was admitted due to his high undergrad GPA. I am also applying to UT, Wake, and W&M but have yet to take the GMAT (currently studying my butt off). W&M is on my radar simply for the fact that it has a great program at a top-notch school & they waive the GMAT, which is definitely a rare combination. However, my top school is UVA by far.

Just curious, did KPMG inform you that they would pay for your masters? If not, how are you planning to approach them about it? I am in a similar situation with PwC but I have never heard of Big 4 firms paying for a MAcc degree.



JT12,

I read an article about KPMG covering the cost of the masters degree for a few top students, and I am going to meet with one of the managers of the campus recruiters next week. I am going to ask him about the educational reimbursement policy first, and then I will ask him about the scholarship program. Hopefully, he will provide me more information about what I need to do. I know that I would be stuck at KPMG for a few years, but I do not mind.

NC State has 12 fellowships that are basically the same thing; EY has some, and the students have to stay at EY for two years.

Why is UVA your top school by far? I do not know much about that program (I have been mainly focusing on NC schools).

NC State has great IT and ERM concentrations, but I think that I may end up going to Wake even if I have to pay full price because of the Financial Transaction Services track. I want to eventually work in Transaction Advisory for one of the Big 4 firms, and Wake may offer me a "short cut" around the traditional path.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Full-Time Undergrad seeking Master's of Accounting Degree
Joined: 23 Apr 2015
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Location: United States (TX)
Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 18:49
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nrdes234gs wrote:
JC12 wrote:
nrdes234gs wrote:
GMAT:570 (barely studied)
GPA:3.95
Undergrad major:Accounting and Economics
Work experience: Internal Audit Intern (at my college), VITA assistant site manager, accountant (basically the controller) for a museum
Schools applied (applying to): NC State, Wake Forest, W&M
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend:
If I get KPMG to pay for my Masters, I will go to WFU. I will otherwise go to NC State. I will go to W&M if I get a full ride (they do not look at GMAT)

What are my chances of getting into UT? How much would I have to raise my GMAT?


nrdes234gs,

Since UT has the top Master of Accounting program (MPA) in the nation they typically require relatively high GMAT scores (usually above 650). However, you may be given some leniency due to your high GPA. I had a friend who scored a 630 and was admitted due to his high undergrad GPA. I am also applying to UT, Wake, and W&M but have yet to take the GMAT (currently studying my butt off). W&M is on my radar simply for the fact that it has a great program at a top-notch school & they waive the GMAT, which is definitely a rare combination. However, my top school is UVA by far.

Just curious, did KPMG inform you that they would pay for your masters? If not, how are you planning to approach them about it? I am in a similar situation with PwC but I have never heard of Big 4 firms paying for a MAcc degree.



JT12,

I read an article about KPMG covering the cost of the masters degree for a few top students, and I am going to meet with one of the managers of the campus recruiters next week. I am going to ask him about the educational reimbursement policy first, and then I will ask him about the scholarship program. Hopefully, he will provide me more information about what I need to do. I know that I would be stuck at KPMG for a few years, but I do not mind.

NC State has 12 fellowships that are basically the same thing; EY has some, and the students have to stay at EY for two years.

Why is UVA your top school by far? I do not know much about that program (I have been mainly focusing on NC schools).

NC State has great IT and ERM concentrations, but I think that I may end up going to Wake even if I have to pay full price because of the Financial Transaction Services track. I want to eventually work in Transaction Advisory for one of the Big 4 firms, and Wake may offer me a "short cut" around the traditional path.


That would definitely be worth looking into if it pans out. I know PwC just started a program this year that helps recently hired associates pay off a portion of their student loans every year, but to have the total cost of the masters covered would be a huge relief.

I am not very familiar with NC State as I haven't researched much about the program, however I know that it is consistently ranked within the top 50 masters programs according to PAR (Public Accounting Report). I plan on applying to Wake if I am not accepted at my top three schools, since they have an excellent CPA exam pass rate. I also have read about the Financial Transaction Services track on Wake's website and it seemed pretty unique compared to other programs out there.

UVA is at the top of my list for many reasons. First, it's a public ivy league school, so the tuition is cheaper than the private schools on my list (Tulane, SMU, Vanderbilt, Wake). Second, it has an excellent accounting program, both undergrad and masters, with a small cohort (about 65 people each year). UVA also has one of the better Financial Reporting and Assurance tracks out there, which will benefit me within my career in the Financial Services sector of PwC's Assurance practice. Lastly, they do not place a heavy emphasis on the GMAT which I am a fan of considering I have yet to take the official exam.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 16:42
GMAT:700
GPA:3.61
Undergrad major:Finance
Work experience:Summer internships
Schools applied (applying to):USC,UMich,NYU,UNC, UCI
Schools accepted: USC, UM (my two top choices)
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend: hard to choose :x

Last edited by JessT477 on 24 Nov 2015, 11:17, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Full-Time Undergrad seeking Master's of Accounting Degree
Joined: 23 Apr 2015
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Location: United States (TX)
Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 18:31
JessT477 wrote:
GMAT:700
GPA:3.61
Undergrad major:Finance
Work experience:Summer internships
Schools applied (applying to):USC,UMich,NYU,UNC, UCI
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend:


JessT477,

Have you already applied to any of these schools? Also, which school/schools are at the top of your list?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2015
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 17:44
GMAT: 640 (36 V, 41 Q, 6 AWA, 7 IR)
GPA: 3.8
Undergrad major: Mathematics (small, un-ranked state university)
Work experience: 6 years part time retail, 2 years full time blue collar
Schools applied (applying to): Monmouth (MBA Acct), Rider (MS Acct), Rutgers at Newark (MBA in Prof Acct), Seton Hall (MS Acct), Drexel (MS Acct), Pace (MS Acct)
Schools accepted: Rider ($5400/yr scholarship + potential graduate assistantship with partial tuition waiver), Seton Hall ($0 scholarship), Pace ($6400/yr scholarship), Drexel ($0 scholarship), Rutgers at Newark ($0 scholarship), Monmouth ($8400/yr scholarship.)
Schools denied: N/A
Most likely to attend: Most likely Rider.

Last edited by circular on 06 Feb 2016, 13:17, edited 5 times in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2014
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Schools: Zicklin'18
2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 21:08
GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.6
Undergrad major: History
Work experience: Restaurant Management
Schools applied (applying to): Baruch (Accounting MBA), Pace (Accounting MBA), Northeastern (Ms Accounting/MBA), SUNY Albany (2 year MS), Suffolk University (MS Accounting)
Schools accepted: Baruch ($0), Suffolk (30K/year fellowship), Pace ($6400/yr scholarship)
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend: Still waiting to hear back from SUNY Albany before I make my decision, and hopefully I will hear soon. Suffolk offered me a fellowship, so I am definitely considering that.

Last edited by bschool42 on 16 Feb 2016, 13:41, edited 6 times in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2015
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 07:03
nrdes234gs wrote:
GMAT:570 (barely studied)
GPA:3.95
Undergrad major:Accounting and Economics
Work experience: Internal Audit Intern (at my college), VITA assistant site manager, accountant (basically the controller) for a museum
Schools applied (applying to): NC State, Wake Forest, W&M
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend:
If I get KPMG to pay for my Masters, I will go to WFU. I will otherwise go to NC State. I will go to W&M if I get a full ride (they do not look at GMAT)

What are my chances of getting into UT? How much would I have to raise my GMAT?


I am applying to State and WF, but I am also applying to UNC's online accounting program because I want to work too. Do you think that's unrealistic?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2015
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2015, 14:25
To those of you who received scholarships, how were you notified? I've been accepted to two schools so far, but the acceptance letters say nothing of scholarships. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some sort of a scholarship when I have a 3.8/640 and the class profile of each school is in the 3.4/550 range, especially when you consider that these programs are charging $1000/credit or more...

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 11:11
I had a call at first about my admission and scholarship. The official papers that get mailed later has the details.

Your school might be taking a longer time to evaluate and process the scholarships.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 20:42
GMAT: 700
GPA: 3.1
Undergrad major: Finance, Operations Management (grad. 2011)
Work experience: 4 years as an analyst at a private investment firm, 1 year as a part-time tax associate
Schools applied (applying to): USC and Cal State Fullerton for now
Schools accepted: n/a
Schools denied: n/a
Most likely to attend: depends on possible scholarship money

I'm applying to Masters in Taxation programs, but I've been told by admissions that the entrance requirements are similar (at least at USC). Cheers, and happy holidays!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2015, 12:12
Here is my profile:


B.A. Business Economics from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Major GPA: 3.43 (all hard cord quantitative courses, I got A- and above)
Upper division course: 3.63
Cumulative: 3.614
I got a D+ in one of my Tax class but retook with a solid A!
Related activities: Member of Beta Alpha Psi, Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (VITA)

A.A. Business Administration from Fullerton College (4.0/4.0)
Dean List + Awards + Multiple scholarships

GMAT: 720

I interned and studied at the same time when I transferred to UCLA. I got into a rotational internship program with Northwestern Mutual - a Fortune 500 company. I was in Investment/Finance/Operations positions and got full-time offer in the Operations department. (Total experiences: 2.5 years by Oct)

LORs: got 2 - professional. one from my COO and one from my Director of Operations. (knows me very well!)

Essay: focus on my passion & desire to study accounting: advisory & taxation. also have plans to pursue a PhD.

School: USC, UT Austin, BYU, W & Mary, Wake Forest,... maybe some more? please recommend

Thanks guys!! :D

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2016
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 11:19
..

Last edited by ohhmybosh on 13 Apr 2016, 07:35, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2016
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 22:51
Hi all!

Could really use some help!!

GMAT: 700
GPA: 3.76
Undergrad major: Biz Mgmt
Work experience: 5 years as an office manager in a small office
Schools applied (applying to): UT Austin, USC, UNC
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:
Most likely to attend: Unsure

These are my stats! And now for my question: I'd like to go to a top rated program in one of the warmer states (not up north) but the costs seem to be prohibitive. I cannot seem to get much information on how much aid is likely to be offered. So does anyone know what schools offer good aid packages and/or a cheaper? I'd be willing to consider a colder state or a slightly lower ranked (but still top bunch) program if I knew that it would be cheaper. Any ideas? Could really use some help!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Schools: Mason '17 (A)
Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 10:56
GMAT: Have not taken
GPA: 3.79 Overall; 4.0 Major
Undergrad major: Finance
Work experience: 6 Months Financial Analyst @ Community Bank in metro-Atlanta
Schools applied (applying to): W&M, Georgia State
Schools accepted:
Schools denied:

My undergraduate school is a small non-target school. Knowing that they do not require GMAT scores with an undergraduate GPA greater than 3.25, what are the chances of being accepted into W&M?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2014
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Schools: Zicklin'18
Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 15:56
circular wrote:
GMAT: 640 (36 V, 41 Q, 6 AWA, 7 IR)
GPA: 3.8
Undergrad major: Mathematics (small, un-ranked state university)
Work experience: 6 years part time retail, 2 years full time blue collar
Schools applied (applying to): Monmouth (MBA Acct), Rider (MS Acct), Rutgers at Newark (MBA in Prof Acct), Seton Hall (MS Acct), Drexel (MS Acct), Pace (MS Acct)
Schools accepted: Rider ($5400/yr scholarship), Seton Hall, Pace ($6400/yr scholarship), Drexel
Schools denied: N/A
Most likely to attend: Unsure but it looks like Seton Hall because it's possible to complete the program in 1-1.5 years vs 2 years for Rider, Pace, and Drexel.



How long from the time you submitted to the time Pace got back to you? I applied there as well and it seems to be taking forever to hear back.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2015
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 18:31
bschool42 wrote:
circular wrote:
GMAT: 640 (36 V, 41 Q, 6 AWA, 7 IR)
GPA: 3.8
Undergrad major: Mathematics (small, un-ranked state university)
Work experience: 6 years part time retail, 2 years full time blue collar
Schools applied (applying to): Monmouth (MBA Acct), Rider (MS Acct), Rutgers at Newark (MBA in Prof Acct), Seton Hall (MS Acct), Drexel (MS Acct), Pace (MS Acct)
Schools accepted: Rider ($5400/yr scholarship), Seton Hall, Pace ($6400/yr scholarship), Drexel
Schools denied: N/A
Most likely to attend: Unsure but it looks like Seton Hall because it's possible to complete the program in 1-1.5 years vs 2 years for Rider, Pace, and Drexel.



How long from the time you submitted to the time Pace got back to you? I applied there as well and it seems to be taking forever to hear back.


About 3 weeks between being notified that my application was complete and receiving the acceptance letter. Maybe I got lucky and my material was received right before the admissions committee met?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: 2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2016, 18:31

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 53 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

2016 Master of Accounting Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.