It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 18:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

10 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2015
Posts: 8
2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 10:59
10
This post received
KUDOS
109
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:43) correct 49% (03:12) wrong based on 2424 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task. Each volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly. Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later said they had acted fairly. But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

Which of the following is an assumption required by this argument?

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
13 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1269
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 14:28
13
This post received
KUDOS
13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
notwithstanding wrote:
In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task. Each volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly. Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later said they had acted fairly. But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

Which of the following is an assumption required by this argument?

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.


What if people who assign to themself easy task really think that this is fair? And what if another group really think that assigning easy task is unfair? In this case we can say that experiment was wrong because we pick wrong people in groups (selective bias). Therefore conclusion is wrong: people don't apply weaker moral standards to themselves.

But if people from first group were placed in second group and said that assigning easy task to themself is wrong, than conclusion is correct: people change moral standard according to situation.


(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
This answer gives us example in which people from first group change their mind according to situation.

(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
we don't need to decide what is most moral choice.

(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
We need to know about people who made assignment and not about who was assigned.

(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
This variant is tricky because it is easy weakener and we tend to pick it in case when we forget about question.
This is weakener because if first group was inaccurate then they didn't lye but just was inaccurate. So we can infer that first group do not apply weaker moral standards to themselves.

(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.
The main question how they named their actions later, not what they think before making of choice
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 May 2015
Posts: 101
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 17:06
3
This post received
KUDOS
I got the right answer (A) by eliminating the other ones, but this point below made me lose some seconds thiking...

"But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others."

"(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so."

This "at least some" makes it harder to sustain the argument in the passage, if they used "most" it would be more clear.
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2015
Posts: 17
Concentration: Human Resources, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 08-06-2015
GPA: 3.83
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Reviews Badge
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 04:01
6
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task. Each volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly. Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later said they had acted fairly. But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

Which of the following is an assumption required by this argument?

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.

The choice is between A and E:

E seems tricky so lets break it down
(At least) Some volunteers felt that they made the only fair choice available to them (given two choices: picking on their own and assigning or letting the computer assign)
Negate it:
None (of the volunteers) felt that they made the only fair choice available to them.
 None felt they made the fair choice between assigning and letting the computer assign the task
Does it tell anything about their moral?  whether they think they picked the easy task and gave the tough task to someone else? Not clearly.
So without negation:
At least say, 1-10 out of 100 volunteers feel that they made the only fair choice available to them  which is:
1. Choosing which to assign to whom  does it tell us whether they chose the easy one? Or the tough one? What is THEIR fair choice? Doesn’t tell anything about morality
2. Letting the computer choose  Weaker one who got? Tougher one who got? What do the volunteers feel about this? Does it portray their morality? No.

Option A:
Negate it:
None of the volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so  shows strong morality and no deviation. Means group 1 people when asked didnt reply as group 2 (weakens the conclusion)
Without negating it: Some, say 10 (it can be all 100 also) volunteers from group 1 (who participated in the experiment) switched their opinion when questioned on this and said, it would have been unfair to choose the easy task and give the hard task to someone else (but they themselves did it when they participated in the experiment)  Weaker moral standard for self and higher moral standard on others.
Closest to the right answer and hence OA - A
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 44
2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 11:25
Mascarfi wrote:
I got the right answer (A) by eliminating the other ones, but this point below made me lose some seconds thiking...

"But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others."

"(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so."

This "at least some" makes it harder to sustain the argument in the passage, if they used "most" it would be more clear.


thats what tripped me up. I thought at least some is not the same as most
Expert Post
16 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 241
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 22:02
16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task. Each volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly. Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later said they had acted fairly. But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

Which of the following is an assumption required by this argument?

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.

(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.

(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.

(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.

(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.


Type: Assumption
Boil It Down: Me: easy = fair, You: easy = unfair -> People apply weaker morals to self
Missing Information: Were there other factors?
Goal: Find the option that contains missing information required for this argument to work

Note: For efficiency on test day, we only need to apply The Opposite Test in Assumption Questions (to prove the option is required for the logic to work) on options that are in contention.

A) Absolutely! This argument REQUIRES the notion that at least some of the people who said they acted fairly in choosing the easy task, would have said it was unfair for other people to choose the easy task (and leave them with the harder task). Applying The Opposite Test (to prove that this option is required): No one who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so. The argument would be crushed, and thus this option is required.

B) The computer option is a side show not relevant to the argument at all. The part about the computer could have been left out entirely and the argument would remain exactly the same. We know why they added the computer dynamic to the question though: to be able to write a tempting distractor option like this.

C) Finding the hard task unfair is Out of Focus of the issue of whether choosing the easy task for yourself if fair. Therefore, this option is actually not something required for the argument to hold.

D) Accuracy of judgement is a non-factor since people believe they're accurate in their own judgments. Let's use the opposite test to prove that this option is not required: On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were NOT more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were. As you can see, when we take the opposite, the argument can still stand. Gone.

E) The argument doesn't require volunteers to believe that they made the ONLY fair choice. The people who chose the easy task for themselves could have also considered assigning the task to the computer fair as well.


Bigger GMAT Perspective: On questions that seem more complex, it can be worth it to invest an extra 10-30 seconds to REALLY have a firm command of the prompt. You'll not only be able to select the right option but you'll also be able to make that time back by more swiftly moving through the options. A question like this also proves that skimming is the kiss of death. NEVER skim anything on the GMAT.
_________________

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1199
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 02:46
In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task.
Each volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly.
Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later said they had acted fairly.
(at-least some chose the hard task) But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers,
almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair.
This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

Which of the following is an assumption required by this argument?

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.(Supports the concln that people have weaker morals))

(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
(There is no need for supportive assumption regarding moral choice and computer assigning tasks.)

(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
(as the persons in the first group were given a chance to select and the second group is explained scenario but may or may not be assigned. need no true)

(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
(I did find this relevant)

(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.
(Those who chose the easy task for themselves said that they made a fair choice)

tough question for me.
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 482
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 03:34
premise : most people chose easy task. so the point is that when it comes to their own they choose easy task, but when asked to other volunteer they say that it's not fair. but they will chose easy task if that comes to that.

Pre-thinking : We are assuming that they are same set of people. what if other volunteer they say that it's not fair--> they choose hard task instead of easy ones. In that case we cann't say that most people apply weaker standard to themselves than to others.


Anything that shows that says that most people dont apply weaker standard to themselves than to others.

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so. => negate that -> There were no volunteer --> who chose easy task --> but then also who said it is unfair to others.

if there are volunteers like that, then we can no longer say that most people apply weaker standard to themselves than to others.
20 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 642
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 06:24
20
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Answer is OPTION A

Visualise this scenario:- You are walking in a locality with lots of shops and restaurants and parks. You see a man being handcuffed and taken into custody by police. You ask a nearby bystander:- What is happening? He replies:- That man was stealing from the supermarket. You say :- What a bum? I can't tolerate thieves and robbers. They are scum of the world and should be punished by law. The bystanders says:- I agree 100% with you. Look at me, I am also very poor but I have never stolen a thing and as god is my witness, I will never ever be a thief, no matter how hard my life become.

15 days later you are again in the that place and then you see the bystander from the earlier meeting is being handcuffed and taken into custody for stealing. You are surprised and you remember his last words to you :-:Look at me, I am also very poor but I have never stolen a thing and as god is my witness, I will never steal ever, no matter how hard my life become."
You rush to him and asked him:- why ? why did you steal ? He replies :- I had no choice. My son is very ill and I had no money. I didn't steal money or cloth. I just stole some medicine for my son. This is not a crime because i was just trying to save my sons life

Now you see how people think the same standard does not apply to them for whatever x,y,z reasons.
THIS IS the comparision that brings out the main point of the argument:- People apply weak moral standards to themselves than to others.

To bring out this comparison what should happen ( what assumption is required ?) That the bystanders must have stolen something and then tried to defend his action.

What options says so:-
(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
(A) The bystander who said that he stole to save his sons life earlier said that stealing was wrong when police arrested someone else.

notwithstanding wrote:
In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task. Each volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly. Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later said they had acted fairly. But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

Which of the following is an assumption required by this argument?

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.

_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Status: Preparing for GMAT
Joined: 25 Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Location: India
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 08:06
In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task. Each
volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly. Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later
said they had acted fairly. But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that
most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

Which of the following is an assumption required by this argument?
(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made
the only fair choice available to them.

Can someone explain the right answer.

Do not forget to give kudos, in case u liked the question :)
_________________

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...


Last edited by Vyshak on 30 Oct 2016, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged. Refer to the above discussions
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 786
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 23:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Premise) : In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task
Premise: Each volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly.
Premise: Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later said they had acted fairly.
Premise: But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair

Conclusion: This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.
Understanding the conclusion is little tough here.
According to the conclusion, people chose easier task for themselves defining it as fair rather than letting others do it.

If we negate choice A, we get:
At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would NOT have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
If that is so then there are some volunteers who do not mind applying the weaker moral standards to others. Thus the conclusion falls apart. This choice damages the conclusion.

If we negate choice E:
At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them did not feel that they had made the only fair choice available to them.
This choice could be a competitor but the point that ‘only fair choice’ out of other fair choices does not really effects the conclusion.
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2017, 07:08
Please explain the underlying assumption along with the pre-thinking that needs to be done here along with the answer POE.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 05:00
kaustavdeb25 wrote:
Please explain the underlying assumption along with the pre-thinking that needs to be done here along with the answer POE.


The post below explains the question in detail:
2016-og-in-an-experiment-each-volunteer-was-allowed-to-choose-betwee-202764.html#p1556835

After reading this post, if you still have specifc queries, please post again.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Jun 2012
Posts: 65
GMAT Date: 11-01-2012
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 02:09
Narrowed it down to A and D but I thought D was correct ...Why is D really wrong..... i am getting stumped at 700+ level Qs ..where is the best collection of GMAT CR 700+ OG Questions...
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 04:23
What is the meaning of weaker moral standards ? I still have not understand the solution for this question.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Apr 2017
Posts: 24
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 10:50
sayantanc2k wrote:
kaustavdeb25 wrote:
Please explain the underlying assumption along with the pre-thinking that needs to be done here along with the answer POE.


The post below explains the question in detail:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2016-og-in-an ... l#p1556835

After reading this post, if you still have specifc queries, please post again.


Dear Expert,

I have a query regarding the choice A. The author assume that the first group will respond the same way as the second group, that is why the author reach a conclusion from and for the two groups. Since the word ''some'' is related with more than zero quantity, I have two escenarios:

1- "Some" people of the first group range from 1% to 50%, this escenario does not match with the author conclusion (''most people''), so this assumption is not true.
2- ''Some" people of the first group range from 51% to 100%, this escenario matches with the author conclusion (''most people''), so this assumption is true.

Then, when a choice is partially true the choice is not true, so choice A is not true.

Please let me know where my reasoning is wrong.

Regards,
Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1437
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 12:14
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Quote:
Dear Expert,

I have a query regarding the choice A. The author assume that the first group will respond the same way as the second group, that is why the author reach a conclusion from and for the two groups. Since the word ''some'' is related with more than zero quantity, I have two escenarios:

1- "Some" people of the first group range from 1% to 50%, this escenario does not match with the author conclusion (''most people''), so this assumption is not true.
2- ''Some" people of the first group range from 51% to 100%, this escenario matches with the author conclusion (''most people''), so this assumption is true.

Then, when a choice is partially true the choice is not true, so choice A is not true.

Please let me know where my reasoning is wrong.

Regards,

Ah, we need to distinguish between "required" (ie, necessary) and sufficient...
Quote:
1- "Some" people of the first group range from 1% to 50%, this escenario does not match with the author conclusion (''most people''), so this assumption is not true.

If most of the volunteers apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others, then at least some of the volunteers MUST apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others. You are right that statement A, by itself, is not sufficient to justify the conclusion, but it is certainly required. Since we are looking for an assumption that is required by the argument, the correct choice is definitely A.

For more on sufficient vs necessary, see this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-sufficient ... 50740.html
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7934
Location: Pune, India
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 20:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
notwithstanding wrote:
In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task. Each volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly. Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later said they had acted fairly. But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

Which of the following is an assumption required by this argument?

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.


Responding to a pm:

Premises:
Volunteer chose easy task for himself and allotted the harder to the other instead of random allotment. They said they had acted fairly.
A second group of volunteers declared their actions unfair.

Conclusion: This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

We are looking for an assumption i.e. a missing necessary premise.

The conclusion says that people apply weaker moral standards to themselves but stricter to others.

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
Correct. We know that the first set of people said they had acted fairly while the second set had said that they had acted unfairly. But we are concluding that people apply different moral standards to themselves vs others. So we are assuming that the first set would have called the decision unfair for others and that the second would have called the decision fair for themselves. We are assuming that these are not just two sets of very different people who have different moral standards. For example, if the two sets of people belonged to two different communities in which moral standards were different, then our conclusion would fail. We are assuming that if the first set volunteers were in the shoes of the second set, they would behave similarly as did the second set.

(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
We are not asked to judge what is moral what is not. We are only asked to compare the moral standards people assign to themselves vs to others.

(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
Whether anyone was actually assigned the hard task, we don't know. It doesn't matter.

(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
Again, we are not asked to judge what is moral what is not. We are only asked to compare the moral standards people assign to themselves vs to others.

(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.
We don't know whether they believe it was the only fair choice. All we know is that they said it was fair. We don't need to assume that they believed it was the only fair choice.

Answer (A)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 627
Location: India
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 20:16
notwithstanding wrote:
In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose between an easy task and a hard task and was told that another volunteer would do the other task. Each volunteer could also choose to have a computer assign the two tasks randomly. Most volunteers chose the easy task for themselves and under questioning later said they had acted fairly. But when the scenario was described to another group of volunteers, almost all said choosing the easy task would be unfair. This shows that most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

Which of the following is an assumption required by this argument?

(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
(B) The most moral choice for the volunteers would have been to have the computer assign the two tasks randomly.
(C) There were at least some volunteers who were assigned to do the hard task and felt that the assignment was unfair.
(D) On average, the volunteers to whom the scenario was described were more accurate in their moral judgments than the other volunteers were.
(E) At least some volunteers given the choice between assigning the tasks themselves and having the computer assign them felt that they had made the only fair choice available to them.

The argument is most people apply weaker moral standards to themselves than to others.

In other words, in this case, most people who chose an easy task would say they acted fairly.

OA is A. This is a good question because according to choice A, at least some of the same volunteers would have said that it would have been unfair if others had chosen the easy task. Thus choice A makes the argument complete.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Premium Material
Standardized Approaches

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 208
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 02:13
LogicGuru1 wrote:
Answer is OPTION A

Visualise this scenario:- You are walking in a locality with lots of shops and restaurants and parks. You see a man being handcuffed and taken into custody by police. You ask a nearby bystander:- What is happening? He replies:- That man was stealing from the supermarket. You say :- What a bum? I can't tolerate thieves and robbers. They are scum of the world and should be punished by law. The bystanders says:- I agree 100% with you. Look at me, I am also very poor but I have never stolen a thing and as god is my witness, I will never ever be a thief, no matter how hard my life become.

15 days later you are again in the that place and then you see the bystander from the earlier meeting is being handcuffed and taken into custody for stealing. You are surprised and you remember his last words to you :-:Look at me, I am also very poor but I have never stolen a thing and as god is my witness, I will never steal ever, no matter how hard my life become."
You rush to him and asked him:- why ? why did you steal ? He replies :- I had no choice. My son is very ill and I had no money. I didn't steal money or cloth. I just stole some medicine for my son. This is not a crime because i was just trying to save my sons life

[color=#1a7b30]Now you see how people think the same standard does not apply to them for whatever x,y,z reasons.
THIS IS the comparision that brings out the main point of the argument:- People apply weak moral standards to themselves than to others.

To bring out this comparison what should happen ( what assumption is required ?) That the bystanders must have stolen something and then tried to defend his action.

What options says so:-
(A) At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.
(A) The bystander who said that he stole to save his sons life earlier said that stealing was wrong when police arrested someone else.



Hi LogicGuru1,
I like your approach, it is easier to understand.
I hope I can work out CR like you,
would you please share something ?

thanks a lot
Have a nice day
>_~
Re: 2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2018, 02:13

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

2016 OG: In an experiment, each volunteer was allowed to choose betwee

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.