GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

2nd Mock re-take (740 Q50 V40) - Real re-take in a week

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
2nd Mock re-take (740 Q50 V40) - Real re-take in a week  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 13:25
Hi everyone,

I haven't post for a while, so just want to provide everyone a status since my first GMAT take (670 Q47 V35) back in July.

I have my GMAT re-take coming up on Dec. 29th, and have been following the Magoosh's Advanced Plan loosely for 1-2 months now.

It seems the effort has paid off - I re-took the 2nd mock just now and got 740 Q50 V40 :-D . My first 2nd mock take (660 Q44 V36) was back in July, so hopefully half a year is enough separation of time to keep this re-take "clean". I know this probably has been asked many times already, but just how seriously can I treat the results of a mock re-take? After all, I don't want to instill myself with a false sense of security and confidence.

Fortunately, I am currently on break all the way up to exam date, so I can in theory squeeze in another 50 hours concentrated study if needed be - Will appreciate any feedback as to whether that's productive (or counter-productive) at this point of the game.

Thanks all!

Kuja
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: 2nd Mock re-take (740 Q50 V40) - Real re-take in a week  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 21:10
kuja wrote:
Hi everyone,

I haven't post for a while, so just want to provide everyone a status since my first GMAT take (670 Q47 V35) back in July.

I have my GMAT re-take coming up on Dec. 29th, and have been following the Magoosh's Advanced Plan loosely for 1-2 months now.

It seems the effort has paid off - I re-took the 2nd mock just now and got 740 Q50 V40 :-D . My first 2nd mock take (660 Q44 V36) was back in July, so hopefully half a year is enough separation of time to keep this re-take "clean". I know this probably has been asked many times already, but just how seriously can I treat the results of a mock re-take? After all, I don't want to instill myself with a false sense of security and confidence.

Fortunately, I am currently on break all the way up to exam date, so I can in theory squeeze in another 50 hours concentrated study if needed be - Will appreciate any feedback as to whether that's productive (or counter-productive) at this point of the game.

Thanks all!

Kuja
I wouldn't view a retake as being very reliable. That said, you have a very good score on the actual GMAT, so a 740 looks very "real".

Why don't you get some of the paid GMATPrep tests?
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 20:05
AjiteshArun wrote:
kuja wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks all!

Kuja
I wouldn't view a retake as being very reliable. That said, you have a very good score on the actual GMAT, so a 740 looks very "real".

Why don't you get some of the paid GMATPrep tests?

I read that doing more mock exams doesn't actually help you get better, and every time I did one it's quite a traumatizing experience - I would get a massive headache afterwards and lose the rest of day (and sometimes the following day too), so it's just not worth losing valuable studying time for. Also, I would have preferred not knowing what the predicted score is, since a big swing in either directions creates unnecessary emotions - The reason why I re-took the 2nd mock at all was to rehearse for the real thing, and I would have chose not to see the score if that was a choice.

Also now that I spent last few days thinking about whether that 740 is real or not, I came to conclude that there's really nothing I can do at this point, so I might as well go in thinking I am that level. :cool:
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 20:15
kuja wrote:
I read that doing more mock exams doesn't actually help you get better, and every time I did one it's quite a traumatizing experience - I would get a massive headache afterwards and lose the rest of day (and sometimes the following day too), so it's just not worth losing valuable studying time for. Also, I would have preferred not knowing what the predicted score is, since a big swing in either directions creates unnecessary emotions - The reason why I re-took the 2nd mock at all was to rehearse for the real thing, and I would have chose not to see the score if that was a choice.

Also now that I spent last few days thinking about whether that 740 is real or not, I came to conclude that there's really nothing I can do at this point, so I might as well go in thinking I am that level. :cool:
Taking more tests can absolutely help. In what ways and how much and whether the time you spend on more tests is the best use of your time... those are hard to predict.

Have you considered discussing these headaches with a doctor? Also, all the best for the retake!
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 05:48
Hi Kuja,

Although I’m not sure what you have been up to for the last few days, since your GMAT is in just 3 days, you should actually start to dial down your prep. If anything, do some light studying, such as doing focused practice and reviewing flash cards/notes from past topics to ensure that knowledge has not slipped through the cracks.

Additionally, try to keep busy with activities other than GMAT prep: go out to dinner, go to the movies, binge-watch netflix, go for a run… Do whatever you have to so you don’t spend the days leading up to your exam worrying about how things will go. If you take this time to do fun, relaxing things, come test day, you can walk into your GMAT with a fresh head and kick the pants off the test.

You also may find it helpful to read this article that provides some advice on how to treat the final week leading up to your exam as well as some test-day tips.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 18:10
AjiteshArun wrote:
kuja wrote:

Taking more tests can absolutely help. In what ways and how much and whether the time you spend on more tests is the best use of your time... those are hard to predict.

Have you considered discussing these headaches with a doctor? Also, all the best for the retake!

Thanks!! And sorry that I did not reply. The re-take fortunately went well for me, I made a post about it just now and will share more tomorrow - https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-re-take ... 85355.html
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 18:16
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Kuja,

Although I’m not sure what you have been up to for the last few days, since your GMAT is in just 3 days, you should actually start to dial down your prep. If anything, do some light studying, such as doing focused practice and reviewing flash cards/notes from past topics to ensure that knowledge has not slipped through the cracks.

Additionally, try to keep busy with activities other than GMAT prep: go out to dinner, go to the movies, binge-watch netflix, go for a run… Do whatever you have to so you don’t spend the days leading up to your exam worrying about how things will go. If you take this time to do fun, relaxing things, come test day, you can walk into your GMAT with a fresh head and kick the pants off the test.

You also may find it helpful to read this article that provides some advice on how to treat the final week leading up to your exam as well as some test-day tips.

Thank you for sharing these advice, Scott. I did in fact read them before and use them to set up my last week's plan. I also made a post about my re-take today per link in my reply above. :)
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 08:59
kuja wrote:
Thanks!! And sorry that I did not reply. The re-take fortunately went well for me, I made a post about it just now and will share more tomorrow - https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-re-take ... 85355.html
That's +50 points :)

All the best for your applications!
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 10:04
I studied till 1AM on test day ... got up at 7:30 ,and review writing

On the real test (10:30) , I was totally stressed out

Wish I had seen your reply earlier

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Kuja,

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 19:07
Great job. A 720 is awesome!! Good luck with your applications!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 2nd Mock re-take (740 Q50 V40) - Real re-take in a week   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2018, 19:07

2nd Mock re-take (740 Q50 V40) - Real re-take in a week

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep