GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

3 attempts, can't escape the 650 & big fluctuation in Verbal & Quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
3 attempts, can't escape the 650 & big fluctuation in Verbal & Quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 21:29
Hi e-GMAT,

I'm one of your customers. I bought your Verbal package in January 2019 after my 2nd attempt, scoring 640. And now I'm thinking of upgrading to Quant in preparation for my immediate next attempt.

My story is I first attempted GMAT in June 2016 after taking a GMAT course in Vietnam, and I scored 650 (Q44, V36).

From 2016 to 2018, I quit my corporate job and established my own localization business and studied for GMAT inconsistently. When my business picked up, i.e. having more clients and projects, I sometimes didn't study for months. But when I did study, I did a lot of Quant questions from the 2018 OG books.

In January 2019, I sit in for the second attempt, I was surprised on the test date that Quant and Verbal sections had been changed with shorter time and less questions. I was studying mostly through GMAT Prep and OG books. I scored 640 (Q47, V31). I only answer 29/31 questions so the Q47 actually didn't reflect my real ability.

Seeing my Verbal go down, I studied consistently with e-GMAT verbal and scored 87 percentile on its Verbal ability test and 720 overall score with GMAT Prep test #5.

Yesterday, March 18, 2019, I sit in for my third attempt and got 650 (Q44, V36) again. I bought the ESR for my yesterday test, I scored V44 on reading comprehension, which is really great and I'm thankful to e-GMAT but my CR went down significantly. Since the beginning of my GMAT journey, my CR has always been the driving force of my Verbal score. Now seeing it this low, I'm quite sad.

My explanation is that (1) I tend to focus more on either Verbal or Quant after each of my attempt, hence significant increase in my previous weaknesses but significant decrease in my strengths and (2) My nerves on test day might affect my performance.

I'd be grateful if you can take a look at my case and share your thoughts on what I should do next. Because after all, I know I have it in me to make it over 700 but somehow on test day, I haven't succeeded.

Thank you so much,
Thao
CAT Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
3 attempts, can't escape the 650 & big fluctuation in Verbal & Quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 11:19
thaotran90 wrote:
Hi e-GMAT,

I'm one of your customers. I bought your Verbal package in January 2019 after my 2nd attempt, scoring 640. And now I'm thinking of upgrading to Quant in preparation for my immediate next attempt.

My story is I first attempted GMAT in June 2016 after taking a GMAT course in Vietnam, and I scored 650 (Q44, V36).

From 2016 to 2018, I quit my corporate job and established my own localization business and studied for GMAT inconsistently. When my business picked up, i.e. having more clients and projects, I sometimes didn't study for months. But when I did study, I did a lot of Quant questions from the 2018 OG books.

In January 2019, I sit in for the second attempt, I was surprised on the test date that Quant and Verbal sections had been changed with shorter time and less questions. I was studying mostly through GMAT Prep and OG books. I scored 640 (Q47, V31). I only answer 29/31 questions so the Q47 actually didn't reflect my real ability.

Seeing my Verbal go down, I studied consistently with e-GMAT verbal and scored 87 percentile on its Verbal ability test and 720 overall score with GMAT Prep test #5.

Yesterday, March 18, 2019, I sit in for my third attempt and got 650 (Q44, V36) again. I bought the ESR for my yesterday test, I scored V44 on reading comprehension, which is really great and I'm thankful to e-GMAT but my CR went down significantly. Since the beginning of my GMAT journey, my CR has always been the driving force of my Verbal score. Now seeing it this low, I'm quite sad.

My explanation is that (1) I tend to focus more on either Verbal or Quant after each of my attempt, hence significant increase in my previous weaknesses but significant decrease in my strengths and (2) My nerves on test day might affect my performance.

I'd be grateful if you can take a look at my case and share your thoughts on what I should do next. Because after all, I know I have it in me to make it over 700 but somehow on test day, I haven't succeeded.

Thank you so much,
Thao

Hi there!

650 is a good score but Iam certain that you can improve it by investing your time and money to other study materialsl. I would recommend TTP for quants and Powerscore Bible for CR.

Best wishes!
Director
Director
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: 3 attempts, can't escape the 650 & big fluctuation in Verbal & Quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 10:41
thaotran90 wrote:
Hi e-GMAT,

Thank you so much,
Thao

Your score 650 itself a good score. However, you are expecting better score. You have a good opprtunity to improve in quant. Try the trail version of Target Test Prep for quant.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: CBS '21, Yale '21, INSEAD
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: 3 attempts, can't escape the 650 & big fluctuation in Verbal & Quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 04:23
thaotran90 wrote:
Hi e-GMAT,

Thank you so much,
Thao

Well, I think these two courses - Target Test Prep for Quant and e-GMAT for Verbal are very very good courses to begin your journey and to understand the concepts in detail. But once you are done with these two it's better to focus only on the OG questions.

So let's say in the last 2-3 weeks only do OG questions and only give official MBA mock tests. Buy the extra tests if you have to but stick to the official guides.

Hope this helps!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 3 attempts, can't escape the 650 & big fluctuation in Verbal & Quant   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2019, 04:23

3 attempts, can't escape the 650 & big fluctuation in Verbal & Quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: egmat