Last visit was: 16 Jul 2024, 11:59 It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 11:59
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [29]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14758 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31301 [2]
Given Kudos: 641
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: $3200 & 1year to break the 690 glass ceiling -pls learn on my mistakes [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Let me tell you my story; the only reason I write it is because hopefully you can learn from my mistakes and study more efficient and smart than I did.

ib1703 - this is some story. Most people write about what they did and how it helped them ace the GMAT. Very few people write about the mistakes they made, and fewer still do in such detail. Thank you for doing that. I have highlighted some important points from your debrief.

Quote:
Building such a "sense" for mistake is important, but for me was crucial to know exactly why 4 choices are incorrect. Does all this make sense

I like how you have said that it was crucial for you to know. You are not being that know it all.

Quote:
Back then, I had Idioms lists all over my house, and I was trying to remember some 200+ of the idioms. Now I understand how useless and waste of energy it is.

I am surprised that people still do this. We have been advocating against memorizing idiom lists and I thought idioms on the GMAT were put to rest in 2011 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/?href=-and- ... 92022.html

Quote:
So after 300+hours pure study at eGMAT course, I went to my next tests, and got... 690 again.
December 2020: 690 V35 Q49

I and the entire e-GMAT team is glad that you did not give up. This is a key quality that will take you places.

Quote:
Any past successes like CFA or other stuff felt like a lucky episode which fooled me into thinking positively about my intellectual ability.

No one should compare the CFA to the GMAT. The CFA is a qualification test – you score above a threshold and you are golden. This is why you have to pass the CFA exam. The GMAT is a race. You have to ace the GMAT (and not just pass). Very different tests!!

Quote:
Actually, reason I was so slow to reply DJ is because he said "do error log and after get back to me". But lol, am I silly to do error log? That is for people who can not connect 3 words in a sentence, was my thought, so I sabotaged it as much as possible. Finally, I decided to do it, and that was the best decision in my whole 500+hours of preparation.

Again, thank you for this honesty. This will motivate many people to take their error logs seriously.

Quote:
eGMAT also have a "Mistake classification" system which looks complex, but actually very useful - it allows you to see where you made mistake - in meaning, in rules, by rushing, etc. I tried to implement this system both for SC and CR - please check it out.

Thank you again for believing in this. I agree that this system is complex but classifying just five questions using this system is like doing an MRI. It exposes all the faults. BTW – Payal and Abhi are now working on the third generation of this system.

Quote:
DJ recommended to revise some CR topics in eGMAT course, do Error Log for CR. Also, he introduced pretty straightforward, but very useful and easy to follow Quant improvement technique: I purchased GmatClub quant tests, and did 2; I found my weak areas. They coincided with eGMAT Scholaranium weak areas for quant from my exhausted scholaranium.

I am glad that DJ thought on his feet. I owe him a drink. Thank you for mentioning this.

Once again, I am sorry that your journey was long, expensive, and ardous. However, I am sure that this GMAT score will serve at least a 50X ROI. Take some time to read this article when you get a chance!

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/mba-admissions ... pplicants/

-Rajat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GRE 1: Q169 V160
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
Re: $3200 & 1year to break the 690 glass ceiling -pls learn on my mistakes [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey!

Loved the debrief. Congratulations on a great score and best of luck to you!

Also, what were the last 5 mock scores (along with their sources) you got before the actual GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
swim2109 wrote:
what were the last 5 mock scores (along with their sources) you got before the actual GMAT?

Hi, thank you.
I was very cautious on mocks, because they require a lot of time (2hour to do, ~2hour to review), but does not allow you to see your exact weaknesses.
All the unofficial tests are not fully reliable; Official mocks are famous for being unrealistically easy on Quant - so can be used only for Verbal ability check.

My mocks were:
eGMAT mocks -->
710, 630, 690, 660, 730
pretty representative of my ability; Q never went higher than Q49.

Gmat official mocks -->
720 q48 v42
690 q49 v35
740 q51 v38
760 q50 v41
After that, I took real GMAT and got:
720 q49 v38
Which confirmed my thought that one should not count on any mocks.

For my final 740 attempt, I only focus on specific weak areas and targeted these areas in my prep and practice.
I checked my ability taking:
Quant: GmatClub Quant tests or just 31Questions quiz, Medium+Hard, timed, deep review after each test.
Verbal: OG Scholaranium in eGMAT, Medium+Hard, timed, deep review of each incorrect/took longer.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64509 [1]
Given Kudos: 1822
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations on the amazing score, and thank you for the shout-out! Also, your debrief wins the award for GMAT Club's all-time best use of tigers. ;)

Congratulations again, and let us know where you land for grad school!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
This is so well written and true too. Egmat people are really helpful through mails. I am using Egmat right now and I try to mail Egmat team weekly about my progress (or why not so much progress) and they help really well.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31301 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
piyushluniya - thank you for the kind words. Your quant seems to be right there. Let us get that Verbal score up there too. Which sub-section are you currently working on?

-Rajat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
egmat wrote:
piyushluniya - thank you for the kind words. Your quant seems to be right there. Let us get that Verbal score up there too. Which sub-section are you currently working on?

-Rajat

Thank you Rajat (@Egmat) for the response.
I have finished going through the concept files and all reading modules for CR, SC and RC.
I am currently practicing the questions from Scholoranium.

I had mailed my status and issues i am facing in verbal to the Egmat team some days days back.
I got a reply from Kanupriya yesterday regarding the same.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37817 posts