Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4555 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 380 to 680 for non-native English speaker [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi nathalier,

Many Test Takers are unhappy with their initial practice scores, but you really shouldn't be. It's just a measure of your skills right now - and you'll be working over the next several months to learn the necessary content and Tactics to score higher. That having been said, raising a 380 to a 680+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this practice CAT Test?
2) Did you finish each section? Did you have to rush through any questions just to finish (or leave any questions unanswered?)? If so, then how many in each section?
3) If you're already a full-time student, then how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you a lot Chris, Akela and Rich for the tips, the link and the positive energy! It does not only help me, but is also giving me hope! :-D

Rich: Regarding the questions, please see below.

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this practice CAT Test?
Quant scores were 17 and Verbal 20 (however, I did not find the Quant very hard - just need some refreshing of the basics as well as learning the English math terms, as I only know them in Swedish, which made it hard during the CAT as I fully did not understand the Quant questions).

2) Did you finish each section? Did you have to rush through any questions just to finish (or leave any questions unanswered?)? If so, then how many in each section?
I finished each section, but rushed both on the Verbal and the Quant. On the Verbal I skipped one Reading Comprehension (and 3 questions related to that text) and simply just chose a random answer, as well as I rushed through about 4 more questions. On the Quant I rushed through the whole test, which clearly damaged my result.

3) If you're already a full-time student, then how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
I think I would be able to study GMAT about 4 hours a day on average (2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening, some days less some days more). Maybe 2 more hours on weekends. So about 28-32 hours a week on average I believe would be manageable for me.

Thanks once again!

/Nathalie
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nathalier,

With a planned Test Date in November, you have over 3 months of potential study time - which is good. Studying 30 hours a week - in addition to your other studies - will be a LOT of study though, so you will have to pay attention to how you are feeling over the next several months. We don't want you to 'burn out' from all of this studying and gain little from all of the work that you'll be doing.

Since you have plenty of time available, you can proceed with your studies however you choose. That having been said, you will want to be efficient about learning all of the patterns, tactics and 'secrets' of the GMAT (without having to try to figure out all of that stuff on your own). As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot