Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:46 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64944 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.01
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64944 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: 4 MISTAKES - yet only quant 59th percentile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
RadhikaAGG wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
valebecuewbc wrote:
Hi there, 

I wrote my GMAT focus exam yersterday. I made only 4 mistakes on the quant section yet only received a 59th percentile score for quant

I know missing easy questions can really drag you down (not sure if I have). Even if I did miss easy ones, 59th percentile seams really odd with only 4 mistakes. Also finished the entire section, so no penalties for leaving out questions. 

Anyone with similar experiences? 

(Screenshots attached below)­

­
I have known people to have only 2 mistakes and still get Q83 so this isn't very surprising. That said, some could make 4 mistakes and still have a score above 80. FE is a bit less forgiving in Quant since FE Quant is easier than Classic Quant (mostly due to re-categorization of DS into DI).  
­

­Hello Karishma. Is there a specific reason for why the two scenarios quoted by you could be possible? Why can one make the same number of mistakes but end up receiving a different score than the other test taker with equal number of mistakes?

FE is adaptive too, just like Classic. Hence factors other than accuracy such as difficulty level of the questions answered correctly/incorrectly etc play a part in the overall score too.
Hence, accuracy alone cannot define the score.

For now, my advice would be to focus on concepts and aim to solve each question within 2 mins.
If we knew little about the actual GMAT Algorithm, we know even less about the FE Algo.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Quote:
Why can one make the same number of mistakes but end up receiving a different score than the other test taker with equal number of mistakes?

From the Understanding Your Score page on the MBA website:

The Quantitative Reasoning score is based on three factors: 1) the number of questions answered, 2) whether the answers are correct or incorrect, and 3) the difficulty and other parameters of the questions answered.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 856 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Expert Reply

valebecuewbc wrote:
Hi there, 

I wrote my GMAT focus exam yersterday. I made only 4 mistakes on the quant section yet only received a 59th percentile score for quant

I know missing easy questions can really drag you down (not sure if I have). Even if I did miss easy ones, 59th percentile seams really odd with only 4 mistakes. Also finished the entire section, so no penalties for leaving out questions. 

Anyone with similar experiences? 

(Screenshots attached below)­

­

valebecuewbc I understand your frustration. ­I've seen many similar stories, including a Q78 with 3 mistakes. The score depends a lot on the difficulty of the questions it gives you, and any mistakes on easier questions hurt your score more than mistakes on harder questions.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the GMAT is section-adaptive, so if you do well on earlier sections, the later section will start off with harder questions. As a result, we have seen a 765 score where he got a DI 89 despite 3 mistakes, but it was his final section and he scored 88 and 87 on the other 2 sections.
GMAT Club Bot