Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: 480 GMAT.. Chances? [#permalink]
Maintain an error log and look out for all you error .
You can also refer to GMAt club error log to help you check your progress
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi MarketerReese,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so after just 6 weeks of study, you should not expect to have 'mastered' any of the concepts just yet. That having been said, a 430 and 480 are fairly similar results (and the difference in those Scores might have been due to some lucky/unlucky guesses and/or silly mistakes that you either made or did not make). This is meant to say that you might be 'responding' to the GMAT in the same general ways - and "your way" might be keeping you from scoring higher. Statistically-speaking raising a 480 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. With just 6 weeks of additional study though, there will likely be a limit to how much you might improve.

Since you're interested in some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement.

There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
MarketerReese wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm in need some of some advice here. I am a Howard University graduate with a bachelors degree in Media + Marketing. I graduated with a 3.89 GPA, have excellent recommendations and am a confident standardized exam taker but am struggling to crack the GMAT particularly the Quant section.

I've been studying with the Magoosh 3 Month study plan and product and also have been using the GMAT Official Guide 2020. I'm 6 weeks into studying and will be taking the online GMAT in exactly 6 weeks from today. First diagnostic practice test, I scored a 430. I took my second practice test today and scored a 480. I'm feeling really disappointed because halfway through the course and my score barely increased.

My top choice is London Business School followed by Yale School of Management. I'm wondering if it's worth working with a tutor vs continuing with the Magoosh prep. Ideally, I'd love a score of 700+ and am ok with it not happening on my first try (although that would be ideal).

Thanks for your help/advice!

Hello MarketerReese,

When you start your prep from scratch it's also important to keep analyzing your mistakes. A prep course can steer you in the right direction - especially with the online courses it's also how much of it have you absorbed and what techniques work for you.

As you have clearly mentioned quant is one area of concern - can you zoom into which part of quant is your pain point? When you are solving question where are you stuck?

Sometimes during practice, it's always the confusion between the last two answer choices and invariably you always choose the incorrect one. In such cases, you need to get a better understanding of the concept and pick one more reason to eliminate the last answer choice.

My suggestion would be to spend some time analyzing your diagnostic test. Taking any other course might help, however, it's equally important to know where you are going wrong.

Hope this helps,
Shree
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22046 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MarketerReese,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Since you have been studying for 6 weeks and have not seen much improvement, perhaps look at HOW you have been studying and potentially make some changes right? More specifically, make sure that you are following a linear and structured study plan that allows you to learn each GMAT quant and verbal topic individually and then practice each topic until you’ve achieved mastery. Certainly, if you want more specific advice on how to improve your quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach out. Also, you may find it helpful to read the following articles:

The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT

How to Learn More, Learn Faster, and Retain More Knowledge While Preparing for the GMAT
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts