Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: (S)
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V25
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Ivey (A$)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Ivey (A$)
Send PM
Re: 480 to 390.. HELP! [#permalink]
Kudos
Okay, I’m not an expert myself and others here might be able to help you better but just jotting down a few pointers which might help you.
1) Give more mock tests and analyze them thoroughly to see where you’re going wrong so you can avoid repeating the same mistakes. Official GMAC mocks are a little easier than the actual tests. At least give 3 more mocks from various free ones available like MGMAT, etc.
2) Spend more time on analyzing your mistakes than solving more questions i.e. focus on quality of learning rather than quantity. I’m assuming you have thus far focussed on quantity given the fact that you completed the GMAT OG, 4 week course and plus studied for 9 hours, all within 2 months. Ignore this suggestion, if that’s not the case.
3) For getting a good score verbal is equally if not more important, so don’t ignore it. There are quick learning videos available on Youtube which can help you to just get the basics right and also give you quick tips and tricks such as the ones from PerfectScores.
4) For quant, if you had more time I would have suggested to learn the fundamentals instead of trying to always remember the formulae/shortcuts. But considering you have a month, try to develop number sense and go through the list of important formulae every day. Additionally, focus more on your weaker areas. For example if you don’t do well in DS questions, try and solve them more while learning about DS strategies.

Good Luck!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Consider checking out gmatninja and Thursdays with Ron
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi dortinator1234923,

I'm sorry to hear that this 2nd attempt did not go as well as planned. From what you describe, you were not aware about how the 'format' of the At-home GMAT does not give you a break between the Quant and Verbal sections. However, we have to be careful about assuming that that was the only reason why your Scores dropped (since that would NOT have impacted your performance in the Quant section - and you scored notably lower in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections). When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Based on the information in your posts, you have been studying for almost 3 months. Were you studying 9 hours a day for that entire time?
2) Did you take just those 2 CATs/mocks over the last 3 months? On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to and what specific application deadlines are you facing?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi dortinator1234923,

I see you signed up for the trial to TTP. Are you still using the course?
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dortinator1234923 wrote:
Hi guys,

My first attempt was at the 16h of November, where I scored a 480 (Q32,V25). I reviewed my weaker parts, timed every question, improved time management, kept an error log and studied everyday for at least 9 hours. Now past monday I scored an awfull 390 online (Q25, V20...!).
I know my Verbal score dropped dramatically because I did not know there is no break during the online version, so I was exhausted when starting the verbal section. Quant score, however, does not make sense to me. I followed a quant trial of @targettestprep and learned several new things/became more skilled, so I would have expected my Quant score to at least rise, clearly this was not the fact. Now I am kind of lost and I don't really know what to do anymore with respect to Quant.
Hopefully, one of you guys has any tips with regards to studying/preparing, would help this lost/depressed Gmat-attempter a lot!!
Thank you in advance!!

1) How long did you study initially before your first attempt? Did you complete GMAT OG?
I have studied for 2 months, including a 4-week course on Quant and Verbal (but realized that this course was lacking a lot of essential information).
I did complete the GMAT OG.

2) Are you able to complete the test on time, being able to answer most of the questions?
Usually have to guess two or three question on both verbal and quant. I noticed that I get to enthusiastic on the first questions, but now I have managed to minimize that as much as possible.

3) Have you given sufficient mock tests? What were the results?
I have taken the two official mock test, at which I scored 540 and 560.

4) What is your target score?
My target score is 550, which I need before Mid-January.

Hi dortinator1234923,

I see that you are not doing the GMAT prep in the right way. GMAT is a test with focuses on application of concepts. So, your focus while preparing for GMAT has to be not only on the concepts but also on the methodologies.

The path ahead:

The first step in the process of improvement is to identify what went wrong. I don't think you need an ESR in this case as you have to start your prep from the scratch. I suggest that we get in touch over a call, have a detailed discussion and quickly make a study plan for the coming weeks. As you have to be done with your GMAT by mid-January, you need to follow a strict study plan with clear deadlines.

So, knowing a little more information will help me guide you in a better way. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16595 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello dortinator1234923,

Don't give up. You can surely do better.

GMAT club is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, and many more.

You are recommended to visit various posts and utilize this forum in the best efficient way.

Your score is shaky. I fully understand your frustration. You were not probably on the right track or wrong direction in your study plans.

You can schedule a Free counseling session for 20 mins with one of our experts:https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session for detailed advice on your current study plans.

A score of 390 is far indeed from the target score of 550. So, it is all about raising 160 pointers. We will like to recommend specific vital points which will be helpful. The score tells that neither the Math nor the Verbal is above average. Hence, both sections have to be taken care of simultaneously. To improve, you will require consistent learning and practice. Also, keep motivation high to learn.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club, which gives a complete Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html#p1641411

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve a score of 550. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

After visiting the post, now is the time to start with the basics. To strengthen the basic concept on various topics like arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and word problems, you may refer to many free materials available in GMAT Club. Our website also helps strengthen the necessary skills of math”.

Solve as many questions as you can relate to different topics, and it is recommended that you try to connect with many proven experts. You can visit Math Revolution and get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons

While concept learning, try solving 600 level questions by topic and be habitual of creating the error log. Prepare the list of all the doubts you face during solving and practicing questions. This practice will help you assess the topics in which you need more time to prepare. After solving as many questions as possible, take the 1st mock test and assess your performance. You may try our free diagnostic test once. Let some experts evaluate it to make you understand it better.

The entire mock test should be completed in a disciplinary manner. Since this is a bit long journey, 1-on -1 tutoring can also be helpful to shorten the study period if your study budget is affordable.

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.
If we can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!
Punit Joshi
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everybody, managed to get a 580!
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
dortinator1234923 wrote:
Thanks everybody, managed to get a 580!

Congrats dortinator1234923 for surpassing your target score. Really happy for you. All the best for your future :)
GMAT Club Bot