It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

480 today.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

480 today. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 11:00
Hey GMAT family,

I took my first GMAT exam today. I scored a whopping 480 on minimal studying so I'm not super upset with the score because I deserved a 280. Anyway a little background. I'm 28 years old. I dropped out of high school at 16 missing the majority of my math intensive classes. Got my GED and went to college. Took a ton of economics and finance classes with stats as well. Graduated with a 3.6 GPA in 2015. Fast forward to today where I'm trying to take the next step in my life. I've always wanted to get my MBA and go into consulting.

Not intending on applying to any crazy high ranked schools like Wharton or Stanford. I'd ideally like to stay in the south. Darden, Vandy, Emory, and UNC area schools. So I know those schools coupled with wanting to go into consulting equals a 720+ GMAT needed.

The positive, scored in the 86th percentile on verbal. With a little work I can easily bump that into the lower to mid 90's. IR score was 7 in the 70th percentile so work needed there. The bad is quant where I scored in the 6th percentile. That's where I don't even begin to know where to start. Any suggestions? Because apparently I don't even grasp the basic concepts of math on the GMAT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my VS995 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3681 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: 480 today. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 16:30
Hi jelobb88,

By your own admissions, you've done 'minimal' studying, so this result is actually decent (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). To hit your goal score, you're clearly going to have to make some significant improvements to how you handle the Quant section overall (and if you can squeeze out a couple of additional points in the Verbal section, then your chances of hitting that score will improve). Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 16:44
Rich,

I have been studying for the past 30 days. The only study material I have is the Official GMAT guides. I have a good window as I am not planning to start applying until the first rounds of 2018. My girlfriend and I are going to take a week long trip to visit the 5 target schools that I would like to attend in July. We want to get a feel for the cities and the schools. If we find one we really love then I will probably apply for EA at that school. I can dedicate 2-3 hours daily to studying. She is still in school and uses some of the evening for homework and that provides a good 2-3 hours to study. Our trip is in July so I was thinking late February or early March would be a good time for a second shot. That way, if it isn't where I'd like it to be I still have extra time to hone skills and make a third attempt.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 16:57
Hi jelobb88,

You've given yourself plenty of time before you plan to retake the GMAT - which is good. You also appear to have plenty of extra time (if needed), so you can certainly approach the next phases of your studies in whatever way you like. Your score goal is essentially the 90th percentile - meaning that 90% of Test Takers will never score that high regardless of how long they study or the number of times they take the GMAT - so you're going to have to train and develop some specific skills to hit that score. As such, the question at this moment is how 'efficient' you want to be with your time. Given everything that you've described, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Regardless of the approach that you take, you will likely need at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study to hit 720+. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18108 [0], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 20:15
jelobb88 wrote:
Hey GMAT family,

I took my first GMAT exam today. I scored a whopping 480 on minimal studying so I'm not super upset with the score because I deserved a 280. Anyway a little background. I'm 28 years old. I dropped out of high school at 16 missing the majority of my math intensive classes. Got my GED and went to college. Took a ton of economics and finance classes with stats as well. Graduated with a 3.6 GPA in 2015. Fast forward to today where I'm trying to take the next step in my life. I've always wanted to get my MBA and go into consulting.

Not intending on applying to any crazy high ranked schools like Wharton or Stanford. I'd ideally like to stay in the south. Darden, Vandy, Emory, and UNC area schools. So I know those schools coupled with wanting to go into consulting equals a 720+ GMAT needed.

The positive, scored in the 86th percentile on verbal. With a little work I can easily bump that into the lower to mid 90's. IR score was 7 in the 70th percentile so work needed there. The bad is quant where I scored in the 6th percentile. That's where I don't even begin to know where to start. Any suggestions? Because apparently I don't even grasp the basic concepts of math on the GMAT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At 6 percentile, you need to drop the GMAT Quant books for the time being and instead focus on the basics. I would suggest you to pick your middle/high school books and review arithmetic, algebra and geometry from them. Start from the place where you are comfortable and ensure that you go through everything that comes thereafter.
Also, there are a couple of websites that could help you:
purplemath.com
khanacademy.org

Once you review the basics thoroughly, pick a complete GMAT prep curriculum and work on it. This entire process may take upto 6 months but should be worth it.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18108 [0], given: 236

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: ISB '19, Rotman '19, IIM
GMAT Date: 02-04-2017
GPA: 3.6
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 23:57
You need to work your ass off in Quant.
And for that you need to be very good in Basics.
Pickup the Manhattan Quant Foundation Book and solve it in totality.
See what your accuracy comes in that book.
If your accuracy is not good there, there are many courses which are available for free on the internet for people wanting to learn Maths.
You can do one such course.
It takes 1 week or so.
The Perfect Scores Basic Maths Course is a good video course.
But I would suggest to first solve Manhattan Maths Foundation. That book should be your bible for the next 7-10 days.
Re-do each concept 3-5 times.
Watch this channel 3-5 times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT3jh2aZN68

I am there to help. You can email me on ayakconsultancy@gmail.com or whatsapp me on +919425412028 if you have an issue.
I know what you are going thru. You are not alone. Believe me

jelobb88 wrote:
Hey GMAT family,

If you have any queries, you can always whatsapp on my number +91945412028
Ayush

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1131 [0], given: 547

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 08:13
jelobb88 wrote:
Hey GMAT family,

Hi

Following resources may help you

Best GMAT Courses

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-co ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Study Plan

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml?fl=menu

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-self-pr ... tml?f=menu

Best Books

Quant

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Verbal

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

All GMAT CATs

https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-pra ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Timing Strategies

https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strat ... ml?fl=menu

Good Luck

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1131 [0], given: 547

V

Kudos [?]: 351 [0], given: 31

WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 01:19
jelobb88 wrote:
Hey GMAT family,

Hi jelobb88,

You should dedicate around 3 months to improve your score. MGMAT Advanced Quant guide is a great resource for Quant. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section
and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG, the Quant review and GMATPREP QP1 for some great additional practice.

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.
Hope this helps. All the best.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 351 [0], given: 31

Re: 480 today.   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2017, 01:19

480 today.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap