It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

500 to 800 - What it takes?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

500 to 800 - What it takes? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2009, 09:31
Hey guys ...

I just joined, and I like it here :-D

So I want to apply to Insead (I like everything about this school), Its either Insead or not another MBA.

Reality is, I think am not attractive for admission's consideration so am aiming for a high GMAT score: :?

- Poor GPA in college (2.75 out of 5!!!) :|
- 3 Years of working experience as manager (I own a small Filtration manufacturing company).
- Almost done with Liverpool's MBA online program (Currently working on dissertation) :)

I took the GMAT 2 years ago (no preparation) and got 500, now I want to hit the 780-800 mark, am not sure how much time I need to build my skill (both Q&V) to achieve those results, I read some threads and it seems like 1 to 3 months is a common preparation period, I'd like to go threw this slowly until I fully master everything possible in this test, I am thinking more like a Year (studying 3 hours weekly), is this too much?

Kindly advice.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 6

Re: 500 to 800 - What it takes? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2009, 09:59
Getting a 780-800 requires 3 things:
1. Hard work
2. Natural intelligence and ability
3. Luck

There is very little (no) margin for error. Even if you took a very smart person and had him/her take the exam, he/she might get an 800 one time and a 780 the next time simply because the day was different, mind/mood was slightly different, etc. These are very fleeting and lucky factors that can affect your score.

Now, you've said you would study for 1 year at 3 hours weekly. That's not nearly enough if you are coming off a 500. That's a total of 156 hours. By the time my study period is over (a little less than 3 months), I will have studied more than that. In 1.5 months, I've probably clocked 100 hours or so and have increased my score from 680 to about 720/730. So to answer your question, no it's not too much; it is far too little.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2009, 10:06
3 hours per week is not sufficient for the gmat... that's basically like 2 sessions of 1 specific topic (SC grammar, specific type of CR question)...etc.

If you were to study 3 hours per day for 5 days a week, I think a year would be a good amount of time to increase 300 points. An easier method would probably be to first go with a test prep company to improve to 650 or so, then self-study. The initial 100 point increase from 500-600 will be difficult alone if you don't have the fundamentals.

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Schools: Tuck, Kellogg, Darden, Duke, NYU, Columbia

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2009, 13:34
You need to eat, breathe, live GMAT. Seriously. Coming from 500... I suggest you take a course. Manhattan gmat, Veritas Prep... something. I am currently taking the 9-week Manhattan Gmat and has helped me tremendously!

You know if the GMAT/MBA was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2009, 09:01
Give it your 100% and let the result follow - whatever it is!

INSEAD is certainly within your reach :)

Also, don't be sensitive to your GPA. If you have succeeded in something else that is important in the business context, then who cares whether your GPA is 4 or 2?!

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2009, 13:18
Thanks for your help guys ...

I think am better of squeezing it into 2-3 months rather than expanding it on one year.

I'll start preparing soon.

Cheers

Re: 500 to 800 - What it takes?   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2009, 13:18

500 to 800 - What it takes?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap