GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

560 - First attempt; beat down

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
560 - First attempt; beat down [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 22:04
Hi,

I took the last 5-6 weeks off work to really focus on improving my score and although I hoped for a miracle I landed on a 560 (41Q, 30 V) today in the official exam, so I cancelled my score.

Throughout the prep I:
- studied quite consistently everyday
- went through all MGMAT content and finished the Economist GMAT (81.3% quant and 72% verbal completion)
- completed the majority of OG 2017 (approx 830 questions)
- undertook practice tests with the following scores:
Economist GMAT 9th Aug - 460 (32Q, 23V)
Economist GMAT 21st Aug - 620 (41Q, 35V, 3 IR)
Economist GMAT 28 Aug - 380 (6 Q, 38 V, 1 IR) --> no idea how i got 6Q i really don't... and the test glitched on question 3 of IR)
GMAT Prep-2 29th August - 600 (43Q, 30V (skipped IR))
Actual GMAT Exam today 31st Aug - 560 (Q41, V30)

Not going to lie, I'm pretty down about this and I'm dreading going back to work tomorrow.

My intention is to apply to Round 2 of the MBA programs but I can't just say I'm going to go back doing the same thing I have been doing in my study as that hasn't worked.

Would anyone have suggestions on how to step forward?

EMPOWERgmatRichC?
EMPOWERgmat Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: 560 - First attempt; beat down [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 12:49
Hi dcummins,

To start, you've clearly made some nice improvements since your initial 430 back in February. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results (along with your Official GMAT Score) show that you essentially performed the same each time (590 +/- a few points). Assuming that your goal score is still 700+, you will have to continue to study and make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Early on, we discussed the idea that many 'book heavy' studiers end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level - and it certainly appears that that has happened to you too. You seem to understand that continuing to study "your way" probably won't get you to your goal score, so it's time to make some changes. You still have plenty of time before the Round 2 application deadlines though, so you just need to make sure to proceed in an efficient fashion - with the goal of learning/practicing the proper Tactics and honing your skills.

1) Are you back at work now?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 17:16
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, you're really supportive and when all this is done and dusted I'll remember people like yourself.

To answer your questions
1. Yes - I'm back at work today
2. My work load is relatively light over the next few months so I'm going to say around 18-20 hours a week (give or take).
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 23:10
Hi dcummins,

From what you describe, you could put in some significant study time over the next 2 months, so you could potentially improve a great deal - IF you focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics. Based on everything that you’ve described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so the time commitment wouldn't be that bad. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: 560 - First attempt; beat down   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 23:10

560 - First attempt; beat down

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap