GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

580 to 700 .

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
580 to 700 .  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 06:06
Finally done with my GMAT exam .It is long awaited journey .1 year, 4 attempts, finally done and dusted ...
Background -Indian IT male , 9-5 job(some time 11: to 9 , some time 1 to 11)

I started my GMAT preparation last year Jan .Schedule my all exams in 3 months Gap .1st attempt , I mostly followed GMAT club ,OG guide and GMAT prep question .I admit , i was not much focused during 1st attempt.
G-Day -Boooom 580 .

It was literally disappointing after seeing 580 on screen.

Prepared for next 3 months .Kept verbal on priority.This time i took Magoosh verbal course.Video are easy to decipher , and have in depth details.Thanks to Magoosh, specially mikemcgarry , my verbal marks rose appx 10 points , but this time i screwed my quants
G-day -620 (shock again).

"""""I read many quotes that say "learn from ur failure" . i guarantee you , those lines are correct."""""

Now it was time to rethink the strategy , I purchased manhatten exams this time , and started my studies all over again .This duration , i stayed away from distract tors such as social media . I followed GMAT CLUB like hell .

GMATNinja, sayantanc2k --Thanks for all ur valuable concept and articles

3rd -G-Day: 650

In This stage i stared thinking , its difficult for me to get 700. Completely devastated .
I took break from studies for 10-15 days .

Gathering all the leftover motivation, i promised myself this would be my last attempt , and i have to study like helllll.i Purchased all the GMAT PREP exam and question bank .This Time , i was completely focusing OFFICIAL questions.
Gave all PREP exam - i Scored 730-740 range in each exam.
Solved Official Question atleast 5 times .
Followed Bunuel solution like bible (I got Quant 50 in last attempt )

G-DAY- 700(finally doneeeeeeeeeee)

Suggestion :
-If you are solving any question in verbal correctly , Do check why wrong answer choice is wrong .It will shape u for next questions.
-Error log is must
-Follow Bunuel , check each of his solution. Every time you will learn some thing new
-Follow GMATNinja, sayantanc2k , daagh and mikemcgarry solutions for any verbal question
-Read a lot of books
-Do not panic in exam , be cool and calm
-Solve official as much as u can
-Give official exam seriously
-if you are solving LSAT CR , re-calibrate yourself to GMAT CR before exam
-Utilize GMAT club tests
Magoosh Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Re: 580 to 700 .  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 03:42
sobby wrote:
Finally done with my GMAT exam .It is long awaited journey .1 year, 4 attempts, finally done and dusted ...
Background -Indian IT male , 9-5 job(some time 11: to 9 , some time 1 to 11)

I started my GMAT preparation last year Jan .Schedule my all exams in 3 months Gap .1st attempt , I mostly followed GMAT club ,OG guide and GMAT prep question .I admit , i was not much focused during 1st attempt.
G-Day -Boooom 580 .

It was literally disappointing after seeing 580 on screen.

Prepared for next 3 months .Kept verbal on priority.This time i took Magoosh verbal course.Video are easy to decipher , and have in depth details.Thanks to Magoosh, specially mikemcgarry , my verbal marks rose appx 10 points , but this time i screwed my quants
G-day -620 (shock again).

"""""I read many quotes that say "learn from ur failure" . i guarantee you , those lines are correct."""""

Now it was time to rethink the strategy , I purchased manhatten exams this time , and started my studies all over again .This duration , i stayed away from distract tors such as social media . I followed GMAT CLUB like hell .

GMATNinja, sayantanc2k --Thanks for all ur valuable concept and articles

3rd -G-Day: 650

In This stage i stared thinking , its difficult for me to get 700. Completely devastated .
I took break from studies for 10-15 days .

Gathering all the leftover motivation, i promised myself this would be my last attempt , and i have to study like helllll.i Purchased all the GMAT PREP exam and question bank .This Time , i was completely focusing OFFICIAL questions.
Gave all PREP exam - i Scored 730-740 range in each exam.
Solved Official Question atleast 5 times .
Followed Bunuel solution like bible (I got Quant 50 in last attempt )

G-DAY- 700(finally doneeeeeeeeeee)

Suggestion :
-If you are solving any question in verbal correctly , Do check why wrong answer choice is wrong .It will shape u for next questions.
-Error log is must
-Follow Bunuel , check each of his solution. Every time you will learn some thing new
-Follow GMATNinja, sayantanc2k , daagh and mikemcgarry solutions for any verbal question
-Read a lot of books
-Do not panic in exam , be cool and calm
-Solve official as much as u can
-Give official exam seriously
-if you are solving LSAT CR , re-calibrate yourself to GMAT CR before exam
-Utilize GMAT club tests

Thank you for sharing you experience and welcome to the 700 club :)
Good luck with your applications.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 06:56
Hearty Congratulations sobby. I have also been reading experts for some time now, but now want to start my preparation seriously.

Can you let me now what you mean by "re-calibrate yourself to GMAT CR before exam". Because I have been reading that if we prepare from LSAT CR, then we are automatically prepared for GMAT CR.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 07:40
RohanBasawkar wrote:
Hearty Congratulations sobby. I have also been reading experts for some time now, but now want to start my preparation seriously.

Can you let me now what you mean by "re-calibrate yourself to GMAT CR before exam". Because I have been reading that if we prepare from LSAT CR, then we are automatically prepared for GMAT CR.

LSAT questions have a bit of different format and mentality than OG CR so it is advisable to recalibrate or just do enough of each when you study

lets all unite to reach our target together

Director
Director
P
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
580 to 700 .  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 08:39
RohanBasawkar wrote:

I think AweG have pointed out correctly .

It is my personal experience that LSAT CR are actually difficult , and have format of answer choices different from GMAT CR's. it is actually beneficial to solve those question as one will get a varied view point of a scenario given in CR argument .But finally GMAT CR's are what we should focus more.

This is my Conversation with GmatNinja ...... :) Hope this will help

sobby wrote:

Its really helpful ...I am not doing LSAT question explicitly but there are a lot of good CR question floating in this forum.I found that difficult than GMAT CR .
what i observed is LSAT CR (Strengthen /assumption ) requires multilevel thinking to reach a particular point.unlike in GMAT CR (mostly), the answer will be exactly to the point (may be convoluted by wordings)...and if a answer choice requires multilevel thinking that answer choice is mostly wrong in GMAT .
just was curious to know, would LSAT question hamper the thinking process required in GMAT CR or just i am thinking too much
Thanks.

Reply :

I have no reason to think that doing LSATs would ever actually hamper your thinking process on the GMAT. The fundamental logic is still the same. Sure, you could argue that LSAT questions tend to be a little bit more complex on average (especially those parallel reasoning questions -- they're nasty), but the LSAT isn't going to teach you anything that would somehow be wrong on the GMAT. So I wouldn't worry about that. It's just a question of whether you really need LSATs. If the GMAT materials are enough to get you to your goals, awesome!

I do think that LSAT and GMAT questions can feel really different, though. The LSAT loves more abstract, deductive logic, and the LSAT has more legal and philosophical topics. The GMAT loves to give you passages that are more aligned with things you'd discuss in the real world, such as economics or business or politics. So if you end up using the LSAT, it's always wise to do more GMAT questions as you get closer to your actual exam, just so you don't find the GMAT questions jarring. For most people, the GMAT will just feel MUCH easier after you've done a bunch of LSATs. But still, it's always good to make sure that you're re-calibrated to the GMAT by test day
GMAT Club Bot
580 to 700 . &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 08:39

580 to 700 .

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap