GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 14:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

590 (3rd attempt) to 650-680 in 2 months - HELP!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
590 (3rd attempt) to 650-680 in 2 months - HELP!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Dec 2017, 01:38
Hi everyone,

I never thought I would ever find myself starting a topic given all the information that I have read in this forum but here I am. I will try to be brief explaining my current situation and what I need. Absolutely any help, tip or opinion you could share will be appreciated.

Background:
Academic:
Lawyer
MSc in Human Resources.
Training in Economics provided by my company (1.5 years programme part time).
Work Exp:
1y - Commercial contracts at a small consulting firm.
4y - Internal Adminitration & Sales Analysis at a Distribution Plant from a leading Oil&Gas company in Spain.

Situation
I started attending GMAT classes at an academy in Spain but started studying seriously 2 months after in April 2017. I relied solely on the OG and Supplements.
My first simulations went horrible 450, 420, 540... and then I started taking real exams after a lot of practice.

* June 2017: 570 (Q41 V28 IR3 AWA5).
Then I studied all the summer, repeated ALL the OG and Supplement questions, and carefully read the Manhattan SC and CR guides (books 7 and 8?). I also bought a Magoosh account as an indian friend of mine who scored 760 suggested me. I felt verbal was quite dense and maths were a bit different from the questions in the OG, but i gave it a try.

* September 2017: 540 (Q36 V25).
After studying all summer it was quite shocking but truth be told I took the exam at 9am without sleep and studying compulsively the days before so I had all the ideas mixed in my head, at the exam i didn't felt well at all. The I decided to take some time to work on my applications, get fresh and start over again but this time with a strategy on mind.
I started taking private classes for verbal section and some classes for the quant section at the same academy where I attended a general course months ago.
After repeating the Mid-Hard exercises and working with the Official GMATPrep Tool I finally saw the light. I was getting between 75% and 85% of the questions right, both in verbal and in quant, even the tough ones. Reducing the answers to two if i ever have to make an educated guess, and most important, I clearly see the reasoning in all the questions i get wrong.
I did some simulations at Veritas Prep and scored 620, 610, 590, and did other two simulations at the GMATPrep tool: 590 and 590.

*December 2017: 590 (Q39 V41 IR1 AWA-)...
I am stucked and I dont know how to proceed from here... I have made a HUGE effort studying countless hours and doing all the exercises from the OG twice. I have read in this forum the score you get at the beginning is going to the reference and little variation is going happen regardless the effort so better focus on other parts of the application. On the other hand, ive seen some people improving from 500s to 700s in a month or something. At my academy I saw many people improving from the 500s to +680 in a record time... Even the instructors say once you get improving the improvement is exponential. I time myself during the exercises, reading the texts, answering math questions, and I do a correct pace but at the simulations and the real exam I somehow feel I manage the time poorly. But to sum up, I have no clue how to proceed from here.

Goal:
I am Applying to IESE and HEC MBAs and I am aiming for a GMAT score between 650-680 (higher if possible of course). I could not apply in R2 given my last GMAT score... both schools told me the same, average is 690 but with a 650 I could be in. This is just 60 to 90 points from where I am now, I see it there and I even feel I was improving a lot during last months. But although I was expecting a similar result, scoring below 600 in my third attempt really makes me think.

Next round R3 for my top schools is in March, so I have 2 months to prepare and score around +70 points. I anyone could recommend me or suggest me a good source, plan, tutor or whatever that could help me in this situation it would be great! I really don't know what to do now but I see it very very close!!!
I dont want to spend 2k in a private tutor from a top gmat prep firm but I have read that The Economist Gmat, e-Gmat and Magoosh are good sources to improve some 50 to 70 points, and they have online private tutoring as well. Any opinion on that? any personal experience?

Feel free write whatever you consider of any help. I would appreciate that a lot!!

Best regards!!

[PS: no anger about the GMAT whatsoever, I even enjoy studying it. Its just that feeling of investing a huge amount of effort and not observing a significant grade increase...]

Originally posted by AlvaroNG on 19 Dec 2017, 16:05.
Last edited by AlvaroNG on 20 Dec 2017, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Magoosh Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.6
Re: 590 (3rd attempt) to 650-680 in 2 months - HELP!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 18:28
AlvaroNG wrote:
Hi everyone,

I never thought I would ever find myself starting a topic given all the information that I have read in this forum but here I am. I will try to be brief explaining my current situation and what I need. Absolutely any help, tip or opinion you could share will be appreciated.

I think in your case, the best way is try a private tutor if you have enough money:

Ron is teaching now: https://www.ronpurewal.com/

or you can use Manhattan's service: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/prep/tutoring/

Veritas https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/tutoring/#findtutor

In other case, can you order the ESR and upload it here.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 18:31
Hi AlvaroNG,

To start, I think there's a 'typo' in your post. What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this most recent GMAT? I ask because a Q39/V41 would NOT lead to an Overall Score of 590.

With 2 months of study time, you could potentially improve a great deal. At this point, I don't think you necessarily need a tutor to get you to your Goal Score, but you do have to make some adjustments to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Exam. Before we discuss how best to do that, I have a few questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

examPAL Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 04:28
AlvaroNG wrote:
Hi everyone,

Background:
Academic:
Lawyer
MSc in Human Resources.
Training in Economics provided by my company (1.5 years programme part time).
Work Exp:
1y - Commercial contracts at a small consulting firm.
4y - Internal Adminitration & Sales Analysis at a Distribution Plant from a leading Oil&Gas company in Spain.

Situation
I started attending GMAT classes at an academy in Spain but started studying seriously 2 months after in April 2017. I relied solely on the OG and Supplements.
My first simulations went horrible 450, 420, 540... and then I started taking real exams after a lot of practice.

* June 2017: 570 (Q41 V28 IR3 AWA5).
Then I studied all the summer, repeated ALL the OG and Supplement questions, and carefully read the Manhattan SC and CR guides (books 7 and 8?). I also bought a Magoosh account as an indian friend of mine who scored 760 suggested me. I felt verbal was quite dense and maths were a bit different from the questions in the OG, but i gave it a try.

* September 2017: 540 (Q36 V25).
After studying all summer it was quite shocking but truth be told I took the exam at 9am without sleep and studying compulsively the days before so I had all the ideas mixed in my head, at the exam i didn't felt well at all. The I decided to take some time to work on my applications, get fresh and start over again but this time with a strategy on mind.
I started taking private classes for verbal section and some classes for the quant section at the same academy where I attended a general course months ago.
After repeating the Mid-Hard exercises and working with the Official GMATPrep Tool I finally saw the light. I was getting between 75% and 85% of the questions right, both in verbal and in quant, even the tough ones. Reducing the answers to two if i ever have to make an educated guess, and most important, I clearly see the reasoning in all the questions i get wrong.
I did some simulations at Veritas Prep and scored 620, 610, 590, and did other two simulations at the GMATPrep tool: 590 and 590.

*December 2017: 590 (Q39 V41 IR1 AWA-)...
I am stucked and I dont know how to proceed from here... I have made a HUGE effort studying countless hours and doing all the exercises from the OG twice. I have read in this forum the score you get at the beginning is going to the reference and little variation is going happen regardless the effort so better focus on other parts of the application. On the other hand, ive seen some people improving from 500s to 700s in a month or something. At my academy I saw many people improving from the 500s to +680 in a record time... Even the instructors say once you get improving the improvement is exponential. I time myself during the exercises, reading the texts, answering math questions, and I do a correct pace but at the simulations and the real exam I somehow feel I manage the time poorly. But to sum up, I have no clue how to proceed from here.

Goal:
I am Applying to IESE and HEC MBAs and I am aiming for a GMAT score between 650-680 (higher if possible of course). I could not apply in R2 given my last GMAT score... both schools told me the same, average is 690 but with a 650 I could be in. This is just 60 to 90 points from where I am now, I see it there and I even feel I was improving a lot during last months. But although I was expecting a similar result, scoring below 600 in my third attempt really makes me think.

Next round R3 for my top schools is in March, so I have 2 months to prepare and score around +70 points. I anyone could recommend me or suggest me a good source, plan, tutor or whatever that could help me in this situation it would be great! I really don't know what to do now but I see it very very close!!!
I dont want to spend 2k in a private tutor from a top gmat prep firm but I have read that The Economist Gmat, e-Gmat and Magoosh are good sources to improve some 50 to 70 points, and they have online private tutoring as well. Any opinion on that? any personal experience?

Feel free write whatever you consider of any help. I would appreciate that a lot!!

Best regards!!

[PS: no anger about the GMAT whatsoever, I even enjoy studying it. Its just that feeling of investing a huge amount of effort and not observing a significant grade increase...]

AlvaroNG It sounds to me like you don't need a private tutor, but rather need to take some kind of course or structured study plan.
It's clear from your post that you don't need to just solve more questions - it's clear you've done enough of that already, and at this point additional question solving won't help you improve, but may burn you out. What you need is to identify your weaknesses and work on them.
I'd start by going over your last practice test, or batch of practice questions, and making a list of your mistakes. For each, ask yourself "why did this mistake happen?" Was it simply not knowing the material? If so, go back and learn it! Was it something "silly", like just getting confused? This may seem inconsequential, but actually - these are the types of mistakes which are most reoccurring, and often have simple fixes (something simple like writing the answer down and crossing them out so as not to get confused can be helpful). Is it just that it took you too long? If so, there may be a faster to way to go about the question (such as switching variables for numbers, instead of actually solving).
Keep a running list of the tips and answer tools you pick up along the way, continuation refresh it and refer back to it to see you are actually implementing it.

The sources you mentioned (The Economist Gmat, e-Gmat and Magoosh) are good. I also humbly suggest taking a look at examPAL.com - we have videos on all topics which are free.
I do think a course can be beneficial (and way cheaper than a private tutor). If you do want consider this, examPAL has a 70 point improvement guarantee.

To summarize, the most important thing for you is to decide on a structured study plan going forward, which includes more than rote question-solving. This will help you focus, and give you confidence going forward.

Good luck!

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course

Re: 590 (3rd attempt) to 650-680 in 2 months - HELP! &nbs [#permalink] 21 Dec 2017, 04:28

590 (3rd attempt) to 650-680 in 2 months - HELP!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap