Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 600 to 740, Mission Impossible? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Black5tar,

PhD Programs tend to be highly competitive, since the number of available 'spots' is low and the applicants tend to be highly qualified overall. As such, a high GMAT score is almost always required (even if it's not explicitly stated).

From your post, it's not clear how you studied, so I have some questions about that and your overall timeline:

1) How long did you study?
2) What materials did you use during your studies?
3) How were you scoring on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

4) What application deadline(s) are you facing?

The GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Some adjustments to your study plan will clearly have to be made though and you will likely have to invest in some new study materials and learn/practice some new Tactics.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich, thank you for your advice. My replies as follows:

1) How long did you study? 3 months
2) What materials did you use during your studies? OGs, Testprep software
3) How were you scoring on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? I was scoring consistently 700-720 on my practice CATs (Don't ask me why the actual is so much lower :cry:
4) What application deadline(s) are you facing? I have already scheduled a re-test on 21 Feb 2016. This gives me one month to buck up!

Any other advice you can provide?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
Black5tar wrote:
Hi friends, I just did my GMAT last week and scored a 600 (Q47, V27, AWA3, IR6)

I honestly gave it my best effort, doing all the prep the best I could (OGs, Testprep software, Simulated exam conditions, slept well before exam). I was feeling confident on test day, and even during the test itself I thought I was doing pretty well.
Then came the shock 600 at the end.

I am beginning to think perhaps I am not cut out for GMAT. My intention for taking the GMAT was to pursue a Phd in Business from one of the top research universities in the US. As I understand from speaking with faculty, even though most school do not require a minimum GMAT, a 740 should generally be the bare minimum an international candidate like myself should possess.

Would improving my score at the next test to 740 be mission impossible? Should I consider taking the GRE instead?
Really appreciate any feedback you can give!

Hi Black5tar,

I see that you have solved the Official questions, taken simulated test etc. But what I don't see is the preparatory course that you followed (if any)
GMAT tests you on certain fundamentals that can be learnt by following a course. Official guides are a must for problem solving, but they do not teach you any concepts.

Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer free trial of the course. You can opt for the trial period and see if the course suits your needs.

1. What was the duration for which you prepared?
2. Did you keep an error log?

Coming down to GRE vs GMAT. It is always a personal choice as to which test you wish to take. Since you have already taken the GMAT and are well versed with the test, I would recommend you to stick to the GMAT and prepare well for it.

Janielle, thank you for your advice! Yes you are right, I did not follow any preparatory course so as to save costs. Perhaps a bad move in hindsight, given that I need to spend another $250 for a re-test now.

My replies as follows:
1. What was the duration for which you prepared? 3 months
2. Did you keep an error log? No

Will take in your advice to keep an error log! I suppose no harm trying out some of these free trials as well. Any other advice you may have?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Black5tar,

When I asked what application deadline(s) you were facing, I wasn't asking when you planned to retake the GMAT. You need to define that deadline so that we know exactly how much time you have to study, take the GMAT AND apply.

1) What is the application deadline for each of the Programs that you're considering?

As it stands, with a February 21st Test Date, you have about 5 weeks of study time remaining - unfortunately, that really isn't enough time to realistically raise your score to a 740. While you might be able to hit that score level with the proper practice materials, you will almost certainly need MORE time than you've allotted.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Black5tar wrote:

Janielle, thank you for your advice! Yes you are right, I did not follow any preparatory course so as to save costs. Perhaps a bad move in hindsight, given that I need to spend another $250 for a re-test now.

My replies as follows:
1. What was the duration for which you prepared? 3 months
2. Did you keep an error log? No

Will take in your advice to keep an error log! I suppose no harm trying out some of these free trials as well. Any other advice you may have?

Hi Black5tar,

You have close to a month to prepare for the GMAT again. Is there a possibility that you can shift the test date?

1. When do you plan to the B-Schools?
2. Free courses are just like demo video games, you will not be able to gain much in the demo time. To take the bes out of the courses, I would recommend you to opt for one.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the replies! Postponing my GMAT would really only be my last resort though...given my tight timeline, perhaps paying for a full standardised course wouldn't be a great idea either...

I am gonna take a month off work starting next Mon to focus purely on preparing for my test. This in itself should help, together with incorporating all the tips and techniques I am learning from the forums.

I am planning to apply to top B-schools around the world, starting from Aus in Apr onwards!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
600 to 740, Mission Impossible? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Black5tar wrote:

I honestly gave it my best effort, doing all the prep the best I could (OGs, Testprep software, Simulated exam conditions, slept well before exam). I was feeling confident on test day, and even during the test itself I thought I was doing pretty well.

I am beginning to think perhaps I am not cut out for GMAT. My intention for taking the GMAT was to pursue a Phd in Business from one of the top research universities in the US. As I understand from speaking with faculty, even though most school do not require a minimum GMAT, a 740 should generally be the bare minimum an international candidate like myself should possess.

Would improving my score at the next test to 740 be mission impossible? Should I consider taking the GRE instead?

It has happened before!!!

Read the testimonial of one of our students Swanand Deodhar posted here on GMAT CLUB only

620-to-760-getting-reborn-161230.html

You can see the same testimonial in testimonial section of our website as well
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:
Black5tar wrote:

It has happened before!!!

Read the testimonial of one of our students Swanand Deodhar posted here on GMAT CLUB only

620-to-760-getting-reborn-161230.html

You can see the same testimonial in testimonial section of our website as well

Thank you for the share! But I am not too sure his method would fit my tight timeline mentioned above
GMAT Club Bot