GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

630 in the real thing and what should I do right now?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge
630 in the real thing and what should I do right now?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 13:01
Hello everyone

I'm writing rather disappointed because of what happened.

I studied for 4 full months in 2017-2018 (Mid November 2017 - Mid March 2018). Then, I stopped till November 2018 when I started again until monday.

I've been scoring 660+ (in veritas and in every single free gmat mock test). I even scored 660 and 680 in the official mocks. That's why I was expecting a similar score on gmat, but to my astonishment, I only received a 630 (Q43 V34).

I really don't know what happened.

First off, I started with Verbal. I got so nervous that I was literally stucked almost 1-2 minutes looking at questions without even understading anything from them, but even so the verbal score was decent (the minimum that I expected). Then, I continued with the Quant section, which I thought I was crushing (I didnt get nervous. I was super relaxed). Many questions were really tough in the middle of the exam, but then I saw a Q43. :(

To tell you the truth, Quant was my stronger side. I was getting really good scores in Veritas (Q49), in gmatclub tests and in the official ones (at least q48).

The 630 score is not useful for me as I want to apply for top mba programs.

I was thinking about studying from MGMAT and OGs... As I noticed almost 3 weeks before my exam that MGMAT provides strategies tailored made to avoid stupid mistakes, which I used to make (4 or 3 every test). If you can provide me any suggestions on this, I will be glad. Please, consider that I will start studying in November, so I will have to start over again.

A little bit of background. I've been studying from Magoosh, Advanced Quant from MGMAT, PowerScore CR bible, Powerscore RC bible, OGs 2018, LSAT RCs and LRs and an economist journal subscription. I would like to note that I first started in 2017, studying from MGMAT, which I then stopped using as all the strategies developed to avoid silly mistakes seemed to be useless to me ( too much time to make a chart, but well, now I know what's the value of those strategies....). Regarding the tests, I used the official free ones, veritas ones and many free gmat tests.
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 630 in the real thing and what should I do right now?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 16:36
Hi patto,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. In some of your prior posts over the last month, you noted a couple of issues that may have impacted your Score on the Official GMAT:

1) You admitted that you were consistently making lots of little mistakes during your CATs.
2) Since March 1st, you were studying over 40 hours a week (and you stated that you might study up to 70+ hours a week).

Based on your Official Score, you almost certainly continued to make the same little mistakes that you were making during your CATs. The root 'cause' of those mistakes is likely based on how you took notes and your general organization - but you might have also been approaching questions in ways that made it MORE likely for you to make a mistake (especially if "your way" of approaching questions was complicated or disorganized).

Beyond that, if you truly did study that much over the last several weeks, then there's a reasonable chance to that you were a bit 'burned out' on Test Day - and unable to perform at your best.

From your prior posts, I understand that you will likely be too busy over the next 6+ months to study for the GMAT, so we can plan to discuss how to get back into 'study mode' later on this year (as we get closer to November). You can feel free to contact me directly whenever you're ready to restart your studies and we can discuss how to proceed.

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for this attempt. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 15:52
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi patto,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. In some of your prior posts over the last month, you noted a couple of issues that may have impacted your Score on the Official GMAT:

1) You admitted that you were consistently making lots of little mistakes during your CATs.
2) Since March 1st, you were studying over 40 hours a week (and you stated that you might study up to 70+ hours a week).

Based on your Official Score, you almost certainly continued to make the same little mistakes that you were making during your CATs. The root 'cause' of those mistakes is likely based on how you took notes and your general organization - but you might have also been approaching questions in ways that made it MORE likely for you to make a mistake (especially if "your way" of approaching questions was complicated or disorganized).

Beyond that, if you truly did study that much over the last several weeks, then there's a reasonable chance to that you were a bit 'burned out' on Test Day - and unable to perform at your best.

From your prior posts, I understand that you will likely be too busy over the next 6+ months to study for the GMAT, so we can plan to discuss how to get back into 'study mode' later on this year (as we get closer to November). You can feel free to contact me directly whenever you're ready to restart your studies and we can discuss how to proceed.

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for this attempt. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich!

It's always nice to hear from you. I will send you the ESR in November and give empowergmat course a try.
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 23:51
Hi patto, I would definitely re-appear once.

In case you've forgotten, the HARDER you work, the LUCKIER you get:)

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
630 in the real thing and what should I do right now?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 03:42
patto wrote:
Hello everyone

I'm writing rather disappointed because of what happened.

I studied for 4 full months in 2017-2018 (Mid November 2017 - Mid March 2018). Then, I stopped till November 2018 when I started again until monday.

I've been scoring 660+ (in veritas and in every single free gmat mock test). I even scored 660 and 680 in the official mocks. That's why I was expecting a similar score on gmat, but to my astonishment, I only received a 630 (Q43 V34).

I really don't know what happened.

First off, I started with Verbal. I got so nervous that I was literally stucked almost 1-2 minutes looking at questions without even understading anything from them, but even so the verbal score was decent (the minimum that I expected). Then, I continued with the Quant section, which I thought I was crushing (I didnt get nervous. I was super relaxed). Many questions were really tough in the middle of the exam, but then I saw a Q43. :(

To tell you the truth, Quant was my stronger side. I was getting really good scores in Veritas (Q49), in gmatclub tests and in the official ones (at least q48).

The 630 score is not useful for me as I want to apply for top mba programs.

I was thinking about studying from MGMAT and OGs... As I noticed almost 3 weeks before my exam that MGMAT provides strategies tailored made to avoid stupid mistakes, which I used to make (4 or 3 every test). If you can provide me any suggestions on this, I will be glad. Please, consider that I will start studying in November, so I will have to start over again.

A little bit of background. I've been studying from Magoosh, Advanced Quant from MGMAT, PowerScore CR bible, Powerscore RC bible, OGs 2018, LSAT RCs and LRs and an economist journal subscription. I would like to note that I first started in 2017, studying from MGMAT, which I then stopped using as all the strategies developed to avoid silly mistakes seemed to be useless to me ( too much time to make a chart, but well, now I know what's the value of those strategies....). Regarding the tests, I used the official free ones, veritas ones and many free gmat tests.

patto - From Q49 to Q43 is quite a drop. Did you get some previously attempted questions during your practice tests? You will need to figure out the cause of this drop and prepare accordingly next time.

I see that you are planning to start after 6 months so there is no point discussing strategies at this time, but here is something I can suggest you to do in the next 6 months. We have free video solutions to tons of OG questions here: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-resources/
During your daily commute or while travelling or whenever you get some free time in the day, check out a few solutions (each video is approx 3-5 mins long). This will help you stay in touch with basics even though it won't take any effort.
Also, if you wish, as part of your daily reading, go through a couple of Blog posts every day in the next few months.
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/catego ... mat-quant/
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/catego ... er-wisdom/

Even this much passive study may be enough to ensure that you start off from where you are leaving.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 05:12
Hi patto,

I understand you could not score as per your expectation. This time with proper planning and execution you will surely be able to reach your target score.

The drop in Quant score is significant. Could you apply the processes properly in the actual test? To understand the problem better please share your ESR with us, if you have it available.

Many students face such test day fluctuations and can overcome the same as well. Learn how Urshila improved her score from Q42 to Q49.

For you, the good thing is you have a decent understanding of verbal and will be required to focus mainly on improving the application skills.

Way Forward

Overall, to improve in both Quant and Verbal it is important to identify the areas that will give you improvement. You can take Verbal Ability quiz or Quant Ability Quiz to identify the specific topics and question types that you are weak in. Then work on these areas to improve your ability.

You can do so with existing resources or start with the free resources shared below. You can get access to a lot more of these videos and practice questions once you sign up for the Free Trial.

As you prepare, keep hitting the target ability in each sub-section required for reaching your overall target. You can find out the precise targets using Personalised Study Planner. This will ensure GMAT is no longer a black box where you expect a certain score but, be sure of reaching your target as you build the required ability in each of its component sub-sections.

Lastly, learn the tips to make the best use of mock tests and be test ready.

As you are planning to start your studies in November you can reach out to us closer to starting your preparation. You can drop a mail at support@e-gmat.com, referencing this post or schedule a call to discuss the preparation strategy in detail.

Regards,
Zinnia
Re: 630 in the real thing and what should I do right now?   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2019, 05:12

630 in the real thing and what should I do right now?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap