Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:15 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
680 GMAT score & profile, good enough for the M7? [#permalink]
tomialves wrote:
Hello everyone!

I wanted to get your opinion on this, just to analyze and re-eveluate next steps.

I took the test 3 times 660, 640 680 (Q49V35, and V38 in the 640 attempt).

I know I can keep going and go for a 700+, I feel I'm right there, but it has been a rough 5+ months of preparation and taking a toll on me (and my relationship & work) wanted to get your thoughts if it makes sense to keep going.

On the timeframe, if I start the application process NOW I can go for R1, if not, I'll need to go for R2.

Regarding my profile, I have an Industrial engineering degree 7.5/10 and a masters degree in fianance (top 10% of the class)
I'm from Argentina, been living in Brazil for the past year and a half.
I have worked for the two largest tech companies in the region, for the latter I've been in the team that lead the IPO of the company in 2021 (one of the largets IPO in Latin America and the largest Dual listing ever). On top of that, not sure if it adds, I speak Spanish, English and fluent in Portuguese (not sure how I'd score in a TOEFL like test for that language)

Again, I'm not pressured per se to go for R1 but wanted to gather the thoughts of the forum on this.

Thank you!

tomialves

A 700+ GMAT score can significantly boost your overall profile. It can not only improve your chances of admission but also increase your likelihood of receiving a scholarship if that is an important factor for you. Your academic background, including a degree in industrial engineering and a master's degree in finance with a top 10% ranking, provides variety but also a solid academic foundation. Your experience in the technology industry, particularly your involvement in a major IPO would have great potential for storytelling. The fact that you are fluent in several languages also adds to the differentiation.

I think you would still be a good catch for Top 15 US schools with a 680, however, M7s are a different league. So one last shot at GMAT might be worth it.

Feel free to connect to discuss your concerns or application strategy with us

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1048 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Re: 680 GMAT score & profile, good enough for the M7? [#permalink]
Hey Tomi,

If I were you, I would reappear for Gmat. Get a score that starts with "7" and then apply in R2.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
tomialves wrote:
Hello everyone!

I wanted to get your opinion on this, just to analyze and re-eveluate next steps.

I know I can keep going and go for a 700+, I feel I'm right there, but it has been a rough 5+ months of preparation and taking a toll on me (and my relationship & work) wanted to get your thoughts if it makes sense to keep going.

On the timeframe, if I start the application process NOW I can go for R1, if not, I'll need to go for R2.

Regarding my profile, I have an Industrial engineering degree 7.5/10 and a masters degree in fianance (top 10% of the class)
I have worked for the two largest tech companies in the region, for the latter I've been in the team that lead the IPO of the company in 2021 (one of the largets IPO in Latin America and the largest Dual listing ever). On top of that, not sure if it adds, I speak Spanish, English and fluent in Portuguese (not sure how I'd score in a TOEFL like test for that language)

Again, I'm not pressured per se to go for R1 but wanted to gather the thoughts of the forum on this.

Thank you!

The best way to assess this is to go through the class profiles of the students with similar demographics (including but not limited to work experience, academics, geography etc)

If you lie in the range of their scores, yes, you would. But profile evaluation requires more in-depth overview of your profile
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I am sorry that GMAT has been a big struggle for you. Please know that you are not alone in this struggle; many others have faced similar obstacles.

I would also advise you to give it another shot. With your determination and resilience, you may cross the 680 barrier. If you could raise your score from 660 to 680, you can boost it from 680 to 700 or higher.

Don’t worry about not being able to apply to Round 1. You may target Round 2 with a stronger GMAT score. The MBA application process is highly time-consuming and demanding, and we will never advise you to rush through the application.

Of course, your linguistic versatility ( you can speak 3 languages fluently) adds a valuable dimension to your profile and highlights your adaptability and global perspective.

Good luck with your next attempt.

For more questions, please email me at poonam@myessayreview.com or fill out the free consultation form. https://myessayreview.com/free-consultation/
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
tomialves wrote:
Hello everyone!

Thank you!

Hi tomialves,

Have you tried to go through the GMAT Enhanced Score Report to understand your weak areas so that you can specifically work on them? If not, we strongly recommend doing that. It will significantly improve your preparation.

Regarding your MBA, you are better off applying in R2 with a better score than rushing through the applications for R1. We understand how frustrating and exhausting GMAT can be, but look at it as a one time effort that will pay off in the long run.

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
tomialves wrote:
Hello everyone!

Thank you!

Hello tomialves,

Sorry to know of your struggle with the GMAT.

Considering you are targeting the M7 programs, we would strongly recommend that you give the test another shot and apply in Round 2. The extra time will help you add greater value to your overall application.

All the best!
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
tomialves wrote:
Hello everyone!

Thank you!

With your excellent WE, a steep career trajectory and your ethnicity, I feel I can help you get into top brand schools, which may not be in the top 10, but are loved by industry, alumni and applicants for many reasons; the good part is their Average GMAT is 690, and with us, I can help you plan the application in a way to submit your best attempt, and yet have a chance to improve your GMAT.

Happy to talk in detail on a 1-2-1. Feel free to ping me on LinkedIn or submit your profile on our website.
GMAT Club Bot