Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Re: 680 on 2nd Attempt: Same Score Again ;( [#permalink]
Expert Reply
KabxW wrote:
Hey Everyone!

Please read this post and any experts or study buddies, if you guys can help please do so. I've f**ed up my GMAT Journey and am in a completely clueless position.

I started preparing in Oct 2020 and gave my first attempt in March 2021. Got a 680 (Q49 V32)
I was getting mock scores in the range of 710-740 and had taken EGMAT Course as well.

After that, I was sure for a reattempt and on 31 August 2021, I gave it again. I really felt that Verbal was going good and in Quants, I thought I am getting pretty tough ones so its a Q50.
But the score showed up: 680 (Q48 V34) I am not gonna lie, I was weeping in front of the computer screen.
I don't want to exaggerate but you all know the mental pressure that comes with this exam. I had literally not gone out for 3 months, had put on weight and this time, I was getting Mock scores of 750-770.
GMAT Prep Mocks 3 and 4 both showed 770 and I gave them a couple days before the actual exam.
My target schools for MiM: LBS, ESSEC, HEC and INSEAD.

I am attaching the ESR of my first attempt too. 2nd one I'll upload as soon as I get one.
I literally beg for help as this is just my dream shattering in front of my eyes.
680 is too tough to get in because my Undergrad GPA is also 7.5

I even wanted to go for deferred MBA like Yale SOM, HBS 2+2, etc. but I don't think it can happen now.

I need serious advice, should I go in for a 3rd attempt and try R2. I am planning since ESSEC is a safe school put it in for R1 and LBS, INSEAD, HEC in Round 2.
Since, I am a non-native, even IELTS is left and I think for LBS, INSEAD, HEC R1 is too early, like less than 30 days.
I beg everyone to please help me out. I am struggling, clueless and have literally no idea what to do.

Hi KabxW,

I can understand how it feel to not be able to hit your target inspite of dedicated efforts. Let me help you.

As per your score breakup, you have a good command on quant section. However, verbal is an area of concern. You verbal score V34 indicates that you are good enough with one of the 3 modules (SC, CR and RC) and you need to work on the other two. (This is general case. There can be chances that you are average in two and below average in the other one. For more specific understanding, we need to get into the details)

How to Ace your Verbal Prep?

For GMAT Verbal, it is very important that you follow the right methodology and the logical approach. Your focus has to be on eliminating four incorrect choices rather than choosing the right one. The key is to develop a solid understanding of the concepts that are typically tested on the GMAT and master the process skills that are required to solve GMAT questions. Only then, you will be able to smartly avoid the traps set by the test makers.

Before you start learning, it's important to understand what is actually tested using the questions. Each module in Verbal (SC, CR and RC) has to be approached in a different way. For example, before you start learning the concepts of SC, you need to understand that SC questions on GMAT test your ability to convey the right meaning without any ambiguity. So, it's important to approach them from a meaning stand-point. You might have often come across answer choices which are both grammatically correct and convey a logical meaning but are indeed incorrect because they do not convey the intended meaning. So, the process to approach SC questions is to:
• Comprehend the original meaning of the sentence
• Identify errors if any (both grammatical and meaning wise)
• Eliminate answer choices which either are grammatically incorrect or do not convey the intended meaning

Similarly, you need to prepare for RC and CR as well in a structured and efficient manner. You have to follow a methodical and systematic approach while solving the questions in order to work on your accuracy and increase your score. For example,
• In CR, you have to understand the argument, identify the premise and the conclusion and then pre-think the answer before looking at the solutions.
• In RC, you need to have the right reading strategies to understand the inferences which are not directly stated in the passage.

Having said that, I would like to know what is the approach you followed during the test along with a few other things (including your exact pain points) so that I can suggest you a more structured plan and help you improve. If you wish to discuss this over a call, you can schedule a free consultation call using the below link. We can even discuss your ESR together this way. Considering the effort, you have put, I would really like to know the concerns and help you improve your score.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi, I sent you a PM. All the best and feel free to reach out.
GMAT Club Bot