It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 19:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help I want 750+...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Please help I want 750+... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 00:56
Hello,

My situation is quite hopeless, discouraging, and frustrating now; I've decided to write on gmat club and ask for your valuable pieces of advice. I've been trying to think how to amend my study strategies but still cannot come up with any solution. I would be indeed appreciated if you give me some recommendation.

First, it is quite shameful that I have to admit that I have never really studied in my undergrad (but now that I am graduated I regret it so much so I've decided to focus on GMAT for my master's application) Even had 3 F's in my bachelors... I have the trashiest-ever GPA in mid 2's out of 4.3 scale.
Actually, I have taken GMAT last year when I was in my senior year. I got 700 (v39 q47 official score). Well since I was a kid with 3 F's back then who did not want to study..... I just looked through some OG questions two three days before the exam. Even without studying hard, I got 700. So I believed that 750+ would be quite attainable. But I was totally wrong.

I've been preparing for the exam since December. When I first started my GMAT study I just wanted to check my starting score. I took the GMAT Prep and I got 710 and 720. Everything did not seem so challenging until I sped up my study. Then, regretting about my bachelor days and aiming for 750+, I spent almost two months on GMAT (full-time study). Somehow my scores were going down. (?!!!!? I still do not understand why) My verbal score decreased by 5, to 33-34 range. Frustrated about my progress, I started to work on more and more SC problems (I think that I've worked on 800 questions so far), I even made handwritten error logs for the CR, SC, and quant problems that I missed. But things were not getting any better. The more I study, the more I started to lose track. Two three weeks before the GMAT, I purchased two GMAT prep tests and I scored 680 (q 50 v 32) and 700 (q 50 v34). The results were extremely disappointing so I did not take any further mock exams.

And my GMAT yesterday, I was running out of time especially for the quant. I had to guess 5-6 questions for the verbal and more than half for the quantitative section. Boom! I got 690 (Q44 V39)...
I used to score 700 on the real GMAT and 710-720 on GMAT prep without studying. Then I studied full time, for two months. Then my score went down to 690? I still cannot find out what the problem is. Well surely time management was the biggest problem yesterday, because I was double-checking the first half of the questions on quant for perfection... (I wanted 51, but ended up with 44) MY FAULT... But other than the time management, despite two months of study, things were not getting any better, actually worse. So please give me some suggestions about studying strategies for CR, SC, and RC.

Also I would also like to know how to achieve 51 on Quant. I used to score 50 all the time on every GMAT prep tests. And I did not have a major issue with quant. But still, I want to know what makes you 51 and how to further improve. Please share your tips. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by downy18 on 20 Jan 2018, 06:14, edited 2 times in total.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.6
CAT Tests
Re: Please help I want 750+... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 03:33
This post received
KUDOS
downy18 wrote:
Hello,

My situation is quite hopeless, discouraging, and frustrating now; I've decided to write on gmat club and ask for your valuable pieces of advice. I've been trying to think how to amend my study strategies but still cannot come up with any solution. I would be indeed appreciated if you give me some recommendation.

Hi downy18,

Your situation is actually quite common among GMAT takers. I started my GMAT with 740 in GMAT Prep 1. After serious study, I only got 680 in the GMAT. The same pattern applies to some of my friends...

After study, generally, you will have a high expectation which affects your timing management skills. In addition, you may study wrong materials and wrong methods or not have enough time to master new methods.

Study one again, focus on timing management, using official materials...

In addition, not many people can increase 50 scores in GMAT after 700 just by hard work. Many people want the 750 score as you and can put the same effort as you but the majority can't. Stories like from 400 to 750 are popular on gmatclub because people who couldn't increase their scores normally did not post, so we have an impression that increase the gmat score is easy but the fact is different. Therefore you need to manage your expectation as well.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V46
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
downy18 wrote:
Hello,

First, it is quite shameful that I have to admit that I have never really studied in my undergrad (but now that I am graduated I regret it so much so I've decided to focus on GMAT for my master's application) Even had 3 F's in my bachelors... I have the trashiest-ever GPA in mid 2's out of 4.3 scale.
Actually, I have taken GMAT last year when I was in my senior year. I got 700 (v39 q47). Well since I was a kid with 3 F's back then who did not want to study..... I just looked through some OG questions two three days before the exam. Even without studying hard, I got 700. So I believed that 750+ would be quite attainable. But I was totally wrong.

I've been preparing for the exam since December. When I first started my GMAT study I just wanted to check my starting score. I took the GMAT Prep and I got 710 and 720. Everything did not seem so challenging until I sped up my study. Then, regretting about my bachelor days and aiming for 750+, I spent almost two months on GMAT (full-time study). Somehow my scores were going down. (?!!!!? I still do not understand why) My verbal score decreased by 5, to 33-34 range. Frustrated about my progress, I started to work on more and more SC problems (I think that I've worked on 800 questions so far), I even made handwritten error logs for the CR, SC, and quant problems that I missed. But things were not getting any better. The more I study, the more I started to lose track. Two three weeks before the GMAT, I purchased two GMAT prep tests and I scored 680 (q 50 v 32) and 700 (q 50 v34). The results were extremely disappointing so I did not take any further mock exams.

And my GMAT yesterday, I was running out of time especially for the quant. I had to guess 5-6 questions for the verbal and more than half for the quantitative section. Boom! I got 690 (Q44 V39)...
I used to score 700 on the real GMAT and 710-720 on GMAT prep without studying. Then I studied full time, for two months. Then my score went down to 690? I still cannot find out what the problem is. Well surely time management was the biggest problem yesterday, because I was double-checking the first half of the questions on quant for perfection... (I wanted 51, but ended up with 44) MY FAULT... But other than the time management, despite two months of study, things were not getting any better, actually worse. So please give me some suggestions about studying strategies for CR, SC, and RC.

Also I would also like to know how to achieve 51 on Quant. I used to score 50 all the time on every GMAT prep tests. And I did not have a major issue with quant. But still, I want to know what makes you 51 and how to further improve. Please share your tips. Thank you in advance.

Hello!

Your should never get discouraged by GMAT, never every! It is your worst enemy. For me, the first time I took the test to see my performance I got a quite high score on the verbal section. I settled for studying and after one month of intensive preparation, I took the second test and got the exact same score. Only, the verbal score was way down. This being said, I. want you to understand that the verbal is really tricky and requires lots of work. Keep up the work, try getting q49- q51 solid. After this, focus on the verbal and get into details. Most of all, pay attention to your spirit, don't get distracted or discouraged. I am sure you will be able to ace the gmat. It is so rare that someone takes the gmat mock and gets 700 the first time. It means you have potential you just need to work hard to live up to it! Good luck! :-) :-) :-) :-)

----------------------------------

Kudos are more than welcome!! :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 06:21
chibilovespurple wrote:
downy18 wrote:
Hello,

Hi downy18,

Your situation is actually quite common among GMAT takers. I started my GMAT with 740 in GMAT Prep 1. After serious study, I only got 680 in the GMAT. The same pattern applies to some of my friends...

After study, generally, you will have a high expectation which affects your timing management skills. In addition, you may study wrong materials and wrong methods or not have enough time to master new methods.

Study one again, focus on timing management, using official materials...

In addition, not many people can increase 50 scores in GMAT after 700 just by hard work. Many people want the 750 score as you and can put the same effort as you but the majority can't. Stories like from 400 to 750 are popular on gmatclub because people who couldn't increase their scores normally did not post, so we have an impression that increase the gmat score is easy but the fact is different. Therefore you need to manage your expectation as well.

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. Maybe my first impression on GMAT was too good and I was totally wrong... as I thought increasing the score by 50+ would not be that hard.
May I know how you prepared your verbal section? Especially SC and CR? I want to score 40+ I still don't know how to amend my study plan. Help me figure out with this please. The more I study, the more I get this feeling that I am seriously lost in the middle of nowhere. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 06:28
AniK97 wrote:
downy18 wrote:
Hello,

Actually, I have taken GMAT last year when I was in my senior year. I got 700 (v39 q47). Well since I was a kid with 3 F's back then who did not want to study..... I just looked through some OG questions two three days before the exam. Even without studying hard, I got 700. So I believed that 750+ would be quite attainable. But I was totally wrong.

Hello!

Your should never get discouraged by GMAT, never every! It is your worst enemy. For me, the first time I took the test to see my performance I got a quite high score on the verbal section. I settled for studying and after one month of intensive preparation, I took the second test and got the exact same score. Only, the verbal score was way down. This being said, I. want you to understand that the verbal is really tricky and requires lots of work. Keep up the work, try getting q49- q51 solid. After this, focus on the verbal and get into details. Most of all, pay attention to your spirit, don't get distracted or discouraged. I am sure you will be able to ace the gmat. It is so rare that someone takes the gmat mock and gets 700 the first time. It means you have potential you just need to work hard to live up to it! Good luck! :-) :-) :-) :-)

----------------------------------

Kudos are more than welcome!! :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
I can see that you have an amazing score. May I know how you reached that score? Any tips or strategies to share? For quant and verbal? First, how to score 51 on the quant section? Even though my time management on the real GMAT this time was the critical factor of the failure, I've scored 50 on quant on mock exams during my study (I missed 5-6 problems) , but somehow never scored over that. ... And how to tackle the CR and SC? I've read through some CR notes, but I still haven't figured out an ideal way to do CR. Also the SC, somehow I started to miss more and more questions as I studied. I've read quite a lot of grammar notes and gone through almost 800 questions, but my SC did not really go up. I think that I score around 38-39 ish but I still don't know how to improve further... :sad: Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 06:37
Did you get ESR? It might help to pinpoint your weak spots

本当のライバルは昨日までの自分

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 08:04
downy18 wrote:

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. Maybe my first impression on GMAT was too good and I was totally wrong... as I thought increasing the score by 50+ would not be that hard.
May I know how you prepared your verbal section? Especially SC and CR? I want to score 40+ I still don't know how to amend my study plan. Help me figure out with this please. The more I study, the more I get this feeling that I am seriously lost in the middle of nowhere. Thank you.

Hi downy,

I am only get 38 in verbal so may not be the ideal person to answer your question.

For your information, I got 770 (V44) in GMAT Prep (fresh test) and 750 (V42) in Veritas CAT just before my real test so I have to accept that I am the type who will underperform in the real GMAT. I have several friends who face the same issue. From my sample, among 10 people taking GMAT, 7 will get lower score in the real test than in practice test, only 3 get the same or higher score, and about 4 got lower in the retake.

Positively, I increased my official gmat score from 680 to 710 to 730, so I believe studying will help; however, may not as fast as you expected. I have gone through many studying materials to know what work for me... and it takes time. If you have enough money and short of time, you may think about hiring a private tutor who will lead you study more effectively.

Last edited by chibilovespurple on 20 Jan 2018, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 08:13
chibilovespurple wrote:
downy18 wrote:

Hello,

Hi downy,

I am only get 38 in verbal so may not be the ideal person to answer your question.

For your information, I got 770 (V44) in GMAT Prep (fresh test) and 750 (V42) in Veritas CAT just before my real test so I have to accept that I am the type who will underperform in the real GMAT. I have several friends who face the same issue. From my sample, among 10 people taking GMAT, 7 will get lower score in the real test than in practice test, only 3 get the same or higher score, and about 4 got lower in the take.

Positively, I increased my official gmat score from 680 to 710 to 730, so I believe studying will help; however, may not as fast as you expected. I have gone through many studying materials to know what work for me... and it takes time. If you have enough money and short of time, you may think about hiring a private tutor who will lead you study more effectively.

Thank you for your recommendation
Any thoughts on why most people used to score less on the actual gmat than on the mock exams?
Your help would be indeed appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 08:22
downy18 wrote:
Any thoughts on why most people used to score less on the actual gmat than on the mock exams?

There are many reasons:

1. Some people will underperform under stress, pressure and high expectation
2. The exam condition you take at home is not a real exam condition
3. Questions from GMAT Prep are posted somewhere in Gmatclub and you may have solved them or the "clone" version of those questions are in your studying materials
4. GMAC makes the real test more difficult

Last edited by chibilovespurple on 20 Jan 2018, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 08:29
chibilovespurple wrote:
downy18 wrote:

There are many reasons:

1. Some people will underperform under stress, pressure and high expectation
2. The exam condition you take at home is not a real exam condition
3. Questions from GMAT Prep are posted somewhere in Gmatclub and you may have solved it or the "clone" version of those questions are in your studying materials
4. GMAC makes the real test more difficult

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Very helpful they are. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Re: Please help I want 750+...   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2018, 08:29

Please help I want 750+...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap