GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 22:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710: Second Attempt - V27 to V38: 11 points improvement in Verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
710: Second Attempt - V27 to V38: 11 points improvement in Verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

First of all, I’m grateful to bb and GMAT Club community for this great creation and content addition for all GMAT aspirants. GMAT Club surely acts as a backbone for GMAT preparation.

I’m a non-native English speaker and tried out my hands on GMAT twice. Being an engineer, I was clear from the beginning that I can manage Quant part but Verbal would need more attention.

First Attempt:

It was self-preparation mode. I followed mock heavy approach as I thought learning exam pattern was the crucial (and perhaps the only) part of the test. After solving OG, MGMAT’s SC and Powerscore’s CR bible in around twenty days I gave first mock on VeritasPREP and ended up getting 630 (Q49 V27). I was disappointed as this result was way below my target of 700+. I purchased all Veritas’s mocks, GMAT PREP EXAM Pack #1. In total, I gave 8 mocks with score range 630-680 in ten days.

My first test result was no different as I ended up getting 650 (Q50, V27, IR 2, AWA 5). There were several learning points:

1. Mock based learning was not for me as there was a work to be done at the bottom level.

The solution for all issues – Score plateau, Time management, and Dilemma between 2 or 3 answers choices – lies in Conceptual and Methodological learning.

2. I started with the Verbal section in the exam and initial settlement with the exam environment cost me points. I went blank for 4-5 minutes and that pain of losing 4-5 minutes reflected on the whole section. I decided it is about getting confidence at first hand, so starting with the Quant section will help me get acquainted with the setup.

3. I could not understand what happened at the IR part. In mocks, I had always followed all sections routine with IR scores 6-8. In hurry of attempting all the questions, I didn’t focus on many questions. So, the conclusion was TO FOCUS ON QUALITY RATHER THAN QUANTITY.

To start resolution of point #1, I approached GMAT CLUB and found e-GMAT’s VLP course appealing to my need. Its 4 points guarantee, various success story substantiated the decision and I purchased the VLP course. It turned out to be the best decision in my GMAT journey.

Second Attempt:

I started with the Master Comprehension course and realized the crucial point of improvement in my learning at the very first step. It is a must step for any non-native speakers and would take a day to complete the course and next 2-3 days to be the second nature of your reading ability.

Then I was ready for SC section. e-GMAT’s 3-point meaning based strategy was helpful. ERROR ANALYSIS step added the pre-thinking perspective and most of the time I found myself equipped attack the answer choices with confidence. Emphasising of first two steps made the POE step easy and less time-consuming.

CR’s pre-thinking step was a real savior in increasing ability and productive time. After acclimatization with the process, I was hitting 85+% accuracy in CR.

Your preparation is not complete without Scholaranium practice. This was the tool which provided the results of the whole section learning. It was a platform to polish the learning on the particular section before moving to another. Ability quizzes were on the tougher side but surely boosted the confidence level. Here again, I saw the importance of Quality over Quantity. I hardly solved half of the scholaranium questions but felt confident about the gained learning from the questions. This time, I gave a single mock (Re-take of GMAT PREP #3) two days before the test.

Timings issue:

My humble advice to everyone following whatever strategy is to BE LOYAL to your strategy. Changing the strategy frequently won’t help. Even I had solved OG during my first attempt, I again solved the OG as prescribed in the e-GMAT dashboard. On a personal note, when I started following e-GMAT’s strategy, my average time for SC questions was 4+ minutes and for CR & RC 5+ minutes.

Timing is a by-product of your skill and concepts. It will never improve unless we focus on the real cause. Here, I would advise all to go through e-GMAT’s Strategy Webinar #2. Even after practicing the scholaranium, my average SC time was never close to 90 sec but was 110 sec. For CR & RC it was 2m10sec. Still, I was confident of the improvement as I was targeting around 37 questions in Verbal.

Test Day:

D-Day did not throw any surprise as an experience of the first attempt came handy. I started off well with the quant section. Verbal section did not throw any surprise and I smelled a score of 35+ after first fifteen questions.

I was thrilled to see a score of 710 with a staggering 11 points improvement on the verbal section.

Final Score: 710 (Q 49, V38, IR 8, AWA 5).

PS: I guess 95%+ of prep time to Verbal section cost me a point in quant, otherwise would have fetched 10/20 points more overall :cool:
Director
Director
P
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 710: Second Attempt - V27 to V38: 11 points improvement in Verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 05:34
Congratulations for 710. :thumbup:

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S
Re: 710: Second Attempt - V27 to V38: 11 points improvement in Verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 10:00
chintan – really good improvement in Verbal (47 percentile to 85 percentile) and a very good overall score (710 - 91 percentile). I am happy to see that you spent time on Master Comprehension course and perfected the methodology. Also Kudos to you for being loyal to the prethinking and meaning based approaches despite taking a lot longer to solve questions initially. What was your timing for SC and CR questions towards the end of your preparation.

Also, I am sorry to hear that your score in Quant dropped. Could you feel the difference in difficulty level of questions thrown at you.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Re: 710: Second Attempt - V27 to V38: 11 points improvement in Verbal   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 10:00

710: Second Attempt - V27 to V38: 11 points improvement in Verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR MAY
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until May 31
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap