GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2019
Posts: 2
710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 16:07
2
Just retook the GMAT last weekend, just over a month (33 days) since my first attempt. Boosted my score by 20 points from 710 (Q46/V42/IR8/AW5) to 730 (Q49/V41/IR8). A little disappointed in the verbal drop, but I was a history major with minors in other humanities, so I'm hoping my academic record to speak to my verbal ability. I have a pretty weak record on math, so I'm glad that my quant is above where I was hoping it would be. Order was quantitative, verbal, IR, writing.

For the first attempt, I'd taken about 3 months to study through the MGMAT quant books, including about 3 weeks of going through the quant section of the 2018 OG with the MGMAT Navigator. I studied for verbal for about 3 hours, total. Took the test, had some test center issues (don't take the GMAT on a military base, go to a real testing center, even if the drive is longer. Seriously, it's worth it), so I decided to retake it. Figured I may as well study more.

Found out about TTP, so I worked through most of their curriculum. I did it the "right" way through about half of it, then started getting crunched for time, so I basically skimmed the second half, and ended up reading through the equation guide for geometry for the first time in the test center parking lot (glad I saw the hexagon area equation, saved me on a question). 100% worth it, but the company is absolutely right when it says that its order is better than skipping around. I have no doubt I would have gotten a 50 had I absorbed the later material more effectively. I got through about 55% of the questions according to the analytics page.

For verbal, I spent about an hour a day, rotating between CR/RC/SC questions in the 2018 and 2019 OGs. I thought it was effective. I was clearly wrong. I was pretty disappointed in the score drop, but also have no plans to retake it because I need to shift into application mode. Other people can probably recommend better verbal strategies.

I did not touch IR because I had never had any issues with any of the IR questions I'd seen in practice tests. I read a couple example 6 AWA essays from the OGs, we'll see how that worked out in a few days/weeks.

I was pretty much just studying for the GMAT for the month - I'd wake up, study notes/flash cards for 30-45 minutes, go to work, take a few quizzes at lunch, go home, and study through 930pm or so. Weekends were pretty much 10-12 hours of studying a day. Don't do this to yourself. Seriously, take some time off. It's worth it. You'll learn more. You won't be tired all the time. You won't hate yourself. This has been the first time I've been glad that I'm in a long-distance relationship, because my fiance would probably have murdered me after a week.

I only took one official practice test during the month, but had previously taken 2 officials and 6 MGMAT ones, all under test conditions, so I was used to the time and stress of the test itself.

I also started meditating after the first test, roughly 20 minutes a day. Not sure if it helped on the second test, but it's made me a bit less anxious overall, so it likely did not hurt.

Bottom line: Do the entire TTP curriculum and give yourself enough time to do it. You probably need at a bare minimum 3 months if you're going to be studying verbal at the same time, giving yourself an actual day off (of both work and GMAT) each week, and generally having normal social interactions with people.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17980
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 22:17
1
Welcome to GMAT Club marine247123! Great score! Congratulations on improving your Quant quite a bit and yes, it is natural for the area you are not focusing on to sag a bit during the re-take. It happens almost every time....

Frankly, your 710 was great, but the Q49 and 730 will allow you to open any door, esp as a History major and not a quant-heavy applicant. Congratulations on your improvement and getting it done in time for the applications!

Any schools in particular you are considering?
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Feb 2015
Posts: 886
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 22:29
marine247123 wrote:
Just retook the GMAT last weekend, just over a month (33 days) since my first attempt. Boosted my score by 20 points from 710 (Q46/V42/IR8/AW5) to 730 (Q49/V41/IR8). A little disappointed in the verbal drop, but I was a history major with minors in other humanities, so I'm hoping my academic record to speak to my verbal ability. I have a pretty weak record on math, so I'm glad that my quant is above where I was hoping it would be. Order was quantitative, verbal, IR, writing.

For the first attempt, I'd taken about 3 months to study through the MGMAT quant books, including about 3 weeks of going through the quant section of the 2018 OG with the MGMAT Navigator. I studied for verbal for about 3 hours, total. Took the test, had some test center issues (don't take the GMAT on a military base, go to a real testing center, even if the drive is longer. Seriously, it's worth it), so I decided to retake it. Figured I may as well study more.

Found out about TTP, so I worked through most of their curriculum. I did it the "right" way through about half of it, then started getting crunched for time, so I basically skimmed the second half, and ended up reading through the equation guide for geometry for the first time in the test center parking lot (glad I saw the hexagon area equation, saved me on a question). 100% worth it, but the company is absolutely right when it says that its order is better than skipping around. I have no doubt I would have gotten a 50 had I absorbed the later material more effectively. I got through about 55% of the questions according to the analytics page.

For verbal, I spent about an hour a day, rotating between CR/RC/SC questions in the 2018 and 2019 OGs. I thought it was effective. I was clearly wrong. I was pretty disappointed in the score drop, but also have no plans to retake it because I need to shift into application mode. Other people can probably recommend better verbal strategies.

I did not touch IR because I had never had any issues with any of the IR questions I'd seen in practice tests. I read a couple example 6 AWA essays from the OGs, we'll see how that worked out in a few days/weeks.

I was pretty much just studying for the GMAT for the month - I'd wake up, study notes/flash cards for 30-45 minutes, go to work, take a few quizzes at lunch, go home, and study through 930pm or so. Weekends were pretty much 10-12 hours of studying a day. Don't do this to yourself. Seriously, take some time off. It's worth it. You'll learn more. You won't be tired all the time. You won't hate yourself. This has been the first time I've been glad that I'm in a long-distance relationship, because my fiance would probably have murdered me after a week.

I only took one official practice test during the month, but had previously taken 2 officials and 6 MGMAT ones, all under test conditions, so I was used to the time and stress of the test itself.

I also started meditating after the first test, roughly 20 minutes a day. Not sure if it helped on the second test, but it's made me a bit less anxious overall, so it likely did not hurt.

Bottom line: Do the entire TTP curriculum and give yourself enough time to do it. You probably need at a bare minimum 3 months if you're going to be studying verbal at the same time, giving yourself an actual day off (of both work and GMAT) each week, and generally having normal social interactions with people.


Congrats on a getting a very nice score on GMAT. Both your Verbal scores are great scores. Q49 with V41 is a well-balanced score. Thanks for sharing the debrief. All the best for the applications.
_________________
"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

_________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 2
710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Aug 2019, 02:07
Congrats marine247123 for this wonderful score and thanks for your nice debrief.
I have some query for TTP@ScottTargetTestPrep,Just recently bought the package for 4 months.I am bit worried whether I'll be able to complete the course within stipulated time.As with work,I am only able to give 2_2.5hrs in morning (however i truly understands the speed depends from person to person).With your experience for TTP ,I could relate how much more time should I take out for completing all modules(consider me avg student with Engineering background).

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by ShubhamSingh1994 on 07 Aug 2019, 22:55.
Last edited by ShubhamSingh1994 on 08 Aug 2019, 02:07, edited 3 times in total.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17980
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 23:01
1
Good question. You should tag ScottTargetTestPrep so that he gets a notification.

My suggestion for you would be not to stretch your prep beyond four months and definitely not go over six. Not because of any financial reasons but rather from the learning perspective. You don’t want to study for years or even months. You want to be done in 12 weeks if possible. Many reasons for that - memory, endurance, burn out, etc. don’t recommend stretching it out.

Good luck!
BB.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2018
Posts: 4
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 01:28
ScottTargetTestPrep TTP should start verbal also.. or else should provide their platform for verbal to someone else. The UI and methodology is great.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 03:38
1
ShubhamSingh1994 wrote:
Congrats marine247123 for this wonderful score and thanks for your nice debrief.
I have some query for TTP@ScottTargetTestPrep,Just recently bought the package for 4 months.I am bit worried whether I'll be able to complete the course within stipulated time.As with work,I am only able to give 2_2.5hrs in morning (however i truly understands the speed depends from person to person).With your experience for TTP ,I could relate how much more time should I take out for completing all modules(consider me avg student with Engineering background).

Posted from my mobile device


4 months is about 120 days, call it 100 so you get some time off. That gives you over 200 hours. My best guess is that my total prep over that month was around 120 hours, including verbal work. I got through just over half of the problems, but I spent a lot of time working on factorials and ratios, which I legitimately never really understood until a few weeks ago.

If you're able to squeeze in a quiz at lunch at work, that can also help (that's about another 5 quizzes a week)
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 7411
Location: United States (CA)
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 07:52
2
ShubhamSingh1994 wrote:
Congrats marine247123 for this wonderful score and thanks for your nice debrief.
I have some query for TTP@ScottTargetTestPrep,Just recently bought the package for 4 months.I am bit worried whether I'll be able to complete the course within stipulated time.As with work,I am only able to give 2_2.5hrs in morning (however i truly understands the speed depends from person to person).With your experience for TTP ,I could relate how much more time should I take out for completing all modules(consider me avg student with Engineering background).

Posted from my mobile device


Hi ShubhamSingh1994,

If you are studying around 17 hours a week, then you should be able to complete the course in 4-months. That said, as I tell all our students, be sure to go at YOUR OWN PACE. At the end of the day, as long as you follow the study plan and complete the course, IN FULL, you’l be able to dominate GMAT quant on test day. If you have any further questions regarding TTP, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Let’s do this!!
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 7411
Location: United States (CA)
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 19:13
1
Hi marine24712,

Great job!! I’m so pumped that TTP was able to help you hit Q49. Good luck with things moving forward.
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 7411
Location: United States (CA)
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 11:19
dikshitratan wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep TTP should start verbal also.. or else should provide their platform for verbal to someone else. The UI and methodology is great.

Posted from my mobile device


We are working on it! Verbal should be ready to go by October. Stay tuned!!
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Posts: 226
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 08:52
Congrats for achieving 730 (q49 v41) !! For people with major in History, q49 is really impressive.

Which schools do you tend to apply?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 30 Nov 2017
Posts: 185
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 12:10
Congratulations on your great score. Wishing you all the best in your applications.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Be Braver, you cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2019, 12:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

710 to 730 in a month (Q46 to Q49)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne