GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     November 18, 2018

     November 18, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 12:25
1
1
manishkhare wrote:
Congratulations Harley1980,
You did it !! .
All the best for your application.


Thank you manishkhare

By the way you quite strongly inspired me in RC ;)

I usually solved the official RC and then I saw your results and always was amused how you do these RCs with such incredible speed ;)
so I always tried to do second and third attempt and approach to your speed ;)
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 131
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 20:40
Thanks Harley1980,
I always consider RC as Critical Reasoning Questions. I read the passage and identify the conclusion and the approach taken by the author to justify the conclusion .
Then summarize the passage into a simpler form consisting of 4-5 lines.

I am inspired by you .My first experience with GMAT was not good. I am hopeful that second try will help me to achieve my objective.
_________________

Regards,
Manish Khare
"Every thing is fine at the end. If it is not fine ,then it is not the end "

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 08:38
1
you are truly inspirational, my d-day is in less than a month. i was completely lost until i came through your post. earnestly admire your hard work and persistency and I wish i had your capability to devote yourself to something. truly agree with your point on Bunuel he is like a magician and solves adverse problems with few simple actions. by any chance if you are reading this bunuel, please lend me your brain just for an hour or so.

anyway, thank you for your great debrief you gave a legitimate reason to believe in myself once more and to fully commit myself on preparation. thank you again and again
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Posts: 2
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 12:35
1
Hi Harley,
Your story is quite inspirational for a person like me.
I gave the exam today and was shattered after seeing my verbal score of 28. i have always scored above 35 in all of mocks, moreover in gmat prep the verbal score hovered around 40.
i am in self doubt at present and would appreciate if you advice me how to improve the verbal score to at least 38.
Pls suggest an online course if required!!
Waiting for your response because i want to give the exam again as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2015
Posts: 2
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 23:00
1
Hi Harley, I actually was surprised to see another Ukrainian who took the gmat and scored well. Congratulations!

I am Ukrainian too. I read this post of yours some time ago. It was helpful.

Today I had my second gmat attempt. I took the gmat the first time a month ago and scored not as good as I would want to - 650. But today, I got 720! I am pretty happy about it. Didn't expect such a score.

Cheers!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 12:15
zoloo wrote:
you are truly inspirational, my d-day is in less than a month. i was completely lost until i came through your post. earnestly admire your hard work and persistency and I wish i had your capability to devote yourself to something. truly agree with your point on Bunuel he is like a magician and solves adverse problems with few simple actions. by any chance if you are reading this bunuel, please lend me your brain just for an hour or so.

anyway, thank you for your great debrief you gave a legitimate reason to believe in myself once more and to fully commit myself on preparation. thank you again and again


Thanks for the kind words zoloo, I hope you will achieve your dream score ;)
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 12:24
3
kohli555 wrote:
Hi Harley,
Your story is quite inspirational for a person like me.
I gave the exam today and was shattered after seeing my verbal score of 28. i have always scored above 35 in all of mocks, moreover in gmat prep the verbal score hovered around 40.
i am in self doubt at present and would appreciate if you advice me how to improve the verbal score to at least 38.
Pls suggest an online course if required!!
Waiting for your response because i want to give the exam again as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!!


Hello kohli555.
I never thought about myself as about a verbal specialist and because of this I wrote nothing about a Verbal part.

Here are my pieces of advice but take them with a grain of salt.

About CR
I have a logical mind and Critical reasoning has a trap for me. I never can understand why I should looking for some conclusion or premise. I can find an answer without all these stupid rituals. And I was right a lot of times. But a lot of times is like 50%, not more. And a sure thing we need more for a decent score.

I am not sure whether you heard about EGmat CR approach.
Long time I completely did not understand their approach about CR. Prethinking answer? How can I pre-think answer? I am not a Nostradamus: all I should do is read answers and find a correct one.
But I always struggle with BoldFace questions and in one moment start to read articles and recommendations about this type of questions. And almost all recommendations says: find the conclusion and it relations to boldface parts. That was the Damascene moment. EGMAT says smart things but invents not so cool term for this. It is not "pre-thinking" (don't know why but I always think that this pre-thinking of the answer) it is "finding a link" between premise and conclusion. That is it. We should find how one phrase connected to the conclusion. If you find it you can easily find an answer because it will affect this link.

About RC
I do not know why but I never met any advice about vocabulary. I think this is really important part of RC and CR. One word can easily change the answer. Learning all words from RC passages is too extreme and very often GMAC include words that you do not need at all. Shist, big tits (no this is not that you think about ;) this is the word from animals world, algae, aardvark and so on. You will meet such words in RC, but you can easily substitute it with X and solve the questions.
So for me I design three step process of solving RC passages:
1) Number of questions * 1:30 = Total time. Read and solve questions during the total time. If not have time - guess.
2) Read passage second time and make a second attempt on each question. Take as much time as want but you should give a correct answer.
3) Third attempt but with using a dictionary. Read unknow words and try to understand: is this word change something in your previous answer? If yes - you should remember this word.

After these steps, you can easily understand what is you problem: is it time issues or vocabulary issues.
For vocabulary issues, I recommend using Anki.

For time issues - only reading practice. But I never understand why people recommend reading some other sources. We preparing for GMAT so for reading practice we should use GMAT passages and during this practice we should answer the questions. No other practice can give your development in this type of questions. Don't waste your precious preparation time on other sources.

This is debatable claim, but this is only my unprofessional opinion so I hope you will forgive me my tone

For main idea questions, I met some interesting way of solution from Ron and I wrote the post about this way.
Try it - maybe it will help
how-to-solve-main-idea-questions-without-full-understanding-of-rc-203549.html#p1560699


This article from Magoosh was quite helpful for me.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/curiosity- ... n-success/


Also, for me works this strategy from BB:
"I prefer this strategy (it helped me to get from inconsistent 50% correct RC to about 80-90% and eventually in a 96th percentile in verbal). It is outlined in various amount of details in Kaplan, PowerScore, and MGMAT books.

The idea is fairly straightforward - while critically reading the passage, you build a mental map, stopping to paraphrase after each paragraph and at the end to quickly summarize the passage. The strategy also involves critically reading - meaning constantly asking why a certain sentence/phrase is there, how they add to the development, and change the tone. It is important to master each of these elements before actually trying to put the entire strategy together. At first it does feel awkward - almost like wearing an armor suit that is clunky and seems useless - useless until GMAT shoots an arrow at you that is. Some of my challenges were questions such as - why do I need to stop (waste valuable time) and paraphrase the passage? (that answer comes in gradually). Also, how to actually stay interested and keep my thoughts from wandering around as I read? And finally - how to read critically? It took a while to learn to pick every word and notice subtle differences in tone (words such as, however, but, still, and examples help reveal author's true intention). I trusted the strategy and strangely enough it worked. I could see improvement within just a week. My performance became a lot more consistent and the strategy was becoming a lot more natural. I was also starting to catch little traps planted in the text and noticing tone a lot more than before."

About SC. All my last preparation month I read explanations of RON on manhattanprep.com. Ron is like Bunuel in Verbal ;)
Also, I really like his Thursdays with Ron on SC topic.

About OG and OVR questions. I did them all too, but I realized that many of answers I just remember or guess.
This is a wrong strategy for use OG questions.
You should see every mistake in question. It will be perfect if you will write all mistakes and after this compare your answer with OG explanations.
The same tactic with GMATPrep questions - find the explanation on Manhattan prep forum and read all comments - there is a lot of useful information.
Sometimes it is boring because they have from 1 to 6 pages of explanations for each question but it is worth it.

But I will be honest SC is my weakest topic in GMAT so take this piece of advice with even more then with a grain of salt ;)

Good luck in your preparations ;)
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 12:26
alexibiz wrote:
Hi Harley, I actually was surprised to see another Ukrainian who took the gmat and scored well. Congratulations!

I am Ukrainian too. I read this post of yours some time ago. It was helpful.

Today I had my second gmat attempt. I took the gmat the first time a month ago and scored not as good as I would want to - 650. But today, I got 720! I am pretty happy about it. Didn't expect such a score.

Cheers!


Hello alexibiz

My congratulations: this is the really cool result. So you will apply to some great schools I think ;)
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 131
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 22:31
2
kohli555,
RC is probably the most neglected section in Verbal. You can chalk out a strategy for RC and practice. RC takes time but once you have build the competency you can score well .

1. RC is an extension of CR .Many RC questions are about inference and conclusion.
2. Whenever you are reading a passage ,summarize each paragraph . So for example a passage consisting of 3 paragraphs of 8 lines each should be reduced to a summary of 10-12 lines .
3. The summary will help you in answering the purpose question .
4. If the passage is dense or contains technical terms replace the terms with variables such as x,y .It will make for a easier read. Never try to understand the meaning of each and every term of a technical passage.
GMAT expects you to answer questions based on the information based in passage.You do not need technical expertise to answer the questions
5. Finally ,if the answer choices appear abstract try to eliminate the wrong ones .

All the best for the test .
_________________

Regards,
Manish Khare
"Every thing is fine at the end. If it is not fine ,then it is not the end "

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Posts: 2
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 01:47
Hi Harley,

Thanks a lot for sparing your time and advising in detail.
I am sure your valuable experience and words will be very useful for me.
At last, could you please advice if Egmat online course is better or the aristotle SC grail book to improve the accuracy for SC.
I was considering to subscribe for Egmat online course because i have heard its really helpful to improve the SC accuracy.

Thanks for your co-operation!!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 03:48
kohli555 wrote:
Hi Harley,

Thanks a lot for sparing your time and advising in detail.
I am sure your valuable experience and words will be very useful for me.
At last, could you please advice if Egmat online course is better or the aristotle SC grail book to improve the accuracy for SC.
I was considering to subscribe for Egmat online course because i have heard its really helpful to improve the SC accuracy.

Thanks for your co-operation!!

Hello kohli555.

I took EGmat on-demand course and I really liked it (SC part)
CR was quite good, but I think that CR bible is much better.
RC was useless, but IMHO this is a usual situation for all courses.

Aristotle SC book is not bad, but I think that it is insufficient for a 700+ result.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 81
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 04:51
Congrats Harley1980 for a great score. Your debrief is a great motivation for the first timers. Thanks for that! :-D
_________________

Regards,
Varun


Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Nov 2015
Posts: 65
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 00:47
1
Harley1980 wrote:
11. Forget about point 8. Motivation sucks! All you need is Discipline ;)
Put a really long password on your Facebook and other entertaining accounts. Something like “IReallyWantToPassGmatOn 7++” so when you will have a desire to break the discipline you will be reminded about your past decision and maybe you will return to GMAT stuff instead of Facebook surfing.
Also make a day plan in which put some everyday tasks such as
A) read 10 pages of Manhattan
B) make 10 SC
C) make 10 DS
and just check it day by day in excel: green cells if you make it and red if you don’t. The global picture with a lot of red cells will shame you and green picture will motivate you. Don't use reminders: you should see global picture of your discipline. But be realistic. Make a small plan but from littel tasks but do it every day: this is a way to create new habit.
Discipline is really important part. You need a motivation, but discipline is more important. Do not way for some inspiration: just sit and start to solve tasks and motivation will come to you ;)



i like this point of yours.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2018
Posts: 10
Location: India
CAT Tests
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 21:44
1
Congratulations Sergei. I know I am late (by a couple of years lol), but I am just too scared and nervous at the moment. Tomorrow's my 1st attempt. And I'm not too confident. I've got pathetic GMAT prep (1-6) scores. Your story is really motivating. Will probably utilize it the fullest capability for my next attempt.

A small request though, could you please share your error log? I wanna know how you maintained it throughout. Seems like a bit of a tiring task (or maybe I am imagining it wrong) to keep making the necessary notes and observations for every single question, I'd appreciate some insight.

Thanks!
_________________

Help needed to get to a score of 700+ I'm at all ears!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Feb 2018
Posts: 7
Location: Uruguay
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
CAT Tests
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 08:43
Amazing post! Thanks a lot for sharing such an interesting and detailed story.

Something you said is very important for people like us, stories of 4 weeks and 700+ are not useful when you are struggling. They will make you feel worse.

We need to remember that we are not alone in this struggle, most of the people struggle and lots of people abandon before getting the dream score.

I am still struggling to get my score but I am 100% sure that if I don't give up I will get it.
_________________

Matias

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;) &nbs [#permalink] 25 Oct 2018, 08:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 55 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.