GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 01:40
KS15 wrote:
Congrats on a great score Harley. I have a few questions for you.

1.How much were you scoring in mocks (and which ones) before your exam?
2.Did you try Veritas Prep? I find a lot of the questions there are not good. Whats your opinion?


Hello KS15
There is attachment "Results.xls" in the middle of my debrief and in this attachement on the page "Scores" you can find all my tests.
I did them too much (about 40) so I decided not to put this information in post ;)

I did 4 Veritas CATs. IMO their math are too sly. Manhattan math require too much steps and Veritas has too much wrinkles.
This is really useful for training your inventivness but bad for your confidence and for measuring your results.
For me the best predictor and the best CATs for training are the GMATclub quant tests (after GMAT prep sure thing)

I can't give feedback about Verbal part. In my unprofessional opinion all questions are too far from GMAT prep questions so in last two month I mainly concetrated on prep questions and tried to avoid verbal questions from other sources.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 287
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 13:42
1
Congratulations on the great score! Your hard work earned it! Incredible :shock:

My mistake: I have not done an error log of my mistakes. Now I am seeing I am doing the same mistakes over and over again in quant. I ve also taken Veritas live course and don't see any value in taking another from a different provider. Surprisingly after the course my verbal went down while quant rised. I am now having 2-3 Vertias CATs untaken and 5 Manh CATs as well. I ve retaken gmat prep CATs already twice. Do you think it is worthwhile buying also gmat club CATs? Or those 2 providers + gprep are enough? I ve taken the free gmat club test and half of the questions were above 700, not very representative of the official CAT algorithm.

Thanks
_________________

KUDO me plenty

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 287
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 13:48
1
and btw i ve only discovered gmat club (awesome resoursce!) only a couple of days ago )) wish we had met earlier.

i started preparation in late december last year having bought only OG 15 (full package). oh God I should have browsed the google.
_________________

KUDO me plenty

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 14:07
2
shasadou wrote:
Congratulations on the great score! Your hard work earned it! Incredible :shock:

My mistake: I have not done an error log of my mistakes. Now I am seeing I am doing the same mistakes over and over again in quant. I ve also taken Veritas live course and don't see any value in taking another from a different provider. Surprisingly after the course my verbal went down while quant rised. I am now having 2-3 Vertias CATs untaken and 5 Manh CATs as well. I ve retaken gmat prep CATs already twice. Do you think it is worthwhile buying also gmat club CATs? Or those 2 providers + gprep are enough? I ve taken the free gmat club test and half of the questions were above 700, not very representative of the official CAT algorithm.

Thanks


Hello shasadou.
Thanks for congratulations )

I did not take free test so can say nothing about that. But did almost all from the paid section and they are excellent.
IMO for quant GMATclub tests are the best (after GMAT prep) and now I recommend them to all my friends, who concerned, to buy it.
And there is another option by the way: if you will gain 25 kudos you can exchange them on the access to tests. (this is time consuming but if you have a lot of time and not so much money then it is cool option)

First kudos you already have so it is not so hard to collect 24 more ;)

P.S. Some info about kudos:
kudos-points-on-gmatclub-forum-79704.html
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2015
Posts: 143
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 08:18
Congrats Harley1980 ......great score...been working on questions u have posted recently..have my GMAT scheduled for the weekend...Any tips??....I took GMAT prep QP 1 and got 660 twice....U think i have any chance of breaking through the 700 club with that score in GMAT prep??...i did get a 720 in the GMAT prep but had a few repeat questions...what should be focussing on for the next 3 days?....This is my 1st attempt...
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 08:45
manojsundar1 wrote:
Congrats Harley1980 ......great score...been working on questions u have posted recently..have my GMAT scheduled for the weekend...Any tips??....I took GMAT prep QP 1 and got 660 twice....U think i have any chance of breaking through the 700 club with that score in GMAT prep??...i did get a 720 in the GMAT prep but had a few repeat questions...what should be focussing on for the next 3 days?....This is my 1st attempt...


Hello manojsundar1
Thanks for congratulations.

As I wrote in debrief I believe that in GMAT present a big part of luck. So yes, you have a chances on 700+.
My tactic for 2 last days before exam - is complete relaxation (not with alcohol for sure) but no GMAT in last 2 days.
It is really easy to overburn in last days.

But this is all that I can say about last 3 days.
Sorry, looks I did not help in this question )
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2015
Posts: 143
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 22:07
@harley1980...thanks for the advice..was the GMAT harder than GMAT PREP and QP1??...verbal and quant??....
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 22:40
1
manojsundar1 wrote:
@harley1980...thanks for the advice..was the GMAT harder than GMAT PREP and QP1??...verbal and quant??....


IMO SC was harder. But I read other debriefs and notice that people usually write that XX section was harder when they have some problems with that section.
After my first attempt I had a feeling that math was easy and SC was harder and in that days I found a fresh debrief that says that SC was easy and quant was harder.
So I think this is very subjective evaluation.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2014
Posts: 40
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 07:38
1
Hello Harley,
First off Congratulations!! Excellent Score and incredible story. Its funny how seemingly unknown people come together on such forums. I remember spending countless hours on this forum solving problems posted by Bunuel, and I would always see your posts. And I saw you posting right answers to every problem and I always made sure I read your posts cause your approach was different, short and sweet. I always though at the back of my mind, Man!! This guys so good! And your score clearly reflects your skills. I am really happy for you. Congratulations and good luck with your applications!

Cheers!
NP
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4427
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 08:32
2
Harley1980 Brilliant debrief sir. What I especially liked is your comment about quant on the forums: It is perfectly fine to not understand one way of solving the problem, and in searching for another solution, you probably honed your skills enough to kick some major GMAT butt.

Congratulations on the great score!
_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 09:19
nphatak wrote:
Hello Harley,
First off Congratulations!! Excellent Score and incredible story. Its funny how seemingly unknown people come together on such forums. I remember spending countless hours on this forum solving problems posted by Bunuel, and I would always see your posts. And I saw you posting right answers to every problem and I always made sure I read your posts cause your approach was different, short and sweet. I always though at the back of my mind, Man!! This guys so good! And your score clearly reflects your skills. I am really happy for you. Congratulations and good luck with your applications!

Cheers!
NP


Hello nphatak
Thank you very much. Your words about my solutions is a little unexpected for me so this is even more pleasant )
Good luck with your applications too.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 09:26
1
souvik101990 wrote:
Harley1980 Brilliant debrief sir. What I especially liked is your comment about quant on the forums: It is perfectly fine to not understand one way of solving the problem, and in searching for another solution, you probably honed your skills enough to kick some major GMAT butt.

Congratulations on the great score!


Hello souvik101990.
Thank you for your kind words and thanks for your collections of questions: I can not imagine how much efforts you put in all these packs. I especially like short 10 question collections on some specific topics.
Also big thanks for your post "How to move from V30 to V40" I read it a lot of times when was in despair about my Verbal and did not know what to do further.
Actually now I realized that this post inspire me on writing debrief in such manner so thanks for inspiration ;)
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2014
Posts: 14
GMAT Date: 02-27-2016
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Real Estate)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 10:48
Hi!

I think your is one of the best motivating anti debrief ever!

I am myself coping witht the same problems and I am great with quant or verbal .

but your never give up attitude and the debrief has really charged me up!

good luck with your Applications!.

Unfortunately for me ,My gmat is on the 14th sept so not much time left :( but hoping to do my best.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 11:01
Gmad2015 wrote:
Hi!

I think your is one of the best motivating anti debrief ever!

I am myself coping witht the same problems and I am great with quant or verbal .

but your never give up attitude and the debrief has really charged me up!

good luck with your Applications!.

Unfortunately for me ,My gmat is on the 14th sept so not much time left :( but hoping to do my best.


Thank you for the kind words Gmad2015.
I wish you good luck in your exam!
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 245
Location: India
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 14:52
Hello Harley1980,

Not only does your score stand out, but also does your debrief (anti-debrief) ...notice the idiom there :) Congratulations brother for such an amazing feat, given the situations you mentioned. Truly inspiring.
I gave GMAT in a span of a month (retake) first attempt 690 Q49, V34, i got my weakpoint, worked hard at it. Corresponding mocks, Q50, V36-40, then came my second attempt 2 days back, 690, Q47, V38. Mid way through my quant, i started seeing such easy questions that made me realize that i have screwed it up but i try to ignore that thought and work on the question infront of me even if it was 8th grade level. Finished quant 6-8 minutes before time.
What do u think i could do now? In fact what does one do when your strength becomes the reason for your fall?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 00:59
earnit wrote:
Hello Harley1980,

Not only does your score stand out, but also does your debrief (anti-debrief) ...notice the idiom there :) Congratulations brother for such an amazing feat, given the situations you mentioned. Truly inspiring.
I gave GMAT in a span of a month (retake) first attempt 690 Q49, V34, i got my weakpoint, worked hard at it. Corresponding mocks, Q50, V36-40, then came my second attempt 2 days back, 690, Q47, V38. Mid way through my quant, i started seeing such easy questions that made me realize that i have screwed it up but i try to ignore that thought and work on the question infront of me even if it was 8th grade level. Finished quant 6-8 minutes before time.
What do u think i could do now? In fact what does one do when your strength becomes the reason for your fall?


Hello earnit

I am not sure but it looks like that you are nervous and think too much not about exam but about other things. This state of mind during exam drags your score down.

I hear a lot of times that GMAT is not only test for knowledge but test of your self-control.

Try to read these articles I have a feeling (very subjective) that they help me a lot.

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-gmat-b ... g-picture/
http://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/ ... nprep-com/ (All articles of this author. There present like 5 or 6. I was really sad when I realized that I read last article)
overcome-gmat-exam-anxiety-200070.html#p1538995
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/0 ... ores/?_r=0
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/10 ... -the-gmat/

Good luck in your next attempt. Try to be calm and thinking about current task only ;)
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Mar 2015
Posts: 27
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 20:27
2
Hey, I came to this forum to post a similar experience with non-official practice tests. I was not breaking 670 in Veritas Prep but managed to get your exact CAT score (and Q/V breakdown! We got a different AWA/IR though :-))

Further context: I had originally scored a 710 a year earlier which I was feeling neutral about, and finally decided to re-take it this year, believing that I would be able to improve the score and beat the average of most if not all business schools. After 10 months after my 710, my first GMATPrep practice was 720, and while my Veritas practice runs started at 650. I improved very slowly to a 670, and then practiced a 760 on GMATPrep again.

2 days before my actual GMAT, I took another Veritas prep, and scored 670 again. I was conscious of the disrepancy between the scores and took it as a challenge to do much better on test day. I scored 70 points better.

Hope this helps people keep perspective in their study!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 287
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 02:35
2 weeks ago i scored 710 (q 49 v38) on gmac 2 retake 3 =)) - surprisingly I had drunk 2 shots of vodka (grey goose) on the day before I took the test. dunno whether this helped but i am going to have a couple of shots on friday as well before another mock.

hope i won't become a drunkard before i take my ofcciail exam =))).

btw on quant i answered 17 incorrect questions - how come it is possible? and to prove Harley words: gmac feeds you different questions at different levels, nevetheless this was the 3d retake only very few questions repeated.
_________________

KUDO me plenty

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1241
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 10:03
1
shasadou wrote:
2 weeks ago i scored 710 (q 49 v38) on gmac 2 retake 3 =)) - surprisingly I had drunk 2 shots of vodka (grey goose) on the day before I took the test. dunno whether this helped but i am going to have a couple of shots on friday as well before another mock.

hope i won't become a drunkard before i take my ofcciail exam =))).

btw on quant i answered 17 incorrect questions - how come it is possible? and to prove Harley words: gmac feeds you different questions at different levels, nevetheless this was the 3d retake only very few questions repeated.


Hello shasadou
I mention completely different results after beer drinking: I have a good relax mood but results were worse so I did not drink alcohol during last two monthes before exam.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 131
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 18:40
1
Congratulations Harley1980,
You did it !! .
All the best for your application.
_________________

Regards,
Manish Khare
"Every thing is fine at the end. If it is not fine ,then it is not the end "

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;) &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2015, 18:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 55 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

740 (Q50, V40, AWA 4.5, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.