GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

740 (Q51, V39) in 3 months, started with 620 (Q48, V27) in first mock

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 2.24
CAT Tests
740 (Q51, V39) in 3 months, started with 620 (Q48, V27) in first mock  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 07:51
Just got done with my second attempt at the GMAT exam with a surprising 740 (Q51, V39). I say surprising because this is at least 20 points higher than any mock test I gave in my 3-month long prep. I can't begin to tell how helpful this forum has been, starting from all the study material to all the GMAT experiences which proved to be such a confidence booster. I have posted all my mock and GMAT scores at the bottom of the post.

I took the GMAT for the first time 40 days back, scoring 680 (Q49, V34). At that time I focussed on the official guides and questions banks I found on this forum. But because I was studying for an exam for the first time in eight years, it took me a while to get used to the daily schedule. But I'm glad I had one attempt despite being unprepared because it made me realize what my weak areas (DS, SC, RC) are when I'm put under real test like situation.

For this attempt, I had prepared CR from Powerscore (superawesome source) and was able to complete the book along with some OG practice in 7 days. I didn't really have any plan for DS, SC, and RC, so I just went with flow, picking answers which I felt looked and sounded better than other options instead of building a proper foundation (Big mistake).

Second attempt:
For quant, I knew that I understood all the basics, however, my main problem was time constraint and my temperament after wasting a lot of time on a difficult question or getting one easy question wrong. I didn't know how exactly to tackle quant to hit Q50 or Q51 from my constant Q48, so I started giving GMATClub tests. These tests are a true gem for GMAT quant. I gave one test every 3-4 days and didn't do anything else for quant. It solved both my problems within 4 tests. I was solving the questions way faster than I needed to (I had 5 minutes left for the last question on the real deal) and got used to maintaining a positive attitude throughout the section.

For verbal, I bought e-gmat's verbal package, which was quite helpful for developing a base for SC and for practicing SC and CR from Scholaranium (great product for practicing time constraint). I didn't study/practice RC from the e-gmat course so can't really comment on that. I was afraid of the RC section the most, and till the last day of my prep I was hitting only 60-70% accuracy in RC. Luckily I got 3 easy passages and 1 difficult, which actually I was able to solve quite decently. The RC Butler page created by workout helped me a lot, so it's worth a shot.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-rc-b ... l#p2110839

For candidates scoring in the 650-720 range in mocks – from what I observed on both my attempts is that if you feel the exam is going like a breeze, you're getting all answers right, then chances are you are stuck at an average or below average score. But if you feel that after a few initial questions you are guessing your way through the rest of the test or feel like the rest of the questions are way tougher than what you can solve, then you are probably getting better than expected score. The main thing is to maintain composure. After first 15 questions, I thought I was going to score somewhere around V30-32 but I tried to maintain my composure. Whenever I felt I was losing track, I would take a 10-second breather and tried to focus on getting 2-3 questions right then repeated the same after every 5 questions. This might seem like a horrible advice but it worked for me, so I guess you can give it a try during mocks.

Precautionary tip: Do not rely too much on any mock test score except GMAT Prep (even that has some pitfalls). Just check which questions you got wrong and the reasons, and try to make sure that you avoid such mistakes in the future. My confidence was shattered by my last MGMAT score 1 week before the test and couldn't study for 2-3 days. That turned out to be "hoax".

GMAT Prep 1 – 620
Manhattan 1 – 590
Manhattan 2 – 670
Manhattan 3 – 590
Manhattan 4 – 640
Manhattan 5 – 680
GMAT Prep 2 – 660
Real GMAT Exam 1 – 680

Veritas Free Mock – 690
Kaplan Free Mock –710
Manhattan 6 – 690
Reset GMAT Prep 1 – 720
Real GMAT Exam 2 – 740

Good luck to all,
Cheers
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
Reviews Badge
Re: 740 (Q51, V39) in 3 months, started with 620 (Q48, V27) in first mock  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 08:18
Congratulations on an awesome score!!..your perfect quant score is an icing on the cake....did you used only gmatclub tests or some other resources also?

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member
740 (Q51, V39) in 3 months, started with 620 (Q48, V27) in first mock  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 09:48
jabba
Congrats for the score.
Did you use any other resource in addition of egmat for SC?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: 740 (Q51, V39) in 3 months, started with 620 (Q48, V27) in first mock  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 21:17
AndyDufresne wrote:
Congratulations on an awesome score!!..your perfect quant score is an icing on the cake....did you used only gmatclub tests or some other resources also?

I think GMATClub Tests are more than sufficient if used in the right way. I didn't use any other source for Quant during my second attempt.

Bismarck wrote:
Congrats for the score.
Did you use any other resource in addition of egmat for SC?

For my second attempt, I relied on only e-gmat for SC, even for SC practice.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 21:10
jabba what about CR ?
How did you improve your CR
Any tips on the same
I too have taken egmat course but I find the CR of egmat little different than the OG
CR Forum Moderator
D
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 21:33
Congratulations jabba on the amazing score. Q51 is fantastic. :)

All the best for your applications.

Thanks!

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 22:07
Thanks, gmat1393 :)

teaserbae, even I didn't like E-gmat's CR course. For me, only the SC course of E-gmat worked. (However, I used the Scholaranium quite extensively for CR and SC practice)
For CR, I referred to Powerscore CR Bible and after every concept, I practiced some 20 OG questions of that concept.
For me, I felt that there was a tipping point after which I was able to comprehend each and every CR question quite nicely. Even if I get a few wrong I was able to completely understand those questions and made sure to avoid such mistakes.
If that tipping point doesn't come (and believe me you'll know when you reach that point) after going through the Powerscore Bible then you probably didn't grasp the concepts properly and need to do it again.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 13:15
Hi! I wanted to know if we reset the official gmat mock test - will the questions be different? I got a low score and wanted to check my performance again

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 13:49
Hi prekshita,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), but retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills. Seeing even a few 'repeat' questions can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they normally would be).

Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you use the CAT correctly).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 17:43
Hi prekshita,

If you reset and retake an official practice exam, you’ll likely see repeat questions. Do you have any fresh MBA.com tests you could take? Also, do you need any advice regarding your study plan?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 740 (Q51, V39) in 3 months, started with 620 (Q48, V27) in first mock   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2019, 17:43

740 (Q51, V39) in 3 months, started with 620 (Q48, V27) in first mock

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap