It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 (Q49, V42) - Useful(?) advice on how to go from 700 to 750

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
750 (Q49, V42) - Useful(?) advice on how to go from 700 to 750 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

I graduated from undergrad in May and started studying for the GMAT in July. After doing about 30 seconds of online research, I bought the MGMAT complete set, the OG 2016 and 2016 Quant and Verbal supplements. For about 2 months, I focused exclusively on the OG and MGMAT guides. I did not even bother to take a practice test, rather I just focused on building a solid foundation. I took my first practice test at the end of August and scored a 700(Q47, V38).

I spent about a week going over the practice test that I had just taken and going over the OG some more. Basically, I was aimless. I bought the EMPOWERgmat course through a GmatClub promotion email, largely because it came with the GMAC Exam Packs. The course was great, and the methods were clear, but most of all it provided structure. I'm sure that you can self-study your way to a high GMAT score, but it takes times to build your own study schedule, especially after you get through the foundational material.

Find a structured program, whatever it is, and stick to it. The GMAT tests the same concepts on the quant and verbal over and over again. You should expose yourself over and over again to the main concepts that you know are going to show up on your exam. When a rate question comes up, in the first 5 seconds, you get this comfortable feeling because you've seen all these variations. The forums here are great for that. If you struggle with overlapping set questions, find a question bank with 50 overlapping set questions and spend an entire session until you nail it. Almost all of the quant section can be approached this way through brute force. Expose yourself to as many varieties as you can of the types of questions you know the GMAT is going to ask you.

For the verbal section, I struggled with sentence correction. I was pretty good at narrowing the question down to 1 or 2 options but often would have to guess at that point. In my experience, if this sounds like you it is because you learned the grammar rules and are applying them well, but you are not focusing on the meaning of the sentence. There are often multiple grammatically correct answers. You have to read for meaning. Your SC accuracy can only go so high if you just trying to find parallelism in every answer. It really is a verbal reasoning section, not a grammar test - so if you want to do well you have to reason your way through the answers.

For CR and RC, even more so than with SC, you have to read the prompt until you "get it." The difference between a right and a wrong answer in CR/RC often comes down to one or two words in the answer. Unless you really read and comprehend the prompts, you are going to pick the wrong answer, especially as the difficulty increases. It is worth taking your time and reading the prompts and then moving to the answers, as opposed to hopping back and forth.

In order to do well on this exam, all you have to do is nail the "gettable" questions. There are 37 questions in the quant section and 41 in the verbal section. Even if you're doing well on the exam, most of the questions are something extremely similar to what you've already seen before. Take your time on the questions you can get right, get comfortable with the common question types you know are going to show up, don't stress the crazy hard questions (and its not worth spending hours learning them unless/until you don't have weak sections), and understand the meaning of everything on the verbal section.

Last edited by younggmatstudent on 21 Dec 2017, 18:12, edited 4 times in total.
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: 750 (Q49, V42) - Useful(?) advice on how to go from 700 to 750 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 13:00
Hi younggmatstudent,

That's OUTSTANDING news! With a 750/Q49, you have a GMAT Score that would make any Business School 'happy', so you can comfortably apply to any Programs that interest you. Since you've just graduated with your Undergraduate degree, are you planning to apply to Schools now (such as Harvard's 2+2 Program) or are you looking to build up your Work Experience and apply to School in a few years?

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi younggmatstudent,

That's OUTSTANDING news! With a 750/Q49, you have a GMAT Score that would make any Business School 'happy', so you can comfortably apply to any Programs that interest you. Since you've just graduated with your Undergraduate degree, are you planning to apply to Schools now (such as Harvard's 2+2 Program) or are you looking to build up your Work Experience and apply to School in a few years?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm planning on working for another 2-3 years before applying. I figured that this was the best time to take the GMAT. I still have decent study habits from uni and probably have the most free-time right now as well.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '18, IIMA , IIMC
GPA: 3.77
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 03:31
A very well written debrief. Congratulations on a great score.

I particularly found the information in the last two paragraphs very useful. All the best for your applications (when you do plan to apply) :).

Best Regards,
RS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 07:20
younggmatstudent wrote:
Hi All,

I graduated from undergrad in May and started studying for the GMAT in July. After doing about 30 seconds of online research, I bought the MGMAT complete set, the OG 2016 and 2016 Quant and Verbal supplements. For about 2 months, I focused exclusively on the OG and MGMAT guides. I did not even bother to take a practice test, rather I just focused on building a solid foundation. I took my first practice test at the end of August and scored a 700(Q47, V38).

I spent about a week going over the practice test that I had just taken and going over the OG some more. Basically, I was aimless. I bought the EMPOWERgmat course through a GmatClub promotion email, largely because it came with the GMAC Exam Packs. The course was great, and the methods were clear, but most of all it provided structure. I'm sure that you can self-study your way to a high GMAT score, but it takes times to build your own study schedule, especially after you get through the foundational material.

Find a structured program, whatever it is, and stick to it. The GMAT tests the same concepts on the quant and verbal over and over again. You should expose yourself over and over again to the main concepts that you know are going to show up on your exam. When a rate question comes up, in the first 5 seconds, you get this comfortable feeling because you've seen all these variations. The forums here are great for that. If you struggle with overlapping set questions, find a question bank with 50 overlapping set questions and spend an entire session until you nail it. Almost all of the quant section can be approached this way through brute force. Expose yourself to as many varieties as you can of the types of questions you know the GMAT is going to ask you.

For the verbal section, I struggled with sentence correction. I was pretty good at narrowing the question down to 1 or 2 options but often would have to guess at that point. In my experience, if this sounds like you it is because you learned the grammar rules and are applying them well, but you are not focusing on the meaning of the sentence. There are often multiple grammatically correct answers. You have to read for meaning. Your SC accuracy can only go so high if you just trying to find parallelism in every answer. It really is a verbal reasoning section, not a grammar test - so if you want to do well you have to reason your way through the answers.

For CR and RC, even more so than with SC, you have to read the prompt until you "get it." The difference between a right and a wrong answer in CR/RC often comes down to one or two words in the answer. Unless you really read and comprehend the prompts, you are going to pick the wrong answer, especially as the difficulty increases. It is worth taking your time and reading the prompts and then moving to the answers, as opposed to hopping back and forth.

In order to do well on this exam, all you have to do is nail the "gettable" questions. There are 37 questions in the quant section and 41 in the verbal section. Even if you're doing well on the exam, most of the questions are something extremely similar to what you've already seen before. Take your time on the questions you can get right, get comfortable with the common question types you know are going to show up, don't stress the crazy hard questions (and its not worth spending hours learning them unless/until you don't have weak sections), and understand the meaning of everything on the verbal section.

Hi
Congratulations on your great Gmat score.
Best of luck for the applications.
You are spot on. Empowergmat videos and lessons are truly very useful.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 18:18
Hi younggmatstudent,

Focusing on the GMAT now - so that you could 'lock up' a high score and apply later - was a smart move. With that type of score, I assume you're going to consider some highly-competitive Programs when it comes time to apply. When you get to that point, you would likely find it useful to speak with an Admissions Expert about your profile and applications. We have a 'go-to' Expert who we recommend - and as an EMPOWERgmat Alum, we can set you up with a free consultation. Feel free to reach out when you're planning to apply and we'll help set it up.

Congrats again on all of your success so far!

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.23
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 19:30
younggmatstudent wrote:
Hi All,

Congratulations on your score.Very Helpful debrief ,I can absolutely relate to it. All the best for the rest of your application.
Re: 750 (Q49, V42) - Useful(?) advice on how to go from 700 to 750   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 19:30

750 (Q49, V42) - Useful(?) advice on how to go from 700 to 750

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap