GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 15:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

760 on First Attempt - While working Full-time, non-Quant background

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
760 on First Attempt - While working Full-time, non-Quant background  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 05:15
Since my score is definitely attributable to the gmatclub website and resources, want to contribute back by sharing my journey for whoever's interested and hopefully provide motivation for some.

Myself: Working a full time job with a heavy workload, no luxury of spending dedicated days to study ( I wish I was back in university undergrad days! ) Decided to start prep 8 months ago and the plan was to slowly grind my way through.

Given my limited time and bandwidth, I decided not to waste too much time analyzing the test structure and question type. This is perhaps unconventional given the amount of strategising taking place on this website and many others, but I didn't want to waste brainspace. Till now, I have no clear idea what CR, V, AWA, RC etc etc and all these acronyms mean and I only read up timing strategies the night before the test (for those who are taking my path, perhaps its good to remember the most efficient data point: Quant 5 questions in 10 minutes, Verbal 5 questions in 9 minutes)

So with all these clutter kept out of my head, I just started practicing from day 1. Again unconventionally, I did not care about timing (as consistent with the above fact that I did not know timing strategies till the night before). I figure that if I'm good and proficient enough through practice, timing will be a secondary issue. Hence, I also did no bother doing full tests and had never done one before the real exam (I also did not have the luxury of having 2-3 hour blocks of time, I was and am still that busy)

Since I knew Quant was my weakness, I spent each day for the past 8 months doing 10 questions each night. Just 10, and understanding where I went wrong (or falling asleep at the computer while doing so late at night) I just went from one test database to another, official guide, princeton guide, kaplan books, gmatclub, veritas prep and magoosh. It doesn't need to cost much as you can get second hand books off ebay/amazon/local resellers.

Of the lot,
1) The official guide was essential to understand the question type and structure. You gotta start somewhere! Both for quant and verbal
2) Once you get the hang of the questions, quickly proceed to doing the testbank questions and don't waste time studying theory.
3) gmatclub was the best for Quant - there is no alternative. I did the entire gmatclub quant bank twice.
4) magoosh is best for verbal. I also did the entire magoosh verbal testbank twice.

The usual learning discipline must apply - learn from your mistakes. Again I emphasis here that I focused much less on timing that understanding how to do the question efficiently.

Doing all the above brought me pretty much to the test date itself. During the actual examination, I focused on the questions and only once in a while checked the timing. In sequence, Quant timing was tight (I guessed 1 question), while I finished verbal with 12 minutes to spare (U will learn to read fast after doing the magoosh testbank 2 times over). I didn't even know what was intergrated reasoning before I saw the actual questions but those are just basic intelligence tests. Analytic writing was my last section and I just let the words loose (with proper argument flow and structure of course).

So I hope this presents an alternative approach to the test --> Practice makes perfect, keep out the distractions and clutter, and practice. Be consistent, make up for quantity with quality practice. Keep at it, chip away at it. And you will get there.

Cheers!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 760 on First Attempt - While working Full-time, non-Quant background  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 10:03
Congratulations

All the best for profile and interviews... :thumbup:

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: 760 on First Attempt - While working Full-time, non-Quant background  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 18:12
Congratulations on getting it done. You achieved a great score, seemingly ignoring the most common advice/rules (not stretching prep for more than 6 months, having time to study and review, taking full tests, etc) - good on you - proves that the power of one's will can overcome everything and vice versa.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 03:31
Congrats! :thumbup: That's a stellar score! :-) . Best of luck for your application!

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Re: 760 on First Attempt - While working Full-time, non-Quant background &nbs [#permalink] 01 Feb 2018, 03:31

760 on First Attempt - While working Full-time, non-Quant background

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap