Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: 760 - Review My Plan/More Advice Needed [#permalink]
Nice prep scores ! I had all my prep scores between 760 & 780 as well, and I gave myself 2 weeks for the GMAT. I still think I had too much time ... So my piece of advice to you is rather than trying to optimize the last 10 in your score, give the test soon and do it while you are at your peak.

I ended up with a 760 myself in the real thing, and I will be honest, I was disappointed at first because I knew I screwed up my verbal and could have gotten higher. But that phase was ephemeral, you have to realize the extra gain per 10 point of GMAT score is very very small once you are above 750 as well. Its great to aim for 800, but you won't really gain a huge advantage out of this ... so don't spend months trying to squeeze out that score.

The "advantage" v/s GMAT score has a very flat slope beyond a point ... its more important to focus on crossing that threshold
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
You may want to read this study plan:

gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies!

To address some of the sentiments that have been expressed, I do not actually have a particular score that I am taking aim at, not even 800. Sure, that would be nice, but I'm not going to bash myself against a brick wall trying to achieve perfect. It's more like at this point, I don't feel like I've maximized all of my potential. At the very least, I should get perfect on quantitative (the math geek in me is displeased that I got so many wrong), and try for the same in sentence correction as well. Most likely, I'll hit a plateau somewhere with CR and RC.

If it ends up that 780 is my plateau score, I could be happy with that, knowing that that is the true extent of my abilities. Or hey, maybe 760 already is my plateau. However, I won't know either way for certain without further practice/experience. For me, further GMAT practice isn't just about improving but also about narrowing down my expectations. I want to go into the test feeling 95% certain that I will score, say, between 760 and 780, as opposed to feeling 50% certain that I will score between 700 and 800 (which is how I would feel if I were to walk in and take the GMAT now - and tending more towards the lower end). Hope that makes sense.

bmillan01: My memory's fuzzy on the exact numbers, but I think I got 2 - 3 wrong on math (at least one careless mistake), and a lot more wrong on verbal - maybe 7? Funny thing is, the OG diagnostic better reflected my perceived weaknesses than the software diagnostic did; my problem areas on the OG diagnostic were concentrated in, you guessed it, CR and RC. I can see how the computer-adaptive diagnostic would have kept throwing harder and harder math (particularly DS) and SC questions at me, but I guess I simply got lucky with verbal, with regards to CR and RC.

Based on your suggestions, I'm going to expand my repertoire to include PowerScore (thanks for the LSAT tip!), and also going to take a look at Jeff Sackmann's book.

Oh, and still looking for a good essay book for the analysis of an issue/argument essays. My diagnostic essays were an embarrassment.

Thanks again, everyone!
GMAT Club Bot