Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A 3-character alpha-numeric code does have the following properties

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
e-GMAT Representative
V
A 3-character alpha-numeric code does have the following properties  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 01:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (01:44) correct 15% (01:41) wrong based on 97 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A 3-character alpha-numeric code does have the following properties – the first character can be any number except 0 and 9, the second character can be any small letter between a to z, excluded, and the third character can have any of those characters possible for the first two places. How many such codes can be formed?

A. 26
B. 64
C. 520
D. 6144
E. 9360

Related Articles:

Article-1: Learn when to “Add” and “Multiply” in Permutation & Combination questions
Article-2: Fool-proof method to Differentiate between Permutation & Combination Questions
Article-3: 3 deadly mistakes you must avoid in Permutation & Combination

All Articles: Must Read Articles and Practice Questions to score Q51 !!!!

GPA: 3.12
A 3-character alpha-numeric code does have the following properties  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 03:04
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
A 3-character alpha-numeric code does have the following properties – the first character can be any number except 0 and 9, the second character can be any small letter between a to z, excluded, and the third character can have any of those characters possible for the first two places. How many such codes can be formed?

A. 26
B. 64
C. 520
D. 6144
E. 9360

The 3 character alpha-numeric code has the following characters

First character - Any number except 0 and 9 - Total of 10 - 2 = 8 possibilities
Second character - Any small letter except a and z - Total of 26 - 2 = 24 possibilities
Third character - Any number except 0 and 9 or Any small letter except a and z - Total of 8 + 24 = 32 possibilities

In this case, to find the total number of possibilities, we can use the unit's digit to find the
answer as number ending 8 * number ending 4 * number ending 2 is a number ending 4.
Also, the answer must be close to 10*20*30 is a little more than 6000.
P.S when the answer options are far apart, we can use approximations to arrive at the answer

Therefore, Option D(6144) is the the total number of 3-character alpha-numberic codes.
V
Re: A 3-character alpha-numeric code does have the following properties  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 03:32
pushpitkc wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

A. 26
B. 64
C. 520
D. 6144
E. 9360

The 3 character alpha-numeric code has the following characters

First character - Any number except 0 and 9 - Total of 10 - 2 = 8 possibilities
Second character - Any small letter except a and z - Total of 26 - 2 = 24 possibilities
Third character - Any number except 0 and 9 or Any small letter except a and z - Total of 8 + 24 = 32 possibilities

In this case, to find the total number of possibilities, we can use the unit's digit to find the
answer as number ending 8 * number ending 4 * number ending 2 is a number ending 4.
Also, the answer must be close to 10*20*30 is a little more than 6000.
P.S when the answer options are far apart, we can use approximations to arrive at the answer

Therefore, Option C(6144) is the the total number of 3-character alpha-numberic codes.

I think your calculations and answer is correct but by mistake you have mentioned option C in your answer (in brackets though the actual answer is right). I hope this helps.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Re: A 3-character alpha-numeric code does have the following properties  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 03:56
Once again, thanks Manish!
V

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 04:00
pushpitkc wrote:
Once again, thanks Manish!

You are welcome!! The short cuts of approximation and using the units digits are nice. Time saving.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
e-GMAT Representative
V

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 01:55

Solution

Given:
    • The code is of 3-character alpha-numeric
    • 1st character can be any number except 0 and 9
    • 2nd character can be any small letter between a to z, excluded
    • 3rd character can be any of those characters possible for the first two places

To find:
    • Keeping all the constraints satisfied, how many such codes can be formed

Approach and Working:
    • As the 1st character can be any number except 0 and 9, number of possibilities exist for the first character = 8
    • As the 2nd character can be any small letter between a to z, excluded, number of possibilities exist for the second character = 24
    • As the 3rd character can be any of those characters possible for the first two places, number of possibilities exist for the third character = 8 + 24 = 32
    • Therefore, the total number of possible codes = 8 * 24 * 32 = 6144

Hence, the correct answer is option D.

Answer: D
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 16:19
Three different characters: C1 C2 C3
Theory: When calculating the number of items it is (xn-xa)+1

C1
8-1+1=8

C2
25th letter is y; 2nd letter is b
25-2+1=24

C3
8+24=32

Theory: Fundamental counting rule C1·C2·C3
8·24·32

I don't like multiplying 3 numbers together. I split the 8 up
(4·24)·(2·32)=96·64

Theory: the units digits of the answer results only from the units digits of the inputs
6·4=x4, so we know the answer ends in 4

B is too small. D must be the answer
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A 3-character alpha-numeric code does have the following properties   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2018, 16:19

A 3-character alpha-numeric code does have the following properties

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics