GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 18:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Steps to a 5 Star Recommendation

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Nov. 14, 9 AM PST. Donna Bauman, Senior MBA Admissions Counselor and Lisa Cummings, MBA Admissions Counselor at Stratus have read tens of THOUSANDS of MBA recommendations during their time on top MBA admissions committees.
  • MBA Interview Prep: How to Ace Your Interviews

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Learn the steps you need to take to ace your interviews and get accepted!

a 730 vs a 710-- some help needed

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
a 730 vs a 710-- some help needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Feb 2018, 11:13
Hi all,

I just took the gmat again and got a 730

So my new total score is above the average at all the schools im applying to, although my quant dropped.

I understand my scores indicate the same level of ability, but I'm planning on sending my new score of 730 -- my worry though is if course the quant drop and the fact that my scores are essentially so close together.

Is it worth submitting the 730 given it's higher than the average for those schools? If so, how should I explain it?

Thank you!

Originally posted by urbanac on 03 Feb 2018, 16:45.
Last edited by urbanac on 05 Feb 2018, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: a 730 vs a 710-- some help needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 20:42
A 20-point increase is it completely legitimate basis for an update. It's not too close together at all. And the fact that they're over the average I mean that doesn't even matter at all. The more the better always! At least when it comes to your GMAT score. I mean if the average was 700 and you went from 740 to 760 I would tell you the same thing. Quant, don't think there's a grave concern, they have your old score so they know that you're capable of the previous score. And it's only one point it's totally worth it to get 20 more points on the board. However if you're getting WL, I have a strong suspicion that there's more going on than your GMAT and it really has to do with your applications. Keep in mind that nobody really cares about your GMAT unless your application indicates someone that they want to invite to their family. Lots of people forget that but I work with folks who get 780 scores and shut out without an interview.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 04:03
urbanac wrote:
Hi all,

I've been waitlisted at 2 top ten schools, and I have applications out at another 2.

My scores were 700 (44 Q 44 V) and 710 (47 Q and 42V)

I just took the gmat again and got a 730 (46 Q and 44 V).

So my new total score is above the average at all the schools im applying to, although my quant dropped from 47 to 46 :x .

I understand my scores indicate the same level of ability, but I'm planning on sending my new score of 730 to the 4 schools above-- my worry though is if course the quant drop and the fact that my scores are essentially so close together.

Is it worth submitting the 730 given it's higher than the average for those schools? If so, how should I explain it? Should I explain the 1 point drop in quant ?

Thank you!

Hi urbanac,

Thanks for your query.

Yes, you must most certainly report the new score (730). The higher the score, the better it is, always! :)
Having said the above, we suggest that along with the score, you also report any profile improvements you may have had since the time you submitted your application (extra-curricular/professional). You may speak about any new projects you've taken up or leadership roles you've been asked to play.
The minor drop in quant score does not need to be explained. The very fact that you are capable of a higher quant score will be evident to the Admissions Committee from your previous score :)

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 15:07
I would for sure..provide this update. Although scores do focus a ton on your quant score that overall score is really important as well and also helps them out when it comes to rankings and things like that. This is also a good opportunity to re-engage with the school and maybe bundle any other updates you may have or simply to also re-confirm interest.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: a 730 vs a 710-- some help needed &nbs [#permalink] 13 Feb 2018, 15:07

a 730 vs a 710-- some help needed

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap